Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

Noticed a couple of 'character sets' anomalies....

Theeb showing up as:

Protégé showing up as:

Okay, bumping this!

So far, no big issues with the beta test, that I can see. Great news. Just checking to see if anyone else has had any major technical issues (not feature/usability suggestions, not quite yet). If so, let me know ASAP. If not, hopefully can integrate this a bit more, and redesign the Lists page to focus on the custom lists more, and add some more features.

Ah yeah, that's separate. Sorry should have clarified was just checking for the new stuff. All the other stuff is in flux since we're changing a lot soon.

Okay, fixed. But that might be replaced soon.

Anyway, gonna leave this open over the weekend for people to test things a bit more/report any basic functionality issues. Once that's done I'll look into moving forward next week.

Also answers to Jabba
@Yoda is there any update in adding some functionality to these?

As far as I can tell, they only show in your profile and you can't edit them.

@Yoda is there any update in adding some functionality to these?

As far as I can tell, they only show in your profile and you can't edit them.
Yes. Unfortunately a few life things (you can guess most of them) delayed this a bit, and then I started working on the Refresh List stuff, so it's pushed back a bit, but it's coming soon! You can keep using this knowing it'll be featured more prominently in the coming months.

You should be able to edit them, though: https://www.movieforums.com/addlist.php

Bumping this!

Once the countdown is finished I'm turning my attention to expanding/polishing the Custom Lists feature, in concert with re-doing the Lists area in general.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Bumping this!

Once the countdown is finished I'm turning my attention to expanding/polishing the Custom Lists feature, in concert with re-doing the Lists area in general.
I put up the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list in blocks of 100. All editions combined.

Problems with lists:

Avengers: Endgame shows up as Untitled Avengers Movie, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (1201-).

Y Tu Mamá También looks like this Y tu mamĂĄ tambiĂŠn, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (1001-1100).

Hôtel Terminus looks like this HĂ´tel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (801-900).

L'Argent looks like this L’argent, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (701-800).

Cría Cuervos looks like this CrĂ*a Cuervos, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (601-700).

High School (1968) date is listed as 2010, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (501-600).

Mediterranean looks like this MĂŠditerranĂŠe.

Masculin Féminin looks like this Masculin FĂŠminin.

Marketa Lazarová looks like this Marketa LazarovĂĄ, all three from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (401-500).

Lola Montčs looks like this Lola Montès, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (201-300).

Ivan the Terrible is listed as Ivan the Terrible, Parts I & II, from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (101-200).

Metropolis is listed as Metropolis [2010 Restoration], from 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (1-100).

Thanks. All the weird symbol things are one bug, about text encoding, so consider that covered if you see any more example: they should all vanish with the fix.

I'm not sure what to do about the others, since if we're going to reproduce lists we need to reproduce the specific restorations or groupings they do. That'll probably just have to stay.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I'll put it here just in case. After I use the "Find a film" box on the main lists page and click on a user's custom list (normal lists are still fine), it just takes me back to the lists page instead of the list I selected. If that makes sense.

Thanks. I'll have to check, that's either because a) I haven't linked up everything yet or b) it won't show you lists that haven't been made Public, in which case obviously I should exclude them from the search.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Nice work! Just minor problems.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I'll put it here just in case. After I use the "Find a film" box on the main lists page and click on a user's custom list (normal lists are still fine), it just takes me back to the lists page instead of the list I selected. If that makes sense.
Okay, this should be fixed now, too.

Cool.

Anyway, yeah, if anyone wants to influence this new feature, and Lists stuff in general, now is your best chance, by testing this feature and throwing out ideas. I'll probably be getting really into this again in the next few weeks.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm having trouble finding films with generic titles if I want to add them to a list - a couple of examples Ran (1985) and The Ascent (1977). They just don't show up in the options when I type them into the box. I can see other people have managed to find them though as they appear in other custom lists so maybe there's something I'm not doing.

I can see other people have managed to find them though as they appear in other custom lists so maybe there's something I'm not doing.
Personally I generally try their titles in other languages (from the Also Known As tag on their IMDb page). Others might have better tricks but that's been the one that's helped me out a few times.

I'm having trouble finding films with generic titles if I want to add them to a list - a couple of examples Ran (1985) and The Ascent (1977). They just don't show up in the options when I type them into the box. I can see other people have managed to find them though as they appear in other custom lists so maybe there's something I'm not doing.
Nah, it's not you, the autocomplete can be a little funky (it's from an external source, so there's only so much I can do).

From similar previous reports, though, I built a tool that allows you to post a TMDb or IMDb URL and have it look up the film from that. It's not quite ready for public consumption (I need to make sure adding films that way checks for duplicates and list size limits), but I've just added it for you, specifically, so you can give it a quick test. Have another go, if you would, and let me know if that works (and if it's intuitive and all that).