My Favorite Jeff Bridges Performances

Tools    

One of my favorite actors whose work I enjoy so much that I will see a movie for no other reason than the fact that he is in it. A richly versatile actor who has never been typecast and no matter what actor he is working with, never fades into the woodwork and never steals another actor's thunder. And now, my favorite performances of the awesome Jeff Bridges:

One of my favorite actors whose work I enjoy so much that I will see a movie for no other reason than the fact that he is in it. A richly versatile actor who has never been typecast and no matter what actor he is working with, never fades into the woodwork and never steals another actor's thunder. And now, my favorite performances of the awesome Jeff Bridges:
Mine would probably be Starman, which I mentioned elsewhere on the site a few months ago as being I think one of the best screen aliens. It's a phenomenal performance. And The Fisher King amuses me.

A long long time ago in a different century, the 80's, I didnt quite take to Jeff Bridges. He kinda came off like John Cusack does to me now, competent but overrated. Then 3 movies turned me from my shallow opinion of him - American Heart, Fearless, and White Squall.

You know who would have made the best Batman 35 years ago?! Jeff Effin Bridges is who! He has the leading man thing down, can act, is ok to look but not too pretty, but most importantly he has presence. That intangible which theyve never been able to truly nail with anyone thats played Batman. Batman is presence. Just a look would make you shudder, not only do you hear every word he says, but youll never forget them. Jeff Bridges can pull that off.

I like him. Ok fav performance of all time? Its a toss up between White Squall or Seabiscuit, two completely different performances for two actual people he portrayed. Ill say White Squall, he just seemed "dialed in" with that one.

Mike Olson, In Search of America

The first time I ever laid eyes on Bridges was in this 1971 TV movie about a college dropout who convinces his parents (Carl Betz, Vera Miles) to drop everything, load their lives into a VW bus and travel across the country. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around old enough to remember this movie and if you can find it somewhere, you're a better man than I.

Vernon Hightower, Nadine

A forgotten gem on the Bridges resume...he plays a guy who is enlisted by his soon to be ex-wife (Kim Basinger) to retrieve some compromising photos of her and find themselves involved with some very dangerous people...another movie I'm pretty sure no one else has ever seen.

A long long time ago in a different century, the 80's, I didnt quite take to Jeff Bridges. He kinda came off like John Cusack does to me now, competent but overrated. Then 3 movies turned me from my shallow opinion of him - American Heart, Fearless, and White Squall.

You know who would have made the best Batman 35 years ago?! Jeff Effin Bridges is who! He has the leading man thing down, can act, is ok to look but not too pretty, but most importantly he has presence. That intangible which theyve never been able to truly nail with anyone thats played Batman. Batman is presence. Just a look would make you shudder, not only do you hear every word he says, but youll never forget them. Jeff Bridges can pull that off.

I like him. Ok fav performance of all time? Its a toss up between White Squall or Seabiscuit, two completely different performances for two actual people he portrayed. Ill say White Squall, he just seemed "dialed in" with that one.
I have never understood all the hate for John Cusack on this site...what is that about?

Lightfoot, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Bridges received his first Oscar nomination for his breezy performance as the new sidekick to a career criminal (Clint Eastwood) trying to get his old gang back together again.

Jack Forrester, Jagged Edge

Bridges gives a slick performance as a millionaire accused of murdering his wife who romances his attorney (Glenn Close) in order to elicit her sympathy...I love this performance because you're never sure until the final frame whether or not this guy is guilty and that's because of Bridges' performance.

Duane Jackson, The Last Picture Show

Bridges was memorable as a high school football hero who competes with his best friend Sonny (Timothy Bottoms) for the town tramp (Cybill Shepherd).

Gregory Larkin, The Mirror has Two Faces

Bridges seamlessly combines nerdy with sexy as a college professor who enters into a platonic marriage with a fellow professor (Barbra Streisand).

Gotta be thunderbolt and Lightfoot, that film made me cry like a little girl!

Mine would be....

1. Fearless
2. Crazy Heart
3. True Grit
4. The Big Lebowski
5. American Heart
6. The Fisher King
7. Starman
8. Tucker: The Man and His Dream
9. Fat City
10. Thunderbolt & Lightfoot
11. Cutter’s Way
12. The Last Picture Show
13. The Fabulous Baker Boys
14. Bad Company
15. White Squall

And now, back to Gideon's regularly scheduled countdown...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Please hold your applause till after the me.
I know he won an Oscar for Crazy Heart, and was also nominated for True Grit, but even so, it's still like, my opinion man.

BIG LEBOWSKI ALL THE WAY!

If you couldn't already tell from my profile picture.

I know he won an Oscar for Crazy Heart, and was also nominated for True Grit, but even so, it's still like, my opinion man.

BIG LEBOWSKI ALL THE WAY!

If you couldn't already tell from my profile picture.
Wow, somebody wants The Big Lebowski to be #1...I'm shocked.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, everyone knows that the #1 spot belongs to Iron Man.

Gideon probably won't have that at all. I know Gideon. Gideon has taste.