JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Good reviews, Jaydee.

I thought Assassination of Jesse James was one of the best westerns I've ever seen. The beauty of the film itself and the subtlety of the performances really grabbed me and held me. I didn't have a problem with pacing or lack of action myself, and felt the film was a pitch-perfect balance between being lyrical and realistic.

No Country was excellent but I also was let down by the ending. It was okay but compared to the rest of the film, anti-climactic. Otherwise, it was very suspenseful and full of memorable characters.

Lastly, TWBB. I also liked that film very much, though I did feel it was a bit slow at times. I also was taken aback by the ending but in its case, I think it fits the descent into paranoia and madness that seemed to define the lead character. Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome as usual.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Good reviews, Jaydee.
Thank you very much

Nice write-up. People really like this film, but I still don't know why. I guess I'll paraphrase Gordon Gecko in Wall Street here: "Boring is Good!" But Boring is in the Eye of the Beholder, isn't it? I can't help but think it would be twice as good if there was an hour less. Sorry. I'd nominate it for Cinematography obviously (although I actually thought that Deakins' work in No Country For Old Men was worthier that year), but not much else.
Thanks Mark. Coming from you I take that as a great compliment. Even if the film itself isn't a big hit with you. And I can understand you finding it boring. I thought I might, and was surprised to see just how much I engaged with it. There was just something about it that drew me in. Although I'm not sure it's a film I'd watch all that often. And could perhaps find it boring in future.

And yes you're right about that. One person can find something a masterpiece, for another person boring. For example I'd be close to calling 2001 boring but I know you're a great admirer of that. On your top 100 list I think

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
And yes you're right about that. One person can find something a masterpiece, for another person boring. For example I'd be close to calling 2001 boring but I know you're a great admirer of that. On your top 100 list I think
Certainly, but I think if 2001 were an hour shorter, it would probably be less than half as good..

By the way, I did watch Jesse James three times the first time around.

By the way, I did watch Jesse James three times the first time around.
How do you mean? 3 times back to back, or three times when it was at the cinema or what?

Three times in three days on DVD.
Wow and that's a film you didn't even particularly like. Don't think I'd ever do that even with a film I was a massive fan of

Wow and that's a film you didn't even particularly like. Don't think I'd ever do that even with a film I was a massive fan of
Really? I can remember a couple of films which I bought, sat and watched and then rewound (yes, it was video) and watched again straight away.

There's one film, which is on my list so I won't name it here, which I saw twice at the cinema, bought on its first day of release and then watched every day (sometimes twice a day) for a month and, when I was a kid, when I got Star Wars I watched it almost every day for the whole of the school summer holidays.

Not that I'm calling that normal, of course. My mum can't understand why anyone would buy a film, especially if they've already seen it.

Really? I can remember a couple of films which I bought, sat and watched and then rewound (yes, it was video) and watched again straight away.

There's one film, which is on my list so I won't name it here, which I saw twice at the cinema, bought on its first day of release and then watched every day (sometimes twice a day) for a month and, when I was a kid, when I got Star Wars I watched it almost every day for the whole of the school summer holidays.

Not that I'm calling that normal, of course. My mum can't understand why anyone would buy a film, especially if they've already seen it.
Lol! You remind me of myself when I was a nipper.
As you can tell from my avatar and my top 10, Young Guns is my favourite movie. I watched it every day without fail for about 5 years running from the age of 10 till I was 15.
Works out at well over 1800 times I've watched it.
Being as I'm now 30, It's probably closer to 1900.

Ah video. How retro of you!

As a kid yeah I would do that but nowadays I find that if I watch something too often (films or tv shows) their impact and enjoyment are lessened. I like too try and keep them as fresh as possible so that I don't remember every single line and scene.
Some good reviews there JayDee. Particularly liked your look at Pleasantville.
Thanks Rodent. (I feel like I'm insulting you just by calling you your username. )

As you can tell from my avatar and my top 10, Young Guns is my favourite movie
Jar Jar Binks was in Young Guns?!!! Wow I really need to watch that movie some time!

Jar Jar Binks was in Young Guns?!!! Wow I really need to watch that movie some time!

He was the plucky comic relief that the director put in after post production.
He was intended to be in the original movie. They just didn't have the powerful enough technology at the time of originally making the film.

Just bringing over a load of my mini reviews from the movie tab thread. I just like to have them all in the one place, nice and organised. Also arranged the first post to include links to all the reviews, and went back and changed the format for some of the reviews.

mirror

Phantom of the Paradise

I think this is just a deliriously entertaining piece of nonsense. If you want an idea of plot, it's pretty much a gaudy, camp, glam rock take on Phantom of the Opera

Not all of its ideas work, and it's quite dated at points but that just adds to its charm and cultiness. It has a number of truly memorable characters, and a number of wonderful striking scenes; including it's own fantastic take on the shower scene from Psycho.

There are some great performances from Paul Williams (as Swan) and Gerrit Graham (as Beef), but by far the star here is William Finley, who is just excellent as The Phantom. It's got to be some of the best emoting with just one eye acting I've ever seen!

Quite why the film doesn't have a bigger cult following is a bit of a mystery to me. It doesn't even come close to that of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, the film you could probably most obviously connect it with. I actually feel that I should be following the example of Mark and others by classifying this with a cult or camp rating.

Just damn good fun. If you get the chance give it a shot. You may hate it, but it could also become one of your very favourites.

mirror

You Can't Take It With You

++

An engaging little charmer of a film; pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Frank Capra. A film full of kooky and goofball characters it's just all so sweet and fun, and all exists in that so very Capra-esque world. It's also a great example of the phrase “they don't make them like that anymore”, and with good reason. If someone tried to make a film like this today the critics would probably crucify it. The story itself is not exactly the most creative, a lot of the time coming across as little more than just a device to get us from one set-piece to another.

James Stewart is, well, James Stewart, and all that entails. It's another of his trademark likable, slightly bumbling everyman roles. And following her delightful showing in Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Jean Arthur is just adorable again and I am very quickly finding myself falling for her, and definitely plan on tracking down more of her work. Oh and I could not believe that the loveable Grandpa was played by Lionel Barrymore, the same guy as the despicable Mr Potter from It's a Wonderful Life. I didn't even realise it until I saw his name in the credits. Talk about two polar opposite roles.

mirror

Drive

-

I wasn't sure whether to review this or not, as I really wasn't sure what to make of it after just one watch. Decided just to post some quick thoughts.

While I did enjoy the film I found it to be on quite a superficial, shallow level. I enjoyed it for being stylish, slick and almost painfully 'cool', but not much more. For a film hailed as a masterpiece my some, and as film of the year by many I expected something more. I'm quite willing to admit I perhaps missed the point, and indeed hope that I did. It's certainly a film I want to watch again however.

mirror

Leave Her to Heaven

+

For the first hour I just found this a bit too slow for my liking. I'm all for fleshing out characters and building the story, but for me it went too far and was to the detriment of my enjoyment. After that however it does pick up, pretty much starting from the moment where Ellen starts to stalk Danny in the boat. From there it is a tense, nervy experience as we wait to see just how far she will go to get what she wants.

As well as looking pretty damn gorgeous Laura Tierney is great as the unhinged, monstrous Ellen. While you're appalled by her there is also something quite hypnotic and mesmerising about her. Oh and the film also looks fantastic in all its Technicolor glory. For such a perverse, noirish movie about obsession it feels quite strange to be painted in such broad and bold colours, but it works.

I should add a disclaimer though that I wasn't feeling that great when I watched this, which may have hampered my enjoyment of it.

mirror

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Considering the subject and the story this just didn't come across as powerful as it should, at least until the heartbreaking last five minutes. It comes across as a bit of a shock compared to the rest of the film which is quite gentle by comparison. Or as gentle as a film about a concentration camp can.

It all just feels so very English. It's like an ITV evening drama or something. And most of the elements feel like it. There is nothing particularly bad about the acting, writing, directing etc but there's nothing particularly noteworthy or impressive either.

I do think however it would be a good film to show in schools. I think it can be difficult as a kid to truly get your mind around a situation like the Holocaust; the numbers and the atrocities just seem too vast to really comprehend. This film is able to take a small, personal tale and relate it to the larger picture that is going on.

The film actually reminded me of American Dad. That might sound strange but stick with me. There was an episode outside of the normal American Dad universe, set in the world of James Bond. As usual the villain has a great plan to destroy the world – he wants to make the world cry itself to death. So he makes a film about a young Jewish boy having to hide in Nazi Germany. As if that wasn't enough he is mentally retarded and has an alcohol problem, and the little puppy he has dies from cancer. The boy and the film were called Oscar Gold. It's a film which feels like it was designed just to pull on your heartstrings and to be critically acclaimed.

mirror
The Descendants

A really quality bit of film making from the mind of Alexander Payne. It's a sweet and touching effort, with a large amount of laughs over its course. More than you might expect to find given the plot. Perhaps there aren't any real big belly laughs but a lot of chuckles. I saw it described as a bit of a weepie by some people but I didn't find it to be so. Yes it's quite moving, and yes it has a couple of sad moments but nothing too extreme.

There are a lot of Clooney's more acclaimed films that I've not seen (Michael Clayton, Good Night and Good Luck, Syriana etc) but for me this is the most impressed I've ever been by one of his performances. He is also ably assisted by the supporting cast; the two young girls playing his daughters are very impressive, both doing more than enough to make sure they aren't just relegated to the stereotypical roles of 'angry, troubled teen' and 'beyond her years, precocious kid'. Oh and Nick Krause helps create an entertaining character in Sid; a character who divides his time between being very likeable and annoying, and who provides much of the film's comic relief.

Outside of George and his daughters there aren't really any other large roles, but with little screen time both Beau Bridges and Judy Greer are able to shine. Bridges as one of his seemingly infinite amount of cousins; an apparently jovial and affable fellow who reveals a darker side when things don't seem to go his way. And Greer is really quite adorable and endearing. Oh and Matthew Lillard may not have much to do but proves a success just by flashing a douchey smile.

While I enjoyed this more than The Artist, I don't think I could really make much of an argument as to why this should be chosen ahead of it for Best Picture at the Oscars. To beat something as beloved and technically impressive as The Artist, I think you'd need something bigger; something more epic to sway the voters.

Oh and a special mention to the great scene of Clooney running; sweating and lumbering along as he completely tosses his dignity aside.

mirror
Up in the Air

-

Our modern life – ain't it great? Travel, work, technology all put up walls between us and the people around us. For George Clooney's character it creates a life of great isolation; he has no real relationships in his life, the only place he calls home is the office and his sisters are really no more than casual acquaintances. And it's a testament to Clooney's performance, as well as the script, that despite his job and many of his character's traits the character is still able to remain sympathetic. Alongside him Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga (who is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses currently around) complete a charismatic and engaging trio of central performances.

While it tackles some serious issues the film remains really quite breezy and light throughout, thanks to a sharp and witty script. As a result you could perhaps argue that for a film that raises some serious questions and issues, it treats it a little frivolously and doesn't really produce any answers.

Every decade or time has films that supposedly define it. This has been called one of those on a few instances. While I'm not going to disagree with that, it is really quite depressing if true; if this really is a film of our times.

mirror

The Spiral Staircase

+

I just stumbled across this film recently when Amazon recommended it after I purchased Laura. The plot, strong reviews and description of it as Hitchcockian had me very interested in it. And while I did enjoy it, it didn't quite live up to expectations.

After a strong opening this film settles down into quite a slow burning drama about the goings on in the large house in which its set. As a result I found my attention waning at points. It's worth it however for the last 15 minutes which I found really gripping and atmospheric. It achieves it through a lot of traditional and standard elements - suspenseful music, lightning, crashing thunder, lashing rain, use of shadows – but brings them all together wonderfully. It is also wonderfully lit and shot, bringing so much character and drama to the scenes.

mirror
Driving Miss Daisy

+

A genial and very sweet hearted film, powered by two fine central performances from Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy. It's a relatively simple film which surprised me a bit. I was expecting it to tackle the issue of racism stronger, but it does it all in quite a gentle and safe manner. I was going to say that makes it a weak and surprising choice for the Best Picture Oscar but I suppose that actually makes it a very attractive option for the Academy; a film that appears to tackle an important issue but does so in a way that doesn't rock the boat at all and isn't going to upset anyone.

So while I'd say it's one of the weaker Best Picture winning films I've seen, it is still a nice film with two great and engaging showings.

Quantum Leap actually had a very similar story in its first season, and I remember it taking a more powerful stab at the racism issue, as well as just being a more interesting and entertaining take on the issue and story.

mirror

Charlie Wilson's War

An intriguing and thoroughly entertaining film. It tells a very interesting story, of a very interesting man and does it with a great degree of fun. Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are both excellent in their respective roles, but it's when their characters are brought together that the film really sparks. Some of their scenes together are just fantastic.

The witty script is full of some fantastic dialogue, although coming from Aaron Sorkin I suppose that really shouldn't come as much of a surprise. It takes a serious subject, makes some good points about it but always remains thoroughly enjoyable.

mirror

Point Blank

This is a cracking French thriller. In the opening seconds we are thrown right into the middle of a frenetic chase scene, and the pace never really lets up for the next 80 minutes. In that respect it reminded me a bit of Run Lola Run. It truly is worthy of all those clichés available for thrillers - edge of the seat/ a real rollercoaster/ a breathless ride etc.

With gritty action, and twists and turns aplenty it really is a gripping experience throughout. With subtitled films I can sometimes struggle to really appreciate the performances (maybe having to focus too much on the subtitles) but Gilles Lellouche is fantastic in the lead role, really grasping the sheer desperation of the situation he finds himself trapped in. Do yourself a favour and see this film before Hollywood gets the idea to remake it.

mirror

Crazy Stupid Love

For a while I was actually a bit disappointed with this. It wasn't living up to the fairly high expectations I had for it. I was expecting a much higher laugh rate than I was getting. By the end however I had come round. The laughs increased as the film went along, but it was more just the fact that the film was 'nice' that eventually drew me in. In that respect it reminded me of the 90s sitcom, Mad About You. It wasn't always the funniest but that's because it wasn't constantly trying to get big belly laughs every two seconds. It could be content for stretches just being a nice and sweet show about likeable characters. It's a film where its talented cast definitely lift it up to another level.

-

mirror

Duck Soup

Up until now I had never seen a Marx brothers film. I know, shock horror right? Not sure why. Maybe due to my mum not being a fan. Anyway I spotted this on DVD for just Ł2 so thought I'd buy it and finally give them a shot.

So what's the verdict? Well the film does have some very funny lines and sight gags, and some extremely creative and amusing sketches (the lemonade stand and the mirror scene in particular) but I have to admit to finding Groucho a tad annoying at times. As a result it was the antics of Chico and Harpo that really entertained for me.

So am I completely converted to the ways of that Marx brothers? Not quite. Did I see enough to want to track down more of their work? Absolutely..

mirror

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Maybe I was just in a good mood (which would be rare for me! ), or maybe it was enjoyment by proxy from my nieces, but I actually really enjoyed this. For the type of film it is I think it did a very good job. Most of the credit goes to Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson for the improvement on the first film. For these kinds of films I think he's just about the best candidate out there currently. He's likeable, charismatic, has good comic timing, can handle the physical stuff and actually act.

Oh and I'm not sure whose idea it was to make a double act out of Johnson and Michael Caine but it comes close to a piece of genius. They seem to have really good fun just taking little digs at each other throughout.

+

mirror

Laws of Attraction

A fairly run of the mill romantic comedy, where both the writing and directing could be described similarly. Therefore it has to rely heavily on the charms of its cast and it's here where the film succeeds, as I think Pierce Brosnan and Julianne Moore are amongst the most charming and likeable actors out there. Yes they deserve better, but their efforts at least lift this up to something fairly decent and enjoyable.

Decided that I'm going to try and group every little review I've written in this one thread, so I'm also bringing over some of my older reviews.

mirror

Chronicle

If you were to ask people which genres are worn out, two common answers would probably be the found footage, POV film (Rec, Paranormal Activity, Cloverfield etc) and the superhero film. Well this films takes both of those and combines them together, creating something that I found to be just a piece of cracking entertainment.

It tells the typical superhero origin but in a fresh, exciting manner. And even with it's meagre 83 minute running time, it still finds the time to throw in some elements of sci-fi and darker character drama as we focus on a troubled teenager. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times as being like 'Cloverfield meets Heroes' and I'd say that is quite an apt description. It's not a fantastically original film, but it does feel very fresh and just a little bit different.

A lot of credit has to go to the young trio in the main roles. They all give very strong performances (Dane DeHaan is especially impressive as troubled teen Andrew), neatly toeing the line between natural and realistic which fits with the handheld camera feel, while still being charismatic and entertaining. They are also helped immensely by the script. A lot of these handheld, found footage films are criticised for not having fleshed out characters. That's not the case here however. As well as coming up with strong, natural dialogue the script provides the kids with a realistic story arc when it comes to using their powers. Yes it's nice to think that anyone who gets powers will immediately want to fight crime with them, but it's very unlikely. Here we get teenagers acting like teenagers. They use their powers for girls, for committing Jackass-style stunts on camera and generally just for messing about in an immature manner. It creates likeable characters that we can relate to and understand.

The film takes its time before breaking out the big action, meaning that when it does come we buy it and care about it. By establishing the story and characters first we care about the characters and what happens to them; and we can find the unbelievable...well, believable. And there is a POV scene featuring a car and the Seattle Space Needle which is really quite impressive, and for a moment even made me feel a little uneasy as if I was there.

If rumours are to be believed the film's director, Josh Trank, is apparently already being lined up to helm the Fantastic Four reboot and I'm not surprised. This is a very impressive debut and could herald an exciting new talent. And he might not be the only one. Trank is 26. The writer, Max Landis, is also 26. And the three young actors are all in their mid twenties.

Chronicle will most certainly be crushed under the might of Spider-Man, Batman and the Avengers at the box-office, but in terms of quality I'd say it has thrown down a strong gauntlet to its big name counterparts. I think it's a real little gem. And one I can see still being around my top 10 come the end of the year.

mirror
Leon

++

As well as being just a great action film this also turns out to be an oddly touching and affecting story. It tells the offbeat tale of a hitman, Leon, who takes pity on a young girl who lives next door when her family are killed. They each become all the other one has in their lives as Leon teaches Mathilda the profession of cleaning as she seeks revenge on those that killed her family.

In very different roles Jean Reno and Natalie Portman are both wonderful. And the relationship they generate is what lifts this film above normal action films to one of my favourites. Oh and Gary Oldman makes for one freaky ******!!!

While there are some wonderfully constructed action scenes showing Leon in action it truly is the relationship between the two characters that makes this a memorable film for me. The relationship being Reno's lonely assassin who possesses quite a simple mind, becoming a protector and mentor to Portman's young girl who has been forced to grow up too soon in an unforgiving world.

A great action flick and a touching friendship at the same time.

mirror

The Wild Bunch

+

For the first part of this film I wasn't really feeling it, wasn't getting into it, but eventually I came around and found myself gripped and engrossed by the end.

It's a violent, bloody, action-packed western; full of colourful characters who develop a bond and try to stick to a code of honour held amongst thieves. A film that sadly shows the passing of an era. There are some amazing action scenes. The opening battle and train robbery are excellent set-pieces but are overshadowed by the incredible battle that ends the film. While the characters shouldn't be particularly likeable, by the end I felt a sense of sympathy and sadness for these outlaws.

The whole cast are pretty much excellent, with William Holden and Ernest Borgnine being especially impressive.

mirror

Rififi

-

If I had to use just one word to describe this gritty French noir/heist film it would be classy. From the real Parisian locations to the beautiful photography it just oozes class.

It concerns the attempts by a group of four men to commit a daring robbery and the consequences that arise. There are 3 sections of the film really. First the planning of the robbery, then the heist itself and finally the fallout that happens as a rival gang learns of their act.

Even though I hadn't seen the film before I was aware of the famous silent stretch during the robbery itself. And it certainly lived up to the hype. It is 25 minutes or so of near silence as they conduct the heist. With no dialogue, no music and very few sounds at all it is an incredible accomplishment. Without dialogue to explain what they are doing it is a joy to work it all out for ourselves, all the little details and creative answers they come up with to defeat the security measures.

The other real strength of the film I would say is the characters and how fleshed out they all are. Each has their own individual quirks and qualities, provided by the script and cemented by some impressive performances, whether it be the old master who has been beaten down by his time in prison to the charismatic safe cracker with an eye for the ladies.

While I would definitely go back and watch those 25 minutes again I'm unsure if I'd be desperate to see the whole film again.

mirror
The Fall

+

A flawed but very interesting film with some truly stunning visuals. The use of colour and the sheer epic scale of many of the locations (it was filmed in over 20 countries!) are really quite something. Just in those terms it is one of the most extraordinary films I've ever seen

The relationship between Lee Pace and the adorably cute Catinca Untaru is very sweet and charming, though a sad and dark undercurrent runs through it. The first half or so is a really adventurous fantasy, but as we learn more it takes a dark turn.

Due to it's stunning images I'd certainly recommend it as I think it's the kind of film that some people will absolutely adore. It's the kind of film I think I could possibly come to feel that way about with repeat viewings but for now

mirror
The Hudsucker Proxy

+

Just trying to fill in some gaps in the Coen's back catalogue. If you were to group the Coen brothers films together this would go in along with films like Raising Arizona as being amongst their more fun, daft films.

It's a real throwback to the screwball, fast-talking comedies of the 40s. And it does it very well. It's a lot of fun, full of wit and creativity. The design of the film looks great with some fantastic sets. While it's quite breezy fun it is also a very biting and satirical film at times.

The star of the show for me has to Jennifer Jason Leigh, firing off her lines at an incredible pace while looking like she has just been plucked straight out of the 1940s. The only problem with this style of film is that it can be hard to create much heart and emotion and it does suffer a little from that. But overall good fun

and here's a short review for a film that I watched months back but forgot to write anything about.

mirror

Easy A

++

An immensely enjoyable and winning film which features a star-making turn from the adorable Emma Stone. Although it has to be said that any scene she's in with her parents is just about stolen out from under her by the wonderful Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson.

mirror
Psycho

++

Man this is one creepy, freaky movie! This film works both as a classic shock film full of suspense but also as a real study of this strange character, Norman Bates. Anthony Perkins is just incredible as Norman Bates as he switches from an eccentric but seemingly nice guy, to being absolutely terrifying.

The film looks incredible too, full of chilling set-pieces and effective 'tricks'. That along with a terrific score really help to ramp up the tension and nerves

I just wish I hadn't known about most of the twists and turns before seeing the film so it could have made even more of an impact. The shower scene in particular, while impressive, would have done more for me if I hadn't already seen it countless times.

mirror
A Matter of Life and Death

I hadn't seen this film in years and years so remembered very little about it but certainly appreciated it a lot more. It's a thoroughly absorbing, elegant film.

It's an enchanting, romantic fantasy. It just gives you a nice warm, happy feeling while you're watching it. The opening ten minutes are very magical as we first scan across the universe and then drop in on the conversation between a seemingly doomed soldier and the voice on the other end of the line. It's a beautifully charming scene between the two which makes you buy the immediate love they feel for each other.

The performances of the cast are almost universally excellent, with Roger Livesey being my personal stand-out. His performance during the court trial is just captivating.

The effects are very impressive. In their day they must have been astounding and even today they still delight, in particular the freezing of the table tennis match and the wonderful staircase from heaven. Indeed the whole realisation of Heaven is spectacular, probably the most interesting I've seen on screen. The split between colour and black and white could have been very gimmicky but for me really works and both are beautiful to look at.

mirror

Source Code

++

While this movie has many elements you'll recognise from other sources (Deja Vu, Groundhog Day, Quantum Leap etc) they combine to create something quite original and interesting, certainly cementing Duncan Jones as someone to watch out for.

The film is not as straightforward or formulaic as I thought it might be, throwing in a fair few twists and turns, including one that completely caught me unawares. It also goes into a slightly darker tone at times than I was expecting, with some bittersweet moments throughout.

It actually reminded me a touch of a Hitchcock film with a claustraphobic setting, a sense of mystery throughout where you're not actually sure what's going on and little moments of humour to break up the action/tension.

Performances are quite strong throughout. Gyllenhaal is very good, capturing the fear and confusion of his situation while also being appealing and endearing. Michelle Monaghan may not have much to do but is sweet and adorable enough to make it believable that you could fall for her in such a short space of time. While Vera Farmiga is also excellent, turning what could have been a simple character into a very intiguing one with a lot of depth

As always with this kind of film it will be interesting to see how it holds up to repeat viewings now that you know the outcome. Will the characters, story, acting and directing be enough to carry the film when it lacks the mystery?

mirror

How to Murder Your Wife

+

A daft, dated but ultimately still enjoyable film. The main reason for it being able to retain that enjoyment is the sheer energy of Jack Lemmon's performance, particularly in the courtroom scene near the end of the film which is terrifically funny.

Lemmon is also given help however by the supporting cast, especially from Terry-Thomas who achieves the impressive feat of almost stealing any scene he is in with Lemmon.

It's just a simple, good old-fashioned little comedy. The perfect kind of film perhaps for a lazy Sunday afternoon when the rain is pouring down outside

mirror
Dark City

+

As a big fan of sci-fi films and cult films this has been on my radar for the last few years but just never got round to it, until last night

It's a wonderfully atmospheric sci-fi noir, the visuals are tremendous. And that's a very good thing as it perhaps lacks a bit of heart however and the characters are a little one-note (although considering the elements of imprinting perhaps that's unavoidable). The pacing I fount to be a little off putting at times, crawling at times and whizzing from one scene to another at others. And the battle at the end I found a little flat, perhaps not helped by some weakish effects.

The performances for the most part are decent without wowing me. And I can't decide if Keifer Sutherland is great in this or kind of awful in this but it's fun to watch either way.

I liked the film but didn't love it like I really wanted to. It's one of those films that is maybe a bit more style than substance, but when the style is this gorgeous it almost doesn't matter

mirror

Here Comes Mr Jordan

+

A nice, good natured film. Certainly better than Chris Rock's Down to Earth which it inspired.

The most impressive element of the film for me were the performances. Robert Montgomery makes for a very likeable lead, Claude Rains is excellent as the suave, compassionate Mr Jordan and James Gleason steals pretty much every scene he's in, especially as his behaviour becomes more and more insane to all those around him

With a real warmth and charm, it is a sweet little film and certainly comes into the category of “They don't make 'em like that anymore!” kind of films.

mirror
Wildcats

After watching a lot of 'quality' films of late I was in the mood for something just plain daft and fun so thought I'd give this a go

I've always been a fan of Goldie Hawn, finding her to be one of the funniest and most lovable actresses about when it comes to comedy. And it's her charms that certainly carry this film. You know right from the start where the film is going to end up so you need someone to make it an enjoyable journey and she succeeds.

Perhaps the biggest kick for me was seeing the early appearances of Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson, both looking so young and fresh-faced in their first main roles. Both sparkle and provide some good laughs, certainly foreshadowing their success.

It may lack in terms of really big laughs but is an enjoyable enough way to pass an evening.

mirror

The African Queen

-

I've ran out of steam a little bit here to write anything substantial. So I'll just say it's a decent film which has stunning looking cinematography, some great dialogue and real chemistry between Hepburn and Bogart. Not however my cup of tea really and it would certainly be a long while before I would watch it again (if ever) but fairly enjoyable all the same

mirror

Life is Beautiful

++

A truly wonderful film. Uplifting, moving, joyous and heartbreaking – at some stages all at once. More than most it's definitely a film of two halves. The first hour or so is a charming love story with slapstick and screwball elements as the clownish Guido tries to win over his 'princess'.

After that it turns into a story of surviving one of the world's great atrocities and Guido's efforts to protect both the innocence and the life of his son. The idea of him pretending they are taking part in a contest is a truly lovely and charming idea.

A film of great beauty.

mirror

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

This film made me feel proud to be an American. Considering I'm 100% Scottish with no American connection whatsoever that's quite an acheivement!

James Stewart is at his wonderfully charming, likeable self as Jefferson Smith, the politician who believes in the power and magic of politics and America itself. With help from Saunders (a delightful Jean Arthur) he battles the fight for good against all the odds.

The ending of the film, with Mr Smith holding the floor in theCongress for nearly 24 straight hours is brilliantly inspiring. It's a film that shows politics how we would love them to be, while also showing us what is sadly too often the reality.

mirror

12 Angry Men

-

Expertly constructed legal drama. Almost the whole film takes place in one room, with nothing other than talk really. It could so easily be dull but the writing and performances ensure it is engaging and riveting throughout.

The great accomplishment of the film is that each character is able to be developed as a unique individual with their own qualities and their own voice. Whether it be the seeming old, doddery man whose mind can be just as sharp as everyone else, or the men who have entered with a prejudice, determined to render a guilty verdict no matter the arguements

And at the end the men who have come from all different walks of life go their seperate ways. We never find out if the young man on trial is actually guilty of his accused crime or not, and while it would be nice to know in a way, it doesn't really matter. That's not what the film is about

In a way it's similar to Mr Smith... as it shows how wonderful and idealistic the legal system can be but also how polluted and small minded it can be. Without Henry Fonda's character to speak up it seems sure it would be a surefire guilty verdict without any great thought

mirror

The Proposal

-

I have a great weakness for romantic comedies. In movie terms they are definitely my guilty pleasure. And I think this is one of the best to be released in the last few years. As always it has a preposterous concept to bring the characters together, at first they clash with each other before eventually falling for each other, just for it all to fall apart but with just enough time left for a last minute proclamation of love.

So in other words it's far from original but is done in a very enjoyable way. For me personally it's a great cast as I am a fan of every main member (Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, Craig T Nelson, Mary Steenburgen and the wonderful Betty White)

Nothing new but just sweet and good fun.

mirror

The Great Race

+

It really does seem quite curious how popular such a specific genre, the big chase film, became. Of the few I've seen this is definitely the most enjoyable

It's not particularly clever, but doesn't pretend to be. None of the laughs come from witty wordplay or intelligent observations, it's all purely slapstick stuff. In fact at times, particularly the opening 30 minutes, it feels like an extended sketch show

Alongside the big names of Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood, it's the wonderfully daft duo of Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk that propel the film along. Their chemistry is just fantastic!

It goes on a bit long and has a 45 minute or so section which completely forgets about the race to concentrate on a completely seperate storyline from out of nowhere, but is very enjoyable stuff that should see you with a smile on your face for most of the film

mirror

Alex & Emma

A little film I stumbled across recently. Starring Luke Wilson and Kate Hudson it's a romantic comedy of sorts, just a little bit more offbeat

As a struggling author and his stenographer, Wilson and Hudson make for a nice couple. The gimmick of the film being that while their scenes are set in the modern world, they also play characters from Wilson's story, which is set in the 1920s, so we alternate between the two worlds

I've always liked Luke Wilson, and this is the most I've ever enjoyed Kate Hudson. She tones down her usual glamour to play more of a normal person with a normal job, and displays a lot more charm than I would normally associate with her

While I don't see myself ever tracking it down to see it again it was a fairly decent, nice little film

I should really see Psycho sometime. I tend to be wary of the very top tier of "classics", though. Maybe it's fear of disappointment.
I know what you mean. I can feel the same at times, a lot perhaps to do with being disappointed a number of times by the likes of Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Chinatown and just about all the Kubrick I've seen

However you really should watch Psycho. Stunning film.

mirror

American Beauty

Wow this film is brilliant! I had only seen it once before a long time back and while it was good it didn't make a huge impact on me. But I absolutely loved it this time round.

It's a beautiful film that works as both a deliciously dark comedy, and as a sad, touching drama about a group of lost souls trying to find happiness in that scariest of places - the American suburb.

The film has so many incredible performances, hard to think of too many other films that have so many top turns. Kevin Spacey in particular is superb in it. And just thinking back he had one incredible run of films in the mid to late nineties – LA Confidential, Seven, Usual Supects and American Beauty

One of the best films of the 90s, if not of all time for me.

mirror
Sunset Boulevard

A truly wonderful film. Considered to be one of the all time classics and certainly worthy of that accolade. It is a biting, darkly funny film that rips apart the golden dream of Hollywood.

It is a truly sad, slightly haunting story as the once famous star, Norma Desmond, descends into desperation, depression and finally madness. Along the way she drags down Joe Gillias along with her as he is trapped in her web

The main cast are universally excellent. Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond is incredible, perfectly capturing the desperation of the faded star and the unshakeable belief that she is still 'big'. And her descent down the stairs has to be one of the great scenes in film. William Holden convinces fully as the screenwriter who knows he should leave but just can't bring himself to

The film does also have some real heart in the shape of Erich von Stroheim's role as Norma's butler. While everyone else has deserted her he has stuck with her throughout, now doing all he can to protect the diva's fragile mind.

A true masterpiece with so many great, quotable lines of dialogue

mirror

Time After Time

+

This is a real little gem of a film. Surely all I really have to say is H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper in present day (well 1979 but present at the time) San Francisco and you will understand why it's such fun.

The reason I really like this film is that it works on a few different levels. It works as an interesting, offbeat time travel tale, as a suspenseful thriller and also as a really touching little love story.

The performances are all really strong. Malcolm McDowell is wonderful as H.G. Wells creating a character to really root for; someone who is a little bit shy, earnest in his beliefs and with enough bravery to go head to head with Jack the Ripper. Mary Steenburgen is delightfully sweet as the love interest, very impressive for her first performance which reminded me a lot of her character in Back to the Future III. And David Warner is suitably intimidating and fearsome as Jack, while also convincing as a surgeon who could fit into society as a respected man.

A sweet, fun and entertaining film

mirror
Local Hero

A charming, gentle, whimsical little tale. It's not exactly an original story (a small community full of sweet, quirky characters that win over someone who doesn't understand the nature of the place when they first arrive) but it's beautifully told.

Not a lot happens really but still it's able to comment on many of life's big subjects – nature, loneliness, the search for happiness, finding a place to belong etc

Then there is the sheer beauty of the film, making full use of the stunning Scottish scenery. Making it feel very mythical and mystical. And lastly the wonderful music throughout, especially Mark Knopfler's triumphant theme at the end. Oh and Burt Lancaster is an absolute hoot!

As a Scot myself I may be a little biased but I think this is a gem of a movie.

mirror

Laura

A classy, mysterious film noir. It's quite an unusual story. A detective investigating the murder of a beautiful girl slowly finds himself falling in love with the dead girl, just from hearing about her and looking at a portrait of her. Then she turns up alive!

You can throw so many words at this film to describe it - taut, intense, tight, perfectly plotted. It is an excellent and intriguing mystery. And Clifton Webb is an absolute treat as Waldo Lydecker, throwing out one acidic put-down after another.

mirror

Paper Moon

A very sweet, funny little film. It tells of the relationship between two characters thrown together; Ryan O'Neal's travelling conman, Moses Pray, and Tatum O'Neal's little Addie who has been left alone after the death of her mother. At the pressing of fellow mourners at the funeral Moses agrees to take the little girl to her aunt's home in Missouri.

Their journey makes for some entertaining stuff, full of debacles and colourful characters, as the little girl proves a willing and capable partner in many of the cons. The performances and relationship between the two O'Neal's is excellent. Tatum O'Neal is particularly special as the smoking, cursing 9 year old girl.

The film also looks absolutely beautiful; wonderfully photographed. A charming film full of warmth, humour and heart

mirror
Shadow of a Doubt

+

Inspired by the true 1920s case of the serial killer known as “The Merry Widow Maker” this film is not amongst Hitchcock's most famous but is considered by the master to be his own personal favourite.

I found the film a bit slow to get going, the first half mainly setting up a killer in a small, gentle community and drip feeding clues for his niece. As the film progresses however the tension ramps up. Young Charlie begins putting the clues together that seem to point to her visiting uncle (also Charlie) as being a serial killer. Young Charlie has always idolised her uncle however so will not turn him in even after confronting him. From then on Charlie suffers a series of 'accidents' which put her life at great risk. All leading up to tense, thrilling finale on a train

My favourite little element of the film was the morbid conversations on murder that Charlie's father would have with a neighbour. It's very entertaining and is probably the closest that this little community ever thinks it will get to murder

So this is Alfred Hitchcock's favourite of his own films, and while it's not that close to being mine it is still very entertaining

mirror

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

James Stewart. John Wayne. John Ford. That's quite a line-up. And for the most part the film delivers on the promise those names create.

It's not a western that's high on action, but high on drama and emotions. James Stewart and John Wayne's characters are united against the outlaw Liberty Valance, but rivals for the heart of a woman. James Stewart is the restrained lawyer who wants Liberty Valance to face trial, John Wayne is the tough guy of the town who realises that the only way to stop Liberty Valance is to tackle violence with violence.

Wayne's character embodies the old West of fistfights and shoot-outs, while Stewart represents the change that will come to the West. Ford's directing is excellent and with the lighting the film looks great.

A very interesting Western with a lot of legends at the top of their game.

mirror

To Catch a Thief

A decent if a little bit of a slow-burning comedy thriller from Hitchcock. Many of the Hitchcock films I've seen so far are quite slow. For his thrillers that works as he is able to use the time to really build up the tension, but for this type of film I don't think it works quite as well. That said it is decent enough fun and certainly looks lovely. Really bright colours combined with some great scenery and location shooting making it visually impressive

Of his work I've seen so far I'd rate this as my least favourite Hitchcock film but all in all is still a solid, fairly enjoyable way to pass 100 or so minutes.

mirror

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

To call the plot of this film flimsy would be being very kind to it. There isn't much of a story to speak of whatsoever, it is basically just a showcase for the charms of Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell.

And as such it works very well. While Monroe may be the 'star', for me the high point of this is definitely Jane Russell. Monroe's character is actually not very likeable but is just so dim, sweet and charming that you can't really dislike her.

There's no great depth or indeed much of anything here but it's just a fluffy, fun little film.