Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Stuck (2007)

I’m watching this and it gets weirder every minute. Like David Lynch with 15% of his talent and on crack. There’s a dog scene towards the end that’s really not meant to be funny, but I laughed out loud. It’s a very, very ridiculous film.
It's the weakest of Gordon's crime thrillers (King of Ants and Edmond being the other two with the latter being the best) but I still enjoyed it. Had a real Siegel/Tarantino sensibility to revisionist history going on with it.

It's the weakest of Gordon's crime thrillers (King of Ants and Edmond being the other two with the latter being the best) but I still enjoyed it. Had a real Siegel/Tarantino sensibility to revisionist history going on with it.
Was genuinely stunned to read it was based on a true story - as always seems to be the case whenever I catch myself thinking, ‘That’s a bit of a stretch’. Need to get better acquainted with Gordon, I liked Dagon and didn’t much care for From Beyond - though I guess it was pretty novel at the time.

Was genuinely stunned to read it was based on a true story by - as always seems to be the case whenever I catch myself thinking, ‘That’s a bit of a stretch’. Need to get better acquainted with Gordon, I liked Dagon and didn’t much care for From Beyond - though I guess it was pretty novel at the time.
The story had stuck (heh) in my memory from when I was a youngster, so when I finally watched the film, I found myself shaking my head in disappointment with the human race every time it was accurate to the absurdities of the case. I understand the changes he made and they're no less plausible than what happened but I do think they betrayed some of the ugliness and politics behind what happened. Strangely, it's the least nihilistic of the 3 films.

I went on a Gordon binge when he passed away earlier this year to clear up as many blindspots as I could in his career. Essentially, I found 2 "trilogies" of which I was a huge fan: His horror collabs with Crampton and Combs (Reanimator, From Beyond and Castle Freak) and the aforementioned crime trilogy. Dagon and Dolls would round out my big recommends. I think he was a very inventive, ambitious and fearless filmmaker that never settled on a specific identity. Big fan.

Curious why you didn't dig From Beyond. It and Edmond are probably my two favorites from him.

The story had stuck (heh) in my memory from when I was a youngster, so when I finally watched the film, I found myself shaking my head in disappointment with the human race every time it was accurate to the absurdities of the case. I understand the changes he made and they're no less plausible than what happened but I do think they betrayed some of the ugliness and politics behind what happened. Strangely, it's the least nihilistic of the 3 films.

I went on a Gordon binge when he passed away earlier this year to clear up as many blindspots as I could in his career. Essentially, I found 2 "trilogies" of which I was a huge fan: His horror collabs with Crampton and Combs (Reanimator, From Beyond and Castle Freak) and the aforementioned crime trilogy. Dagon and Dolls would round out my big recommends. I think he was a very inventive, ambitious and fearless filmmaker that never settled on a specific identity. Big fan.

Curious why you didn't dig From Beyond. It and Edmond are probably my two favorites from him.
I didn’t ‘not dig it’ - in an abstract way I did appreciate it, I liked the neon-pink colour scheme, and still I make a point of watching everything Crampton is in, because she’s amazing (hi there, ‘You’re Next!’). As an aside, ‘Beyond the Gate’ from 2016 felt like a semi-remake of ‘From Beyond’, all the way to the title & Crampton herself - weird!

With the original ‘From Beyond’, it was something about the way the story was presented. I think I just have a low tolerance for ‘psychedelic’ films, even the truly great ones (I liked ‘Mandy’, but whenever it got really psychedelic, I’d metaphorically roll my eyes). So, it’s probably a style thing - although Ken Russell’s ‘Altered States’ (1980) is a similar film, and I’ve always liked it.

Anyway, I have a strange history with Lovecraft adaptations - the only one I can think of off the top of my head that I really loved is ‘The Banshee Chapter’ (2013). I know that probably sounds like blasphemy, and I know it was adapted from the same Lovecraft short story, but I guess something about it just worked for me. From what I remember of it, I like how they dealt with the ‘Primary Source’ person, and the fact they made it into a bit of a ‘cults’ film, which I’m a sucker for.

‘Edmond’ looks like something I’d love. Don’t think I was aware of it, so thanks for that.

My daughter asked that I purchase this on Prime so she can watch it. She's not the only one interested in it.