Hello, I'm a weird movie lover

Tools    

Hi @Obscure Lover . Can I recommend a quirky film that probably was better known in its time, but seems to have fallen into obscurity since. And that is A Thousand Clowns. Jason Robards stars as a creative soul conflicted about whether to follow his artistic muse or bite the bullet and become a responsible guardian and 9-5er.

At one point he's explaning why becoming the guardian of his abandoned nephew is so important to him and he says "I want him to know the very special reason he was born a human being and not a chair." I' m still in awe and Lmao at stuff like that.

It's funny, quirky, thoughtfully written with a light touch; and does not give an easy answer to his dilemma. But rarely does a film examine the condition of being a sensitive and NOT renowned artistic spirit, but whose creative fire is bound to the bone- with such sensitivity, irony, warmth and subtle depth.

I realize as I type these words that this may be my only 'movie mission' on mofo- I'd just like to get more people to see and hopefully appreciate this film.

Great review @Gideon58. So glad to have another fan of A Thousand Clowns here on mofo. Reading your review reminded me of the many reasons I like this movie so much. Spot on assessments of the actors' characters,particularly your insights on the gifted Jason Robards. Thanks for posting it. I hope others read it and watch this terrific movie.