Happy Anniversary, John McLaine!

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
"You don't have to drink it."

Ha! If only...

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
Happy Anniversary to another veteran MoFo!

Here's to many more...

It is hard to believe I have spent more than half my life online at the same site: 50.8474576271186% to be exact.

It is a testament to the common goal of this community to talk about movies, and it speaks to the reliability of site design/operations. I don't remember if I have ever told y'all, but I like movies.

Happy Anniversary. I just watched Dredd again yesterday. I think I'm up to about 20 times now. How many you up to? Isn't it getting better with every viewing? The lines... I can't stop saying the lines! I love it. It may crack my top 10 one day.

Happy Anniversary. I just watched Dredd again yesterday. I think I'm up to about 20 times now. How many you up to? Isn't it getting better with every viewing? The lines... I can't stop saying the lines! I love it. It may crack my top 10 one day.
Well, I saw it 3 times in theater (those 3D effects!!!) and I have lost count on the number of times I have seen it at home. I definitely feel like it is going to be one of those films that will get brought back to theaters for anniversary viewings. If it doesn't, then someone is missing out on a fat, sweaty wad of cash in my pocket.

It has made me a believer of Karl Urban: his chin acts better than 90% of Hollywood. And I agree that it may crack my top ten, as well. Hell, just thinking about it I am sure I could find a spot for it right now!

In case you people have forgotten, this block operates under the same rules as the rest of the city. Ma-Ma is not the law... I am the law.

This isn't a negotiation.

Incorrect sentencing is an automatic fail, disobeying a direct order from your assessment officer is an automatic fail, losing your primary weapon or having it taken from you is a automatic fail... You ready rookie?

Release the hostage, unharmed, and I guarantee you a sentence of life in an iso-cube, without parole.

The perps were uncooperative.

We're a kilometer above ground. What do you figure the range is on that thing? Could it get through a hundred levels of concrete? How about two hundred? Let's find out.

Wait....

What's it gonna be, kids? Body bags or juve cubes? Makes no difference to me.

It's all a deep end.

Your call rookie.

Save me an awful lot of paper work if you just confess right now.

What's the price of a Judge these days?

Control Operator 1: Do you require backup?
Judge Dredd: No.

Best quote on MoFo all day.

Well folks, @Powdered Water helped me convince myself that it was time to scramble my top ten. There were a couple new additions. Take a gander if you don't believe me!

Well folks, @Powdered Water helped me convince myself that it was time to scramble my top ten. There were a couple new additions. Take a gander if you don't believe me!
I liked The Spectacular Now quite a bit, but I don't think I would ever Top 10 it - what puts it over the top for you?

I liked The Spectacular Now quite a bit, but I don't think I would ever Top 10 it - what puts it over the top for you?
My drinking was at its heaviest when I saw it, so I connected with the main character in a powerful way. I also think it does a better job of capturing the struggles of transitioning into adulthood (modern problems and all) than other coming of age films. The chemistry between Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley is a profound portrayal of love at that age. Plus, Woodley is goregous.

I think the biggest reason I put it in my top ten (it made the list 5 years ago) was because I wasn't that far off in age from the characters, so I empathized heavily with their struggles and fears. I will admit the dad trope was a little weak.

Who knows, maybe future viewings as I age will have me remove it...or solidify its position. But as of right now that film still wrecks me when I watch it.

EDIT: One last reason is because I have this horrible habit of living in the past, so much so that I often miss out on the NOW, and that film helped peel back my eyelids.

Well said - seems like a personal film for you, which is what I would have guessed, knowing the things you have told me about yourself in the past, and how I presume you tend to approach your past. I think i will give it another watch soon, myself.