John's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Well done John…. welcome to the club...
That's who made it sticky. Well thanks.

I know that a couple of you out there don't agree with my choices in good movies but, take this into consideration; I'm 14, I'm easy to please when it comes to movies, I really like comedy and action films.

Another thing, I was a little upset with my writing on my last review so, I'll be rewriting it with a completely different writing style. One reason I didn't think it was good was I rushed it. Thanks for the comments, good and bad. The bad ones make me work harder when writing my reviews. My goal is to, by this summer, write a review in under 500 words.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Im going to see The Punisher tomorrow! Good review!

Originally Posted by James_Bond
Im going to see The Punisher tomorrow! Good review!
You'll like it. Check back tomorrow for my revised review.

Poster

“The punishment begins.”

Movie: The Punisher

Rating: Rated r

Director: Jonathan Hensleigh

Release: April 16, 2004

Cast: Thomas Jane, John Travolta, Laura Harring, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, and Will Patton

I would first like to say, “Wow!” I might just have a new favorite action hero. I love a lot of things in this film but, not everything. In my opinion this is the best Marvel comic turned movie, so far.

I’m not a really big fan of the comic but; this movie isn’t a disappointment for me. I’ve also not seen the original punisher but, from what I’ve heard, it’s not that good anyway. When I saw the trailer for this film I was expecting a movie with so much action it’ll blow your brains out, but the scenes can be a little dull at times. I will admit after seeing this film more than once I’ve decided it’s not the best that could’ve been done but, it’s still good.

Howard Saint, a rich and powerful man, (John Travolta) is mad at Frank Castle, ex-FBI agent, (Thomas Jane) for his son’s death at a weapon’s bust. In retaliation to this, Mrs. Saint orders for Castle’s entire family to be killed at their family reunion in Puerto Rico. Everything goes well in this plan except, Castle isn’t killed and Howard’s men don’t know it. After 6 months of recuperating, from his wounds, he starts a journey to give punishment and nothing will stop him.

Howard Saint is angry, cruel, and unforgiving, who better to play this role then John Travolta. Travolta can act as the bad guy so well now a days, I don’t even question if he should do the role. His acting style is unlike anyone else’s I’ve seen when it comes to the bad guy. I don’t see anything wrong with his acting; it’s perfect in my view.

Taking Aim
Once I heard Thomas Jane was going to be playing Castle, I had my doubts about his physical fitness and ability to act. I’ve only seen him in two other movies and he wasn’t that good. He’s not the best choice for Castle and his acting’s ok; personally I would have chosen Hugh Jackman because, he just fits the role better and has a better acting style.

I enjoy this film but, I will admit it can be a little dull at sometimes. One reason is the actors weren’t up to scratch; the only actor that really did their role well is, of course, John Travolta. Thomas Jane is ok but, I would have gotten Hugh Jackman to play Frank Castle. Jane’s style is a bit different but, it’s ok.

When the movie gets to the end, you’ll finally get into it. The ending scenes are the best because it wraps up everything Frank Castle planned and in the last few minutes the background is the sun setting which looks beautiful. This may not be the best movie all around but, it’s got its moments.

If you’re the kind of person that loves action films then I’d suggest this movie to you. This film’s good, no doubt about that, but, if Hugh Jackman would have played Castle it would be a lot better. When it comes to action movies this isn’t quite the best but, when it comes to the Marvel movies, this is the best for now.

Nice review. I just saw The Punisher this evening and it's a sweet kiskass movie.
I don't consider it to be "just an action flick"....that would be kind of stretching it there. Jane gave a hell of a performance with Travolta as an excellent vicious gangster/villian. I personally can't picture Jackman as Punisher, he doesn't well........fit the part at all. (Sorry) Hey, that's just my opinion I guess.

I think you've improved on the old Punisher review a lot. Good Job!

Originally Posted by Garrett
I think you've improved on the old Punisher review a lot. Good Job!
I'll second that.

A system of cells interlinked
Hey man,

Nice work this time around. Just for fun, you should read through all your reviews to see how much improvement you have made in the past few weeks.

Good job!

_S

Originally Posted by Sedai
Hey man,

Nice work this time around. Just for fun, you should read through all your reviews to see how much improvement you have made in the past few weeks.

Good job!

_S
I did and I see I've improved a lot.

Hey jrs. Everyone has an opinion.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I might get a review out for Mystery, Alaska some time this week. Thanks again for the comments.

“The Punishment Begins.”

Movie: The Punisher (2004)

Well, now you've seen the movie twice and the rank is dropping. Just watch it two more times, knock off a couple more stars, re-post the review with a OUT OF rating, and I'll know you've really come of age.

BTW, I think the tagline in the advertising should be altered to read "The Punsihment Begins...on any audience unfortunate enough to sit through this dud."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I logged on to Ebert & Roeper's site last night in order to hear what they thought about it. Ebert says dud, Roeper really, really, liked it.

I never liked that guy. I'd rather hear a psychic telling what Siskel thought from beyond the grave. I really miss that guy.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, now you've seen the movie twice and the rank is dropping. Just watch it two more times, knock off a couple more stars, re-post the review with a OUT OF rating, and I'll know you've really come of age.

BTW, I think the tagline in the advertising should be altered to read "The Punsihment Begins...on any audience unfortunate enough to sit through this dud."
Ya, sure.

Originally Posted by John McClane
I did and I see I've improved a lot.

Hey jrs. Everyone has an opinion.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I might get a review out for Mystery, Alaska some time this week. Thanks again for the comments.
Isnt that the hockey movie with Russell Crowe? I would like for you to do a review on Seven Samurai to get a younger critical perspective on the movie.

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
Isnt that the hockey movie with Russell Crowe? I would like for you to do a review on Seven Samurai to get a younger critical perspective on the movie.
Yes it is. Well, it'll probably be awhile till I will get around to it. I got to find it to watch it. Expect my review on Mystery, Alaska sometime the end of the week.

Originally Posted by John McClane
Yes it is. Well, it'll probably be awhile till I will get around to it. I got to find it to watch it. Expect my review on Mystery, Alaska sometime the end of the week.
I thought you've seen it.

Now John, don't feel intimidated by Holden, keep writing reviews, when I look at some of the movies I loved when I was 14, I think, what was I thinking, it happens to all of us, so you are normal, I think

Originally Posted by nebbit
Now John, don't feel intimidated by Holden, keep writing reviews, when I look at some of the movies I loved when I was 14, I think, what was I thinking, it happens to all of us, so you are normal, I think
I used to like Sylvester Stallone and Van Damme movies

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I thought you've seen it.
I meant Seven Samurai. Yes, I have seen Mystery, Alaska but, it's been about 4 years and I can't remember a thing about it.

I liked to post a couple of things. First, I'm writing a review for Kill Bill Vol.1. Second, all of those who have seen October Sky know that Homer's dad wasn't really helpful. Well, I just read the book The Rocket Boys, the movie was based off the book by Homer, and his dad was really helpful. Third, I've sprained my wrist and it hurts like hell and it's slowing me down a lot. Some examples; typing, writing, chores, typing, working, typing. I think that's it.