Filmmakers who have made only one film that you liked

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
This thread was inspired by watching Vanilla Sky the other day and I realised that Say Anything is the only Cameron Crowe movie I actually like.

Another contender might be David O. Russell and Three Kings.

Michael Bay and Pain and Gain

Genuine answers though, I liked both those alot. 'Angst' by Gerald Kargl is another. Can't think of any one offs in a directors filmography that is the only one I like.

Edit : Actually no I just thought of one - Wolfgang Petersen's 'Das Boot'. His other films I'm not fussed on (The Perfect Storm, Air Force One, In the Line of Fire). Possibly Mike Figgis too - I only like 'Leaving las Vegas' from him.

There. I guess all it took was a bit of thought.

Satoshi Kon - Perfect Blue
Interesting!

I love a lot of Kon's work.

You didn't like Millenium Actress or Tokyo Godfathers?

I'll have to think on this question a bit. I'm glad the phrasing is "like" and not "love", though, because that narrows the field a bit.

Interesting!

I love a lot of Kon's work.

You didn't like Millenium Actress or Tokyo Godfathers?

I'll have to think on this question a bit. I'm glad the phrasing is "like" and not "love", though, because that narrows the field a bit.
Haven't watched them...I'll give it a watch when I got the time.

Haven't watched them...I'll give it a watch when I got the time.
Got it.

I really like both of them, and also his TV series Paranoia Agent. I think he's one of the most consistently good/great creators of animation I've ever seen, and he manages to make movies that feel adult without being lurid.

Got it.

I really like both of them, and also his TV series Paranoia Agent. I think he's one of the most consistently good/great creators of animation I've ever seen, and he manages to make movies that feel adult without being lurid.
I'll try watching them, ty

This thread was inspired by watching Vanilla Sky the other day and I realised that Say Anything is the only Cameron Crowe movie I actually like.

Another contender might be David O. Russell and Three Kings.

I didn't understand Vanilla Sky at all

Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Bill Duke - Deep Cover
Mike Figgis - Leaving Las Vegas
Newt Arnold - Bloodsport

I just checked Mike Figgis' resume and realized Leaving Las Vegas is the ONLY film of his that I've even seen.

I noticed a couple of appearances from Michael Bay on this list, so I checked his resume and learned I've only seen 3 movies that he made...Bad Boys II, The Island, and Pain & Gain, and Bad Boys II is the only one I didn't mind, but I didn't really like any of them, especially hated Pain & Gain

Sorry, should have elaborated.

You maybe know that Vanilla Sky is a remake of Abre Los Ojos. I've only seen the latter, but I really liked it and found it to be one of those films where even if I didn't understand everything 100%, the atmosphere and the emotion of it made it feel coherent.

Welcome to the human race...
I didn't understand Vanilla Sky at all
Even if I hadn't already seen Abre los ojos, I think I'd still find it insultingly easy to understand.