Outlander: Starz series based on Gabaldon books

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
So, I can't be the only one watching OUTLANDER on Starz. This show just premiered two hours ago and it's already been a phenomenon for weeks. They offered a free preview of the first episode this past week, and the online version on Starz.com had more than a million views. (This isn't counting the OnDemand views or the app views.)

And I can personally account for only about half of those views.

In anticipation of this series coming to Starz, people have been ordering Starz like crazy. In the second quarter of the year alone, Starz gained more than 100,000 new subscribers. People are calling their cable and satellite companies and starting out, "I'd like to add a channel to my package," and customer service reps are guessing, "Don't tell me -- Starz? For Outlander?" Yes, this is all really happening.

I have been reading this series of books since before they were published (Diana Gabaldon was on CompuServe way back in the early '90s posting early chapters for critique!), and I've worried any time I heard someone was bidding on movie rights for it. There was no way this could be made into just a movie. And before now it would have been ruined.

But now... as there are plenty of premium channels with big series budgets and lots of time to work with, I am thrilled to say Ron Moore is doing the book justice. Great casting, great ambiance, great music, great Gaelic (without subtitles, good!). And I already know the story is amazing.

Hope you'll all give it a chance! As soon as Claire travels back to the 1700s in the first episode, you just know it's something special.

ENJOY! Tulach Ard!

I'd like to bump this back into relevance. Season 2 starts Saturday, and the entirety of Season 1 can be watched for free right now from Starz.com (it's the website of the channels, nothing illegitimate about it). I'm not usually a TV guy because the production value and design elements are rarely on a cinematic level, but this is an exception. The sets and costumes are really fantastic, and are on the level of great film. If you've never seen it, think much smaller Game of Thrones that's heavier on the romance than the politics/battles.

I must admit, I've only seen the season finale after a coworker ranted about how traumatized she was by it. Needless to say, I didn't find it traumatic to watch.

I've been meaning to watch more it, but never seem to get around to it.

Season 4 premieres tomorrow! The Starz app lets you watch it at midnight tonight! Good thing we also turn the clocks back one hour. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Season 4 premieres tomorrow! The Starz app lets you watch it at midnight tonight! Good thing we also turn the clocks back one hour. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.
Yay!!!

I love book four (Drums of Autumn), so I'm looking forward to some of the major developments of this season. I watched the season 4 premiere last night right at midnight (and am rewatching it now). Aside from the use of Ray Charles' version of "America the Beautiful" over the last scene, I like how they handled the material. Ian's really growing on me, though I always pictured him tall like Jamie (I think he's often described in the books as lanky and tall). John Bell has the right look and demeanor for the role.

And Rollo's pretty awesome, though also smaller than I imagined. Then again, good luck hiring a direwolf from the Game of Thrones folks at this late date!

Wanted to post on the show but not read the thread because I'm still watching it . I just finished the first season and the production writing and acting is solid straight across the board. Maybe some guys would feel like this is aimed towards women, it is more so than many series, but it delivers to a male audience more than most series too. Top notch, just strong

Season 3 dropped off a little overall, but season 4 it picked right back up. FANTASTIC scenery. Truly this show is meant for HD.

New episode on demand in half an hour. Loved seeing the reunion of Claire and Brianna, and her meeting Jamie. It felt just like the same scene in the book. I'm excited to see the developments with Roger and Brianna and even Ian coming up in upcoming episodes.

OH NO! They showed Murtaugh facing off against Bonnet in next weeks preview! Being a wizened watcher of many a series I know they won't get rid of Bonnet so easily, or so soon. Don't you kill Murtaugh off you baztids! OH NO!

If I'm right or wrong please don't tell me.

Oh, this has nothing to do with the current storyline in the series but any thread on Outlander must have these two words in it. Poor Frank!

Tobias Menzies playing 2 different roles and pulled off the most sympathetic character in the series, and the most loathed one too in Jack Randall. An immense talent.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MW-FU906_outlan_20170922132758_ZH.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	50833  

OH NO! They showed Murtaugh facing off against Bonnet in next weeks preview! Being a wizened watcher of many a series I know they won't get rid of Bonnet so easily, or so soon. Don't you kill Murtaugh off you baztids! OH NO!

If I'm right or wrong please don't tell me.
Well, nobody knows. In the books, Murtaugh dies at Culloden, so anything they do with him in the series is gravy. And although I thought the same thing about Bonnet (they won't kill him off that easily!), I hadn't thought about losing Murtaugh like this. They COULD. He's helped to fill a few plot holes left by not bringing in several book characters, so maybe they no longer need him in the series! Eeek. There will be rioting in the streets.

And I agree about Menzies. He's finally getting the recognition he deserves with all these great roles. He's slated to play Prince Phillip in the next season of The Crown on Netflix, too.

Also, that preview was a "Three Episodes Left!" preview, so that scene could show up in any of the last three episodes coming up. This next episode seems too early for him to encounter Bonnet. Plus, didn't Jamie just say to bring Bonnet to him, not to kill him outright?

Anyway, although I used to say Poor Frank! … now I say Poor Roger!

Also, that preview was a "Three Episodes Left!" preview, so that scene could show up in any of the last three episodes coming up. This next episode seems too early for him to encounter Bonnet. Plus, didn't Jamie just say to bring Bonnet to him, not to kill him outright?

Anyway, although I used to say Poor Frank! … now I say Poor Roger!
LOL! You're right! If Roger did decide to go back forward in time thru the stones last episode then he will be coming back again but this time with a loaded revolver, an act I think's certainly overdue.

At first I was cold towards the characters of Bree and Roger, but they both won me over now. This is going back a couple Seasons but I was a huge fan of Dougal and was sad to see him go (especially the way he went). Maybe they can bring back the actor to play one of his ancestors too.

I always had trouble, reading the books, keeping Dougal and Rupert and Colum straight in my mind. They just never gelled for me. Then the series started and wow! Dougal and Colum and Rupert all were real to me, especially Dougal. So brilliantly played by Graham McTavish... who also played in The Hobbit and Preacher.

I love Bree and especially Roger in the books. Richard Rankin as Roger is perfectly cast as I pictured Roger (only with lighter hair than book-Roger), so I've been delighted to see that character come to life for me. Young Ian and older Ian also both seem perfectly cast to me (except Young Ian in the books is taller and lankier, but the spirit of the character is perfect).

The image of Roger going back to the 1900s, grabbing a pistol, and coming back to seek vengeance is hilarious.

^ Thankfully I was wrong and one of my favorite characters lived to see another episode. At the end of the episode when the Mohawk tribe says hello to Roger, I instinctively thought "Poor Roger" then bust out laughing lol!

"Poor Roger!" is a running theme for me now. That guy! But at least the Mohawk gave him a better pair of pants than those high-waters he'd been wearing. He looked like an overgrown toddler in those things.

Can't wait to see if any of his bruises and lacerations have healed since last week.

my god

The show definitely has its moments. Did not see that coming. I've heard the song they played at the end of the episode elsewhere but can't remember from what. Damn that was heavy.

Aside from that, Outlander has to be viewed in HD to appreciate the cinematography appropriately. Breathtaking scenery every episode.

As a viewer you knew Jaime and Randall were going to face off, and one would die. Now I'm hoping the same course is set for Roger & Bonnett. That guys so crappy I bet after escaping he'll try and get his ruby back.