BlueLion's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

44. Midnight in Paris (2011)
Woody Allen

"Nostalgia is denial - denial of the painful present... the name for this denial is golden age thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one one's living in - it's a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present."

Midnight in Paris was my first Woody Allen film, and I've seen many of his films since. Some came close, but none were as good, sincere and heartwarming as this film. Owen Wilson gives what is one of my favorite acting performances of the decade so far, and it's incredible how much I could relate to his character, even though I'm not as crazy about the 20s, Picaso or Hemingway.

43. Kill Bill (2003/2004)
Quentin Tarantino

"So, swordfighter, if you want to sword fight, that's where I suggest. But if you wanna be old school about it - and you know I'm all about old school - then we can wait till dawn, and slice each other up at sunrise, like a couple real-life, honest-to-goodness samurais."

Yes, I know they're two separate films, but for me it's one big Kill Bill. There are, of course, differences between the two films: volume 1 is more action-packed and exciting, while volume 2 is slower and has elements of a neo-western. What both volumes have in common is that they're both extremely stylish, well-directed, have great writing, and the music is of course phenomenal.

Midnight in Paris and Kill Bill: Vol. 1 are also both on my top 101 list (near the bottom), so naturally I think they're great films.

Love the last two, or three depending on how you look at it, as well Blue Lion. I have to admit I didn't think our tastes were this similar. Kill Bill was on my 100 as well. Just saw Midnight In Paris in the past year as part of my catching up on everything Allen. Don't know if it will ever be enough of a favorite to make my 100 but I give it a

I've just started watching Woody Allen movies this year. I've seen 7 of them so far and have enjoyed all of them to some degree. I'm going to add Midnight in Paris to my watchlist.

The Kill Bill movies are my least favorite from Tarantino, although I still think both are very good.

About time this thread was made, some initial thoughts:

I like How To Train Your Dragon, The King of Comedy and Midnight in Paris quite a bit, and can definitely see the charm in all three of these that you would like. I hate Dumb and Dumber, but I love both Kill Bill films and Apocalypse Now. The others I've not seen. Interested to see what makes your top ten, as apart from #1, I have no idea.

Midnight in Paris is one of the best of the current decade, Owen Wilson indeed put up a great performance. Both Kill Bill films are bad ass, I prefer Volume 1.

Let the night air cool you off
You are moving quick. I'll dish out some s

How to Train Your Dragon, Apocalypse Now, The King of Comedy, and Kill Bill all get the thumb. There's nothing on your list I dislike yet, except that you aren't gonna have Chinatown on it.

Dumb and dumber sucks, I really hated that film. Other than that, from what I've seen it's all very good.

What was so bad about it?
I saw it a while ago now, but I just didn't find it funny, more irritating and stupid, I never got why everyone was obsessed with it, and Jim Carrey in general for that matter

42. Blue Velvet (1986)
David Lynch

"See that clock on the wall? In five minutes you are not going to believe what I've told you."

Blue Velvet just might be the weirdest and most bizarre film Lynch has ever made, and it's certainly one of the strangest films I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. What amazes me the most about this film is how brave and confident Lynch must have been to make something as controversial and as unrestrained as this. It's a very dark film about perversity, it's a mystery film, it's an erotic thriller, and also a horror of some sort - all in one. Add to that the fact that it's directed by one of the masters of mood, and it has one of the creepiest performances ever by Dennis Hopper as Frank Booth, and you'll get one of the most unique films ever made.

41. Before Sunset (2004)
Richard Linklater

"You can never replace anyone because everyone is made up of such beautiful specific details."

Not only is Before Sunset my favorite from the Before trilogy (I think it's the best, in every level), I also feel it's one of the finest films of the 2000s. After seeing Before Sunrise, I wanted the second installment to be built around the ending scenes of the first film, as the ending is what I liked the most about it. And, thankfully, I got just that. I love the feeling of nostalgia that is present during the whole 80 minutes, and the way that the characters seem to simply be living in the moment, while reminiscing about the past. I can't relate to the characters like two former lovers or a couple could, but I feel as though I will always feel a connection with them because of their sincerity and their mindset.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
You're absolutely right about Before Sunset BlueLion, I'm glad someone agrees with me. It's top tier Linklater and the best of the trilogy. I didn't even care much for the first one and the characters' young, wide eyed optimism, so I was very surprised at how much I loved this one. It understands complexly how each of these people cope with their emotional history, specifically the content of the first movie, and it contains one of the most well judged and subtly complex endings of any movie I can think of.

40. Rear Window (1954)
Alfred Hitchcock

"I've seen bickering and family quarrels and mysterious trips at night, and knives and saws and ropes, and now since last evening, not a sign of the wife. How do you explain that?"

What better way to spend your time than by spying on your neighbors if you're wheelchair bound? If I had Grace Kelly in my room though, I'm not sure grabbing my binoculars in order to look through other people's windows would be high on my list of priorities, but Jimmy Stewart is obviously a good citizen. On a serious note, it goes without saying that this gripping, intense and superbly acted thriller is one of Hitchcock's finest films. It was one of the first Hitchcock films that I watched, and it's one of the classics that got me interested in older films in general.