Unhappy!

Tools    

NAME A MOVIE YOU WERE REALLY UNHAPPY WITH AND WOULD WANT TO SEE AGAIN.

ME; BEAT THE DEVIL with HUMPHREY BOGART i dont understand why he was even in the movie.

Welcome to the human race...
Interesting criteria. I can name several, and I think I will...

Ghost World
Juno
Over the Edge
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Lost Boys
Human Traffic

I already know that there are people out there that love some of the movies I've named, and trust me, I don't actually hate most of those movies. Hating a movie just seems so pointless to me. If anyone cares, they can ask me for my reasons. I have different ones for each movie.

As Iroquois said Pink Floyd: The Wall

Interesting criteria. I can name several, and I think I will...

Ghost World
Juno
Over the Edge
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Lost Boys
Human Traffic

I already know that there are people out there that love some of the movies I've named, and trust me, I don't actually hate most of those movies. Hating a movie just seems so pointless to me. If anyone cares, they can ask me for my reasons. I have different ones for each movie.
I second Pink Floyd - The Wall, but even moreso The Lost Boys. That had the possibility of being a truly great movie; it just went completely off the rails in the third act.

I was also very disappointed with Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka Bay of Blood). I expected much more from Mario Bava.

For the record, I really like Beat the Devil. I think it's very funny. If you go into it expecting a drama along the lines of The Maltese Falcon or Casablanca, though, yeah, you'll be disappointed for sure.

I can name a few

I can't really explain it but I was just un-happy with Transformers, I will probly end up watching it again just cuz.

Pinapple Express I know a lot of people liked this movie. I just didn't really feel it. This is one of those movies you will see over and over no mater how much you don't like it.

Starwars The Phantom Menace wasn't by no means awful. Its just little Anikin Skywalker was annoying and gave a terrible performance. Although I will probly see this movie a million more times.

Pinapple Express... This is one of those movies you will see over and over no mater how much you don't like it.

Starwars The Phantom Menace... I will probly see this movie a million more times.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
But wouldn't that be just about all of them?

We've had a thread where people mentioned films they liked but wouldn't want to see again, although there are no such movies as far as I'm personally concerned. However, I can understand how certain movies put you through the emotional ringer and you can feel that once is enough.

If this thread is truly phrased correctly, it makes sense to me. It's basically movies which disappointed you but are those which you'd probably give another look later on to see if you missed something the first time or if you and the film have grown closer together over time. I can't really get into specifics here because I watch movies which I rate pretty low over and over for all kinds of different reasons, but none of them are for masochism.

Welcome to the human race...
Because they can be better a second time around? Quite a few of my favourite movies are ones I didn't think too much of the first time around, but I opted to give them a second chance and there you go.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of course. I know some MoFos, such as mack, who says she only watches any and every film once. I respect that, but to me, it makes no sense. Sometimes you're tired and miss most of the flick (without realizing it or accusing the movie itself of "putting me to sleep"). Other times, you have other people around, or are on the phone, or are on the 'puter, or are on the fill in the blank. Other times you watch the film with your friends and/or family, and they tend to lead you to think of it a certain way which later turns out to be something resembling the power of suggestion or "mass hysteria" where you saw something which everyone else did but is basically impossible to exist in our world. Now, I'm not saying that Lynch, Cronenberg, Bergman, Fellini, Bunuel, Maddin, etal., can't produce in you images, nightmares, gibberish which won't haunt you until the day you die, I'm saying that it's up to you and not up to them, how much power they have over your own life, especially since I believe that you should have the most power, unless you're drinking absinthe and reading Poe and/or Lovecraft.

Iro pretty much said it. The reason to watch a disappointing film again is because nobody's perfect, and we may have missed something interesting or insightful that will change our perspective on it. Maybe something arbitrary, like your mood, affected the enjoyment of the first viewing.

Anyway, I don't watch most films more than once, but I definitely give films a second chance, particularly if a) they're well regarded by people whose opinions I respect and often agree with, and/or b) it's been awhile since I've seen it.

Particularly that second reason. There are lots of movies I saw when I was a bit younger that I have a very different perspective on now. Simply having seen the films I've seen since the first time around changes my perspective the second time around, particularly on modern films that reference or imitate older ones that I hadn't seen the first time through.

I'm going to put on m flame-proof suit here and say Once Upon a Time in the West.

I'm not saying it's a bad movie; far from it. But after all the hype as "The Best Western Ever Made,*" I was, quite frankly, disappointed. I won't go into all the whys and wherefores here (I'll save that for a proper review, or the movie tab), but I will be giving it another look (maybe even tonight).

*Another Sergio Leone movie, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, holds that spot, in my estimation.

I'm going to put on m flame-proof suit here and say Once Upon a Time in the West.

*Another Sergio Leone movie, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, holds that spot, in my estimation.
I was disappointed by them ... and then watched them again.

What do I get ?

"Unhappy" is a term that can be taken a few different ways. One can like a film yet be unhappy because they did not "love" it. There have been films where I went in wanting them to be amazing, yet just turned out pretty good, which kinda made me unhappy. OTOH, there have been films where I was hoping they would at least be good, yet they blew goats, and there have been films that have filled pretty much every scenario out there. I think the term "unhappy" does not mean one thinks it was a bad film, but then again it could. This thread makes me want some bipolar medicine.

"Unhappy" is a term that can be taken a few different ways. One can like a film yet be unhappy because they did not "love" it. There have been films where I went in wanting them to be amazing, yet just turned out pretty good, which kinda made me unhappy. OTOH, there have been films where I was hoping they would at least be good, yet they blew goats, and there have been films that have filled pretty much every scenario out there. I think the term "unhappy" does not mean one thinks it was a bad film, but then again it could. This thread makes me want some bipolar medicine.
In this case, I've chosen to interpret "unhappy" as "disappointed," where the movie, for one reason or another, did not meet my expectations. Sometimes that was because my expectations were too high at the outset,either through what I'd heard, or because of the people involved (Once Upon a Time in the West), and other times the films started out really well, but then fell flat (The Lost Boys, for example).