Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Anatomy of a Murder - 1959 courtroom drama that, owing to it's two hours and forty minute long runtime, is meticulously detailed in it's depiction of a murder trial in a small, upper peninsula Michigan, army base town. Lt. Frederick Manion (Ben Gazzara) is accused of shooting and killing the man who raped his wife Laura (Lee Remick). She's a beautiful, bored and flirtatious young housewife who may or may not have known the victim well. Enter ex-DA Paul Biegler, (Jimmy Stewart), now reduced to a private practice. Laura Manion begs him (in her own fashion) to take on her husband's case. With the help of old friend, boozy attorney Parnell Emmett McCarthy (Arthur O'Connell) and loyal secretary Maida (Eve Arden) Biegler takes on the thorny, ambiguous case.

The courtroom proceedings take up most of the film and director Otto Preminger never lets the momentum flag. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't have done with some judicious editing here and there. George C. Scott also turns up eventually as Claude Dancer, a prosecutor from the State Attorney General's office and he and Stewart's character are responsible for most of the films captivating, tension filled moments. I did wonder though how this film was even allowed to be made and released in 1959 given it's methodical breakdown of the actual act and it's numerous references to rape. This is a very sober and grown up sort of picture and one that simply doesn't jibe with Eisenhower era mores.

The cast is first rate with Gazzara and Remick simultaneously upfront and restrained in suggesting that the Manions aren't your typical young couple. Scott and Arden also do a fine job in their supporting roles and all four actors are so proficient in their work that IMO Stewart as star and protagonist is left with not much to do but Jimmy Stewart it up. There's an outstanding soundtrack by Duke Ellington who makes a cameo as, you guessed it, a musician. Oh and lastly, you also get to see Floyd the Barber say the word "sperm" several times.

Both thumbs way up for this one. It's probably my favorite Jimmy Stewart role, and everyone in the cast was perfect. I'm a big Eve Arden fan, and I love her supercilious and wisecracking asides. And Lee Remick... wow!

This film put George C. Scott on the map. Then he followed it up with a great performance in The Hustler in 1961, and he was off to the races.

It was interesting that they used a real U.S. Senator to play the judge. He had no acting experience, but he was perfect. His "panties" admonitions were memorable.. I still think it's one of the best courtroom drama movies ever made.

Another Round

It's close to perfect. It tightropes the tonal line between drama and comedy and turns what could've easily been an after-school special on the dangers of alcohol into something that is multidimensional, introspective and authentic.

It also has the best ending I've seen in a very long time.

Perhaps my favorite film and performance of 2020.

I've been reading nothing but great things about that film. I've gone a bit overboard with the "freebies" on my challenge this month so I don't know if I can make time for it, but I'll see if I can sneak it in early April (hope Hulu doesn't sack it before the Oscars!)

Both thumbs way up for this one. It's probably my favorite Jimmy Stewart role, and everyone in the cast was perfect. I'm a big Eve Arden fan, and I love her supercilious and wisecracking asides. And Lee Remick... wow!

This film put George C. Scott on the map. Then he followed it up with a great performance in The Hustler in 1961, and he was off to the races.

It was interesting that they used a real U.S. Senator to play the judge. He had no acting experience, but he was perfect. His "panties" admonitions were memorable.. I still think it's one of the best courtroom drama movies ever made.
Pretty darn good film. Wrote something about it back when I saw it (read it here).

Make a better place

Moxie, 2021

Vivian (Hadley Robinson) lives a subdued life with her mother (Amy Poehler, who also directs). The arrival of a new student named Lucy (Alycia Pascual-Pena) shakes things up, especially when Lucy begins calling out the rampant sexism at the school. Inspired by her mother's past, Vivian begins an anonymous zine called Moxie. But as Vivian and other girls in the school push back against sexism, they go up against the administration and, at times, each other.

This was a fun little flick, and it did a much better job of exploring its ideas than I expected. If anything, the film takes on more than what can reasonably fit into one film. Intersectional feminism is incredibly important, and the film strains at the seams trying to tell a lot of stories. I appreciated that the film wanted to acknowledge multiple points of view. We get a look at Vivian's best friend's (Lauren Tsai) home life, and the way that she doesn't feel she has the same freedom as her white, "fully American" friends.

The film also takes time to acknowledge the struggles of men who want to be allies to their female classmates. Seth (Nico Hiraga) is a good friend to Vivian and he unabashedly supports the girls of Moxie. But when Vivian becomes upset at the way that she and her friends are constantly pushed down in their efforts, she vents her anger at every male in range, including Seth and her mother's soft-spoken boyfriend (Clark Gregg). In this moment, Seth can't win. It's a nice moment because you feel for Vivian, and yet Seth doesn't deserve to be treated the way that Vivian does. Part of what Vivian has to figure out is how to accept help and support and not see men as a unilateral enemy.

There are several moments in the film that are well-observed, ranging from large to small moments. As a former high school and college athlete, I really felt the criticism about how boys' sports teams (and especially football) reap all of the support and money, even when they are far less successful than their female counterparts. This is something I see in my own community (including a student whose boyfriend wanted her to skip an important soccer game so that she could come cheer for him . . . at his practice). It includes the way that school administrators will play interference for popular students, while at the same time aggressively enforcing policies against others when it suits them. There are boys who show up to my school in Hooters shirts, while girls are constantly asked if the straps on their shirts follow the 3-finger rule.

The performances all range from good to pretty good, and I found the core group of girls (and Seth!) to be very likable. Patrick Schwarzenegger is perfectly smarmy as lead antagonist Mitchell, the star football player.

The negatives to the film are very predictable in this kind of girl-power comedy/drama. The film wants to swing big, and that means that characters often take dramatic actions or have changes of heart that don't feel totally earned. For example, the only teacher we really see in the school is Mr. Davies (Ike Barinholtz). In a very funny and on-point sequence, he and Mitchell fanboy over The Great Gatsby to the exclusion of the other people in the room. But later in the film, Davies shows support for the Moxie girls. But . . . why? We have seen zero awareness from this character, and he has even nodded along when Mitchell accused the Moxie girls of "bullying" him. So from whence comes the change of heart?

Likewise, there are several subplots that, due to time, do not get the depth they really need. Two of the girls in Moxie are gay, and yet this is literally revealed almost as a throwaway. The intersection between feminism and LGBTQ+ activism can be fraught and yet the film just sort of nudges it into the corner. Even a subplot about Vivian's mom starting to date again feels like it needed a fair more screen time to have narrative coherence with the rest of what happens in the movie.

This is a film that tries to take on a lot more than it can handle. I appreciate its effort to be inclusive, even if the number of characters and subplots threaten to overrun its sub-two hour runtime. I liked its messages about solidarity and the different version of allyship, and how easy it is to accept the way things are. At times its messages come off a bit cliche and surface level, but I think its heart is in the right place.

Victim of The Night

Re-watch. Still a classic after all these years.
Yup.
If anyone ever doubted Jane Fonda as an actress, this should clear that right up.

Victim of The Night

Anatomy of a Murder - 1959 courtroom drama that, owing to it's two hours and forty minute long runtime, is meticulously detailed in it's depiction of a murder trial in a small, upper peninsula Michigan, army base town. Lt. Frederick Manion (Ben Gazzara) is accused of shooting and killing the man who raped his wife Laura (Lee Remick). She's a beautiful, bored and flirtatious young housewife who may or may not have known the victim well. Enter ex-DA Paul Biegler, (Jimmy Stewart), now reduced to a private practice. Laura Manion begs him (in her own fashion) to take on her husband's case. With the help of old friend, boozy attorney Parnell Emmett McCarthy (Arthur O'Connell) and loyal secretary Maida (Eve Arden) Biegler takes on the thorny, ambiguous case.

The courtroom proceedings take up most of the film and director Otto Preminger never lets the momentum flag. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't have done with some judicious editing here and there. George C. Scott also turns up eventually as Claude Dancer, a prosecutor from the State Attorney General's office and he and Stewart's character are responsible for most of the films captivating, tension filled moments. I did wonder though how this film was even allowed to be made and released in 1959 given it's methodical breakdown of the actual act and it's numerous references to rape. This is a very sober and grown up sort of picture and one that simply doesn't jibe with Eisenhower era mores.

The cast is first rate with Gazzara and Remick simultaneously upfront and restrained in suggesting that the Manions aren't your typical young couple. Scott and Arden also do a fine job in their supporting roles and all four actors are so proficient in their work that IMO Stewart as star and protagonist is left with not much to do but Jimmy Stewart it up. There's an outstanding soundtrack by Duke Ellington who makes a cameo as, you guessed it, a musician. Oh and lastly, you also get to see Floyd the Barber say the word "sperm" several times.

Yeah, I thought this movie had an intensity that really surprised me. Remick especially but also Gazzara really excel in this picture.

Victim of The Night
... I'm a big Eve Arden fan, and I love her supercilious and wisecracking asides.
Ok, this was not a thing I ever expected to share with anybody else but... cheers!

Yeah, I thought this movie had an intensity that really surprised me. Remick especially but also Gazzara really excel in this picture.
They're my favorite part in this movie. Gazzara with his carved ivory cigarette holder and Remick with her intrinsic flirtatious nature. Their performances allows the viewer to fill in the blanks. Do they have an open marriage? Some sort of cuckold foreplay thing? I like how it doesn't bother to try and explain it away. An unapologetic and levelheaded tale. Definitely ahead of it's time.

FEVER PITCH
(2005)

First viewing. I've known of this film for years but never really had an interest in watching it. I found it on Prime recently and thought, "What the heck?" I like Jimmy Fallon and I've always thought Drew Barrymore was cute, and their chemistry in this light romantic comedy was very good. I was also surprised to find that the makers of the film are the Farrelly brothers of Dumb & Dumber and There's Something About Mary fame, a tidbit I didn't realize. Not the best of its genre but an enjoyable watch nonetheless.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I did wonder though how this film was even allowed to be made and released in 1959 given it's methodical breakdown of the actual act and it's numerous references to rape. This is a very sober and grown up sort of picture and one that simply doesn't jibe with Eisenhower era mores.
Yeah, but it's isolated (though significant) examples like Anatomy that lead to the breakdown of Hays Code censorship on Hollywood during that era, along with others like Psycho & Some Like It Hot (I kid you not about the latter), which eventually lead to the rating system in the 60's. Anyway, as far as legal dramas go, the movie itself is basically just an extended episode of Law & Order in cinematic form, but it was a good "episode" anyway, so I ended up liking it regardless.

Love and Monsters (2020)

A poor man's Zombieland in my eyes...it never charmed me, but the world itself was pretty cool. It doesn't dive too heavily into any genre (comedy, action, romance, etc), and everything was just okay.

I've been reading nothing but great things about that film. I've gone a bit overboard with the "freebies" on my challenge this month so I don't know if I can make time for it, but I'll see if I can sneak it in early April (hope Hulu doesn't sack it before the Oscars!)
Its worth going more overboard.

Throne of Blood, yall.
Holy jeez

I didn't give it nearly enough credit when I first watched it, but I've warmed up to it by a lot.

Ona a side note, if you're currently in a Kurosawa binge, you should watch Yojimbo next.

Ona a side note, if you're currently in a Kurosawa binge you should watch Yojimbo next.
Thanks, but my not-quite-OCD brain has decided I must go chronologically. This rule can not be broken, I'm afraid.

Thanks, but my not-quite-OCD brain has decided I must go chronologically. This rule can not be broken, I'm afraid.
Fair. For what it's worth, The Hidden Fortress would probably be my second rec.

Throne of Blood, yall.
Holy jeez

Probably my favorite Kurosawa so far (Only seen 4). That might change when I watch Ran in the next weeks. Who knows.