Automobilia

Tools    

My dad bought a '72 Riviera in '73. Felt like we were riding around in the Batmobile.
Believe it or not, this is what my 4 siblings & I were driven around in as kids - a vintage Rolls Royce. Somewhat like this, but all black. No clue what year it was. Have always wondered what my mother thought when my father came home in this one day. People used to wave to us as though we were royalty.

In general, I'm a fan of big American cars with fins - mostly found between 1957 & 1962
Brownie points if you know why “fins” were so popular.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Ever since watching Bullitt I wanted this car. A 1967 Ford Mustang.

Virgil Exner is responsible for some pretty outrageous designs (most Plymouth/Chrysler/Dodge/Studebaker).

One of my favorite weird looking cars is the '61 Fury:

Very polarizing design - very rare to see one. I've only seen one close up - guy rolled into a car show with it and wasn't sure what it was. Bought it from his boss who was cleaning out his warehouse.

Brownie points if you know why “fins” were so popular.
Probably a variety of reasons but the most touted one was that they acted as 'stabilizers'. Of course, esthetically, they were modeled after what designers thought of as 'space age' elements... rockets, fins etc.

I really like this time period - postwar prosperity. The military guys brought polypop (Polynesian Pop Culture), aka 'tiki' back from Hawaii and it was all the rage. If you look at architecture from that period it's a curious mix of primal antiquity and cutting edge technology. Probably the Googie/tiki styles represents that best.

Believe it or not, this is what my 4 siblings & I were driven around in as kids - a vintage Rolls Royce.
Very cool!

Those old v12 engines were works of art (not sure if your car had one or not).

Of course, esthetically, they were modeled after what designers thought of as 'space age' elements... rockets, fins etc.
More simply, it was the start of airplane travel for the average Joe. So the fins mimicked an airplane. Very cool, I think.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Oooo
That reminds me of the '67 Camaro Super Sport from Better Off Dead!!

The SS were always a good model whenever it was a Chevy car.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The “SS” would always make me think of Hitler.
ha. GAH, that's dark! lol.
I feel so... confused about this!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear