Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You ready? You look ready.
Josh Brolin? Yes please.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

This looks dull....gonna bomb like blade runner 2049
Mulholland Drive, Children Of Men, Donnie Darko, Sunshine, Dredd, The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club all bombed as well, so... yeah.

Villeneuve hasn't made a bad movie yet either.

It's super cool, but man, are there gonna be jokes about how that looks.

It'll be the, uh, butt of many jokes.
Eagerly awaiting space jokes involving Uranus etc.

Mulholland Drive, Children Of Men, Donnie Darko, Sunshine, Dredd, The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club all bombed as well, so... yeah.

Villeneuve hasn't made a bad movie yet either.
There is something off in his directorial efforts, especially the big budget would be blockbusters that never end up being one like blade runner 2049....they need a flow and a pace that merits their budget and intended wide appeal and he is not able to deliver on those fronts...even godfather had a pace and flow that made it an instant classic...but blade runner 2049 was slow and dull. Not a bad movie doesn't mean it's a great movie...not a bad movie means director tried his best not to make a bad movie by covering all the bases that could it make it stale and unoriginal. It is different than having the golden touch to make a great memorable movie. All his movies except sicario lack kinetic propulsive forward momentum even sicario became run of the mill and generic by the end and that will kill a movie in blockbuster arena. Dune looks dull as well.

I'll summarize that for everyone else:

He's psychologically profiled Villeneuve and everything he does or doesn't do will be shoehorned into that profile somehow.

One thing I have to say, breaking MoFo's language rules... the cast is ****ing amazing.
not to pick on every one of your points but doesn't the cast look second rate ? javier bardem ? oscar isaac ? rebecca ferguson(aka tom cruise movie generic eye candy woman) ? josh brolin ? these are all actors that tried their hands to be leading men and they failed and they settled for playing supporting roles....if it was mark wahlberg or matt damon..then i would look at the cast differently..but these are all actors that are not on the top of the list for being in a lead role. And also to have oscar isaac and josh brolin and javier bardem in the same movie is confusing because for general public they look almost the same as all three of them are not that famous.

There is something off in his directorial efforts, especially the big budget would be blockbusters that never end up being one like blade runner 2049....they need a flow and a pace that merits their budget and intended wide appeal and he is not able to deliver on those fronts...even godfather had a pace and flow that made it an instant classic...but blade runner 2049 was slow and dull. Not a bad movie doesn't mean it's a great movie...not a bad movie means director tried his best not to make a bad movie by covering all the bases that could it make it stale and unoriginal. It is different than having the golden touch to make a great memorable movie. All his movies except sicario lack kinetic propulsive forward momentum even sicario became run of the mill and generic by the end and that will kill a movie in blockbuster arena. Dune looks dull as well.
To me Villeneuve is Blade-Runner-Era-Ridley.
Alien, BR, both slow burners... and took years to become recognised.
In time, the same will be said with Villeneuve.

I mean, did you want Prisoners to be a Taken clone?
Or Arrival to be another Independence Day?

BR2049 being slow is kinda the point.
Like with Ridley's Blade Runner, you have to watch it, and realise that not every sci-fi movie needs to be Star Wars Episode 2.

not to pick on every one of your points but doesn't the cast look second rate ?
Again, only if the only thing you look at is sheer fame.

It's fairly odd (and seemingly totally unexamined) that you place so much emphasis on this stuff, but it's downright bizarre that you just project this emphasis onto everyone else, as if it hasn't even occurred to you that anybody might feel differently.

Welcome to the human race...
I just like the implication that casting Mark Wahlberg in this would automatically improve it.

Anyway, I'm still hype and that's a good trailer. Even the stereotypical trailer cover is good.

I just like the implication that casting Mark Wahlberg in this would automatically improve it.

Anyway, I'm still hype and that's a good trailer. Even the stereotypical trailer cover is good.
Yep, definitely needs more Arnie... and CGI Banthas in the background.