Oscar 87 (Films of 2014)

Tools    

This should be titled Oscar 86 (Films of 2013)
out of 5

12 Years A Slave:

Philomena:
Beautiful movie with beautiful performances. I believe it did everything a movie is supposed to do, keep one engaged and entertained, lose the predictability, and give people something to talk about following the viewing. It transported the viewer to a new land and Judi Dench kept you there until she was ready to let you go.

Nebraska:
I don't much remember this movie, I remember the plot and the actors and it's quirky style but not much else. Maybe that says something, I don't know if about this movie or just my memory.

Captain Phillips:

The Wolf of Wall Street:
Great acting for DiCaprio who, in my opinion, was SNUBBED harshly. This was his best performance in sometime. Despite popular opinion, I did not like Inception or Shutter Island and honestly I havn't been able to get all the way through the Revenant. But DiCaprio made what could have been just another movie had anyone else been cast in his place and made it a stand out. The fact alone that he shot the scene of getting to the car while on drugs in a single shot shows that he is NOT overrated even slightly.

Her:

Gravity:
I hate this movie. This movie gave me unbelievable anxiety and I did not appreciate it. Is the acting great, yes, is the cinematography out of this world () yes, do I ever in my wildest dreams want to imagine being in that situation? Never.

American Hustle:
There was too much going on and I couldn't engage or attach myself to it. However, I feel as though I may have built it up in my mind since I love all the actors in the movie and it definitely deserve another viewing. \

Dallas Buyers Club:
I feel this movie got exactly what it deserved, Matthew MaConaughey and Jared Leto both won for their amazing performances and the movie and screenplay were both acknowledged with nominations. Well done.

Winner: 12 Years A Slave
My Opinion: The Wolf of Wall Street

2013 was a great year for film! So many great flicks came out that year. And so was 2014 but that was a Oscars 88.

The Wolf of Wall Street is one of my top 30 favorite films, Dallas Buyers Club was superb, Gravity I really liked, but I think to get the most of the film is to watch it on the big screen and see it in 3D. Nebraska and Captain Phillips were pretty good. 12 Years a Slave I felt was okay, but I feel my issues are with the director. The cast was great but the pacing did not make it feel like 12 years. American Hustle was over rated as hell and Her was plain crap.

This might just do nobody any good.
The pacing in 12 Years a Slave is very much intentional. You’re watching the film from Solomon’s perspective in a situation forcing him to live outside of himself. There are various moments to clue you in on this but the most important is probably the hanging with it’s unyielding camera work. There’s also the standard Hans Zimmer score that works, essentially, as a sanctuary in his mind and that’s why it sounds so elating.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
This should be titled Oscar 86 (Films of 2013)

Gravity: I hate this movie. This movie gave me unbelievable anxiety and I did not appreciate it. Is the acting great, yes, is the cinematography out of this world () yes, do I ever in my wildest dreams want to imagine being in that situation? Never.
Hi Brogan. What does the eye rolley indicate for you about the cinematography?

Interesting that the movie gave you a lot of anxiety. I remember getting anxiety but obviously not as intense as yours because I enjoyed the hell out of it on first viewing in 3D. Second viewing in 2D? I did not enjoy it at all. Infact it was a struggle for me to get through it.

12 Years A Slave, Mark Phillips, Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club I thoroughly enjoyed exactly as is. I havent seen the others listed yet.

Hi Brogan. What does the eye rolley indicate for you about the cinematography?

Interesting that the movie gave you a lot of anxiety. I remember getting anxiety but obviously not as intense as yours because I enjoyed the hell out of it on first viewing in 3D. Second viewing in 2D? I did not enjoy it at all. Infact it was a struggle for me to get through it.

12 Years A Slave, Mark Phillips, Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club I thoroughly enjoyed exactly as is. I havent seen the others listed yet.
it's not for the cinematography but for my sad dad joke about being "out of this world"

it's not for the cinematography but for my sad dad joke about being "out of this world"
I actually love cinematography and it is usually one of my favorite parts of a movie