The Gunslinger 45: Top 12 Movies I Like, You will Probably Hate

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
I have seen none of those as of yet. Interesting idea for a list. I can't really think of 12 films that I could make my own list with. I can think of maybe two, but I know Swan likes one of them: Knock Knock and 4:44 Last Day on Earth.

7. I Come in Peace (aka Dark Angel)

To be honest I could put Dolph Lundgren features here period. Now Dolph has some great roles in a supporting character in action movies. The man was Drogo in Rocky 4, he was SGT Scott in Universal Soldier, and he was great as Gunner in The Expendables franchise. But Dolph as a lead actor in his own movies, he is nowhere near as successful. And I have seen a lot of his solo flicks from Red Scorpion and his Punisher movie to his direct to DVD fair like Command Performance. But for this list I really had two main choices. I could have easily put Masters of the Universe on this list for obvious reasons. It is not seen as very good, it is one of Cannon’s lesser fair, and seen by many as a poor adaptation of the He-Man IP. But instead I have opted for this movie. I choose this movie for the list since because while Masters of the Universe despite all of its flaws… many many flaws; many people in my age group can look back on it with nostalgia as one of the first films they saw. There are no nostalgia goggles for this movie.

I Come in Peace follows Dolph Lundgren as a Houston cop who plays by his own rules named Jack Caine. Caine is on the tail of a group of drug dealers called The White Boys (white referring to the color of their colors and the heroin they deal). Caine’s partner is killed and his superior who hates his unorthodox methods saddles him with a new partner from the FBI much to Caine’s displeasure. Now all of this sounds like the basis for a generic 80’s and 90’s cop movie. All that is missing is Caine getting suspended only to go after the bad guys anyways, and his partner was a few days from retirement before getting killed. But that is only part of the movie. The movie also deals with an alien drug dealer coming to Houston, injecting people with heroin, than harvesting their endorphins caused by the drug. The alien drug dealer then synthesizes those chemicals into a drug that he sells to addicts on his home planet. Said interstellar Frank Lucas is in hot pursuit by a space cop and both are drawn into Caine’s own case with the White Boys. If this sounds absolutely ridiculous… it’s because it is.

But that is why I like it. The premise is bat *****. But the movie sticks to the premise so the film’s tone is consistent. The movie also has all the fun of a 90’s action movie with its explosions, car chases, shoot outs, and action beats. Top it off; Dolph Lundgren is just one of those actors I will see in just about anything. From his features to his straight to DVD stuff; from straight action to ridiculous I seem to either like the movie or enjoy it well enough. And this is my favorite movie where Dolph Lundgren is the lead. At least from what I have seen so far. I still need to see a bunch of his other movies like Showdown in Little Tokyo. But until then this movie will top the list.

I Come in Peace (AKA Dark Angel) is great. Honeykid and I did a commentary to it once.

Probably not. I haven't watched any of these, but I like Troma, and Rob Zombie's film, so I would probably dig those two.

Jersey Girl? You're probably right. I liked Clerks, and Mallrats somewhat, but everything else gets on my nerves. Tusk included, but I have a soft spot for it since it's just one of those late night horror movies that demands to be seen with friends for a good gross out session.

6. Troll 2

That’s right, I like a movie considered by many to be one of the worst movies ever made. And it is considered one of the worst movies for very good reasons. The movie was written by director Claudio Fergasso’s wife to vent her frustrations at many of her friends going vegetarian. The problem with the movie being she and her director husband, don’t speak the best English. As such, they wrote the script in English to be acted by English speaking actors. This would be fine, except they insisted on the English speaking cast do the lines as they were written. The cast was unable to change the lines to emote what the director wanted to say, only sounding like proper speech. The line delivery was made even worse by the English cast having little to no acting experience. The father of the lead family was a dentist by trade and never acted before. The film was also VERY cheap looking thanks to the low budget approach by producer Joe D’Amato. Finally the movie was made as a standalone movie, but advertised as a sequel to the original Troll movie, even though there are no Trolls in this damn movie!

Now these are very legit reasons why the movie would be considered bad. And it was. But the execution led to unintentional hilarity and some very memorable lines. The dad of the lead family has one of the best lines in the movie in regards to “pissing on hospitality.” And finally there is the most famous line in the movie.

Combine this with some truly strange choices for plot including ghost grandpa, vegetarian Goblins, the film set in the town of Nilbog, a house exchange, and the fate of the family lying in a bologna sandwich; you get the best worst movie ever! No seriously, it is. They even named the documentary about the movie that. It is really a great experience and should be had by everyone at least once. The flick has gained a cult following because it is deemed a “So bad it is good” movie. But for every person who likes it, there will be more who loath it.

I like Troll 2. I first saw Troll 2 before it became Troll 2. It's now become an overrated thing. Everyone talks about it like nobody's heard of it -- they have.

5. Yor: The Hunter from the Future

I had to put a Reb Brown movie on here somewhere. Reb Brown is an actor and stars in primarily action movies. But he never made it to the level of say Stallone, Van Damme, or Dolph Lundgren. Brown was big in movies that were low budget and generally made by foreign directors. As such he stared in fair that would generally show up on Mystery Science Theater 3000. In fact his most well known movie Space Mutiny is one of the most well known MST3K episodes. I was actually first introduced to his work as a kid when I rented his Captain America TV movies from Blockbuster Video. But it was not until I started watching The Spoony One’s reviews that I really came to know who the hell he is. And after those reviews, I actually checked out a few of his flicks. And hands down the one I enjoyed the most was Yor: The Hunter from The Future.

Yor is a hunter who comes from the high mountain. He is drawn into adventure by fighting a triceratops with a stone axe which leads to fighting purple cave men, traveling the land, and then eventually fighting robots and the evil Overlord. The movie was filmed in Turkey and is made on an ultra low budget. The movie was so cheap they could not afford effects for the flying saucers shooting at Yor and company. Another scene that involved Yor and another cave man swinging over a pit on trapeze had to be done with action figures on a mini playset. In addition the plot is ridiculous; the twist of Overlord and his techno palace was out of nowhere when it looked like a prehistoric sword and sorcery type movie, the line reads are pretty bad, and the ending is pretty damn silly.

So why do I like it? Because Yor … you know what? F**K IT! I don’t need to explain why the movie is awesome I will show it!

That’s right I just saw Reb Brown hang-glide with the corpse of a giant f**king bat to drop kick a b!tch. Your argument is invalid! The flick is beyond silly from its lines and premise, but the flick is a lot of fun and has a bitching rock opera style opening theme song. Do I really need to say more? What the hell were you expecting?

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've seen almost nothing so far but it's still been an entertaining read. There is one film I have seen though, Dark Angel (or I Come in Peace if you prefer), and it's a whole lot of fun

I've seen almost nothing so far but it's still been an entertaining read. There is one film I have seen though, Dark Angel (or I Come in Peace if you prefer), and it's a whole lot of fun
I knew I could count on you for that one!

Great stuff. I actually ordered Troll 2 just the other day, and it's coming tomorrow!

Master of My Domain
Haven't seen any of these, but I am fairly sure I'd hate them.
Hey this is my reaction.

The only film I've seen from here is Troll 2, but the 'Oh My Godddddddddd' scene is it's highlight and then after that it's a constant plummet into awfulness.