The Gunslinger 45's Top 12 Favorite Firearms

Tools    

Hello MoFo’s! Time again for another list from your ol’ pal Gunslinger! As many of you know I am a pretty passionate guy. Many have noted this about my film reviews and my top 50 favorite films. Top it off; I have waxed a bit about my experience with video games and anime. So naturally, I think it is time I posted a list about my other passion: firearms. Between it being my other favorite hobby tied with the cinema and my on the job training, there is a reason my net handle is The Gunslinger. So why not? Let’s discuss my top 12 favorite firearms!

I want to establish one rule though. In order to be eligible for this list, I need to have ACTUALLY SHOT the firearm. Now there are several guns out there I like and admire, but for various reasons I have never actually shot before. And as someone who has lived in medium sized to big cities, this has dramatically shaped my experience in shooting and experiencing new firearms. Due to the combo of all the indoor ranges I went to in Florida did not allow shotguns and rifles on range, the lack of outdoor ranges that I could easily get to, and cost; I have been primarily a handgun shooter for the entirety of my time as a firearm owner. As such, my experiences with rifles and shotguns are particularly limited. Now had I been raised a rural country boy, my list would probably be filled with old surplus rifles, shotguns, and I probably would have been a hunter. But since I am a city boy, I stuck to handguns, since I could shoot them regularly. Again, there is a reason why my net handle is Gunslinger. But there were certain other life experiences and circumstances that lead to experiences with other kinds of firearms.

So sit back and enjoy my all time favorite guns.

FN 249 SAW – 5.56 NATO (Belgium)

I know what you are thinking, what the hell happened to the “this will be a mostly handgun list?” Well the bottom half will be chalked up to one of those “other circumstances” I mentioned. This one is due to my time as an infantryman in the United States Army. When most people think of the country of Belgium, most people think of waffles, Jean Claude Van Damme, and Stella Artois. But I think of one of the premier firearms manufactures: Fabrique Nationale (or just FN for short). This fine company has created some of the best and most innovative firearms on the planet. They range from the creation of the FNP series of pistols, the Five-seveN pistol, the P-90 that certain internet commandos cream their shorts over, and the FAL rifle that was adopted by so many NATO members it earned the nickname “The Right Arm of the Free World.” But my personal favorites, are their belt feds. Because happiness is a belt fed machine gun. And thanks to the US Army, I was issued not one but two Belgian belt feds. First up was the 240B in 7.62 NATO. It is a medium machine gun that is used to be the main fire power of your standard infantry platoon. Two of these bad boys will not only tear up the enemy, but when used together will keep the enemies heads down until your rifle teams close the distance and neutralize the enemy threat. It is also REALLY fun to shoot. So why is it’s little brother the 5.56 NATO SAW my number 12? Easy. You ever carry a 240B? IT SUCKS!

The 240B is used by a 2-3 man machine gun team. Ideally one man carries and operates the machine gun, one person directs the machine guns fire and carries the tripod, and a third guy carries the ammo. But my unit used the two man team, so while I do have experience shooting the machine gun, I was usually stuck carrying the tripod, spare barrel, 800-1000 rounds of belt fed ammo, my M-4, the ammo for my M-4, and 30 pounds of body armor. And they expected me to RUN with all this one! It blew. So when someone with have a skull decided maybe we should move the 5’ 8” 150 pound infantryman off the machine gun team to a rifle squad, they gave me the SAW. A light machine gun. Now sure the SAW still weighs almost 20 pounds, it beats the hell out of the 27 pound 240B. Not to mention I get to carry my own ammo which was WAY lighter! And after humping the 240B around, the SAW felt like a sweet vacation by comparison. While lacking the supreme pump of the 7.62 NATO round, the SAW shoots like a dream when throwing down 5.56 NATO rounds at 800 rounds per minute. And with the use of a super short barrel, one could actually use it to clear rooms like an M-4. Additional pluses included that I never had to pay for ammo. I miss my SAW.

11. Colt AR 15 / M4 Carbine – 5.56 NATO (USA)

Another weapon issued to me by Uncle Sam. I was first trained on the Colt M4 Carbine in basic training before someone gave me access to belt fed weaponry. The M4 is the carbine version of the legendary M16 designed by Eugene Stoner. The differences include the collapsible butt stock and the shorted barrel. Not only allowing for a shorter weapon better suited for close quarters battle, but it makes a weapon that can be suited for shooters of a variety of sizes. And while some people are still pissed that we switched over to the M16 family over the old M14, my experiences with the weapon have been pleasant. So much so when I left the army and had to give up access to my Colt M4 carbine with a 3 round burst, I bought a civilian semi auto only AR-15. And no, my AR-15 IS NOT AN ASSAULT RIFLE! I don’t care what the A-holes in the media say. My AR will only fire one shot at a time. It lacks the full auto sear and select fire switch that is one of the defining features of an assault rifle. My AR-15 is just a semi auto rifle that certain people just do not think I should own. This is their problem. In fact I am in the market for another AR-15. This one will be a department approved model I can carry in my squad car when I am on duty as a police officer. I just need to get to rifle school first before I can carry it. Whether it is my old M4 from the Army or my current AR-15, I have a soft spot for this fantastic weapon. But ironically enough, it is not even my favorite weapon Eugene Stoner designed. That is my number 10 weapon.

10. Armalite AR-7 – 22 LR (USA)

Every serious gun guy owns a 22 LR. 22 LR is a small, easy to shoot caliber, very accurate, and cheap to shoot. Plus, any pistol range in the country will let you shoot a 22 rifle on it since the bullet is so small, it is not going to mess up the bullet catch the same way a standard rifle or shotgun will. In fact the only issue nowadays with 22 LR ammo is finding it. This is due to people buying and stockpiling 22 LR. This has been an issue ever since a certain Democrat entered the White House in 2008. Due to the laws of supply and demand, certain once very common calibers tend to go quick or even get more expensive when certain politicians get into office. I blame the Democrats. But even then, it is not super hard to find 22 LR, but when I do find it, I tend to buy as much as I can. And I like to keep at least a few thousand rounds on hand at a time. Just to be safe. Now I have owned several 22 LR guns in the past, and I have sold them or traded them off. This one however I will keep forever. Now don’t get me wrong, this is a very fun gun to shoot, but it is also incredibly practical.

This weapon was designed by the Eugene Stoner while he worked at the Armalite Company. In the late 1950’s, the US military needed a gun that could be given to pilots that was light and compact, but could also help them survive in the wilderness should they crash land or need to parachute out of the plane. Now a side arm (then the 1911A1) is good for defense again human hostiles, but a pistol will not put food on the airman’s plate. And let’s say he did hit something, 45 ACP is not going to leave a lot of meat. Enter the AR-7. The rifle is a 22 LR, so that means it could be used to down small game like rabbits and squirrel without wasting meat. And while not the best round to fend off human attackers, will enough placed 22 LR shots will do serious damage and can kill the enemy. Best of all is that it can be broken down.

The genius of the design was that the barrel, receiver and the magazine could be taken down and stored in the hollow butt stock. Not only giving you a practical 22 rifle, but one very easy to carry and store. Whether it be the planes for the military or for someone like me who just wants to throw his rifle in a backpack to go to the range. Not to mention it is great for campers, hikers, or people who like to spend long extended times in the woods.

As a person who knows nothing about guns, they make me very nervous. However, I am interested in getting something for home protection. Do I need to take a training course before applying for a permit, or the other way around? Also, what kind of piece would you recommend to a novice like me?

Can a trained guy like you pick up any type of gun and be able to use it, even if you've never handled that specific weapon? Or do you need special training for each one?

As a person who knows nothing about guns, they make me very nervous. However, I am interested in getting something for home protection. Do I need to take a training course before applying for a permit, or the other way around? Also, what kind of piece would you recommend to a novice like me?

Can a trained guy like you pick up any type of gun and be able to use it, even if you've never handled that specific weapon? Or do you need special training for each one?
I live in Texas, and before that Florida. I never had to apply for any permit of any kind to buy a gun. I had to apply for my concealed weapon's license and that was it. You live in Massachusetts if I remember correctly, so your laws are going to be very different then mine. Your best bet is to go to a gun shop and ask questions of the people who work there. they will be people in the know.

As for home protection, I follow the two gun principle set up by Colonel Cooper. You have a handgun so you can hide or conceal it easily when say going to the front door at 3 AM cuz someone is knocking on it. For a newer shooter don't be the jackass who insists on the hand cannon just because you want to seem macho. 9mm or 45 ACP are your best options. I would lean towards 9mm because the self defense ammo is a lot better then past generations, and cheaper to get ammo for.

And then your second home defense piece should be some form of long gun. The long gun is meant to be a fixed artillery piece because someone is in the home and you are at a fixed point in the house while on the phone with the cops on the line ensuring the family is safe. Generally speaking that is going to be a shotgun for most people, but a pistol carbine could be a very good substitute for someone who does not have a lot of experience with guns. And if you are really smart and do some research, you can find a pistol carbine that uses the same pistol mags as your handgun.

But this is all speculating and very general purpose. If you would like to discuss the issue with me more, send me a message.

If you do not have a whole lot of firearms experience I say look up local ranges and see if any have guns for rent. Spend an afternoon testing out a few guns. See what feels nice and natural in your hands and us that in making a decision in that way. That plus budget, need, and most impotently can you handle the gun.

As for the second part of the question, I am pretty good when it comes to handguns. I can pick up a handgun and I can generally figure out what I need to do to fire it and safely handle the weapon. But even a guy like me is not immune from asking questions on home a new gun works, If I have questions I ask. Safety is the number one priority. Especially when it comes to disassembling the weapon. When I bought my AR-7 the first thing I asked the guy behind the counter after asking the price was how the hell do I take it apart.

But even then, practice is needed for every firearm. Training is offered to civilians through the like of the NRA and can usually be set up through most gun shops. At least in my personal experience.

There's some kind of range/shop less than a mile from my house. I think I'll check in over there this spring and see what I can find out. Thanks for the answer and I'll send you a message when I get more info.

9. Ingram MAC 10 – 45 ACP (USA)

Ladies and gentle man, I have a soft spot for sub machine guns (SMGs). They are compact, fire pistol rounds, and you would be surprised how many ranges rent them to customers. Assuming you live in the right state. And since I love going to indoor ranges, I have actually been to quite a few that rented buzz guns. So before I was in the US Army, the two kinds of weapons I had the most experience shooting, even more so then rifles and shotguns, were handguns and submachine guns. God bless America!

I was first introduced to this particular machine pistol by a co worker of my father when he worked at Yahoo. This guy had a side business where he was a Federal Firearms Dealer and would actual buy kits to make and deal machine guns. My old man told him I wanted to go into law enforcement (I was still in high school at the time) and I was big into guns and wanting to go shooting. So said man offered to take me out to go shooting one day. So we go out and meet him and he handed me a 45 caliber MAC 10 with a suppressor; which he described it as “the ultimate fun gun.” And yeah it is kinda hard to dispute this. And after that day at the range I got my first taste of full auto.

The weapon was originally designed for clandestine operations who needed a small weapon with a crap ton of firepower and the ability to be suppressed. And before this became one of the favorite weapons of your local narco-terrorist gang bangers, it was one of the favorite weapons of the CIA. Designed by Gordon Ingram for the Military Armament Corporation (MAC) the gun fires 45 ACP at a rate of 1,145 rounds per minute. It has a wire stock that folds into the gun. And since the bloody thing is pure stamped metal, you better believe it is a hefty weapon. Which only helps the weapon in controlling the recoil which is very noticeable.

Now as much fun as it was to shoot I will more than likely never own one. Now fully automatic weapons are legal to own in the United States. You just have to live in a state where it is legal and there is however A LOT more paperwork that goes with it. Ever since the National Firearms Act of 1934, short barreled fire arms (rifles with barrels less then 16” and shotguns with barrels less then 18.5”) and machine guns were hit with a then very hefty $200.00 tax (close to $3,500 by today’s standards). This means that in order to purchase a machine gun today, the machine gun must be registered with the feds, go through an extensive background check including fingerprinting and getting photographed, and other legal hoops to jump through. In addition since there are laws about the weapons being registered with the feds, the pool of these kinds of weapons is very limited. As such, they are a lot more expensive than normal firearms. A MAC 10 I have seen priced at $4,000 to $10,000. I can’t justify that kind of purchase on my salary, especially since I want to start a family one day and have a retirement to plan for. This is a gun I won’t get unless maybe after retirement and I have invested well, or I win the lotto.

There's some kind of range/shop less than a mile from my house. I think I'll check in over there this spring and see what I can find out. Thanks for the answer and I'll send you a message when I get more info.
Good call. But yeah a handgun and maybe a pistol carbine might be your best bet. Call me and I can get you more info on models and the like.

A gun countdown? Gunslinger, are you looking to be MoFo's Most Controversial next year?

8. H&K MP5 – 9mm (Germany)

This was a really hard choice to make. As I said I have shot many a sub machine gun and machine pistol in my day. And choosing my all time favorite was quite a chore. One of my favorite places to go was a little gun shop/range in Hinesville Georgia called Mission Essential. I had a friend from a gun forum on MySpace who lived in the area and worked as a guard at Fort Stewart. He invited me to shot at the local range up there. So as a young man in college, I left Tallahassee and took a trip one spring break up to Georgia. Me and my friend spent the day shooting our pistols and the submachine guns the store rented. I had so much fun during that trip I made it a tradition to visit him and shoot every spring break. Because screw Pensacola, Panama City, and Cancun. My favorite spring break destination was sweet Georgia! I have shot the Glock 18 (which is the only Glock I have actually liked shooting), the MAC 10, the Colt Model 635, a WWII M1 Thompson sub machine gun, the M2 Carbine in 30 Carbine, and I have shot the Uzi on multiple occasions. And while I do love the Uzi in all its Israeli glory, the MP5 is my favorite sub machine gun. It was one of the first SMGs I ever shot and one that reminds me of the fun times I had in Georgia. The feel of the weapon in my heads felt so natural and the sights are leaps and bounds above any other SMG I have fired. And the gun is very accurate even on burst or full auto. There is a reason this German gun is the pinnacle of sub machine guns.

Again, a gun I have shot but odds are I will never own. These babies are even more expensive then the MAC 10. Last time I saw one for sale it was damn near close to $15,000.00. And I won’t get much chance on the force to shoot one either. Even if I go SWAT, most teams these days use the M4 more than the MP5. With bad guys getting body armor and opting to use rifles the MP5 is nowhere near as prevalent as it used to in the 80’s and 90’s. Same goes for shotguns these days. Maybe if I win the lotto I will track one down. Then again that would require me to actually play the lotto.

7. Smith & Wesson 29 – 44 Magnum (USA)

And now the handguns! And you knew this was gonna show up. Made by good old Smith & Wesson, this gun sold big because of a certain Detective Harry Callahan aka Dirty Harry. The movie was a hit, and a lot of people started buying these guns. And then others started trading them back in because they are idiots and can’t handle the recoil. As I have said, I have primarily been a handgun shooter, and I have a great affinity for big bore magnum handguns.

I used to own a 629. A 44 Magnum Smith & Wesson with a full bull barrel. And while yes the gun does have some kick, it is not a bad gun to shoot. You just have to be experienced and not afraid of a little recoil. If you are a new shooter you are much more likely to experience “magnum flinch” and miss the target entirely. If you don’t have this issue, the gun is actually really fun to shoot.

So you might be wondering, why the hell did I sell it? Because it was expensive to feed. 44 Magnum is an expensive cartridge. And even the cheaper and less powerful 44 Special, the gun is still going to be pricier then shoot then say a good 357 Magnum with 38 special bullets, a 45 ACP, or a 9mm. Twas not recoil that made me sell my 44 Magnum, it was my empty college bank account. I will probably get another one, but not for a long while. I have other priorities.

6. Walther P1 – 9mm (Germany)

This is the post WWII production of the famous Walther P-38. An expertly crafted pistol that while not as ergonomic as the Lugar, was far more reliable. Not to mention cheaper. I bought one of these guns used at a shop in Jacksonville. I found it to be very accurate, reliable, and just a beauty to look at. It just has that unique look that differentiates it from any other gun around. That old school classic gun look that they just don’t make anymore. While I would not use it as a combat pistol due to the low magazine capacity by 9mm standards, it is still fun to shoot. The single stack magazine makes the gun very easy to hold even in small hands. And while it is odd for me to have the magazine at the butt of the gun as opposed to on the slide by the trigger guard, again it won’t be something for carry purposes. And while the double action trigger was a pain, the single action trigger is pretty damn good.

This was just a really cool old gun to own. And since I never got into surplus rifles (as I have explained earlier) this was my way of getting in a surplus style weapon. Though with that attitude you think I would have owned more Soviet handguns like the Tokarev. Then again, German’s make far better guns then the Russians on the whole. Sadly this was during my college years when I did a lot more trading in of my guns. As such I no longer own my old Walther P1. A move I do regret to this day and will correct eventually.

Master of My Domain
A gun countdown? Gunslinger, are you looking to be MoFo's Most Controversial next year?
I'm a supporter of firearm restriction, but a simple list from someone who I know won't go on a killing spree doesn't offend me at all.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Damn, here I was, minding my own business just enjoying my second amendment rights, and you people have to freak out on me.

Guns don't kill people, Gunslinger45 does!