The Gunslinger45's top 10 Favorite Anime Series

Tools    

Not exactly what you would expect from a guy like me right? One would think it would be Cowboy Bebop or something similar to it. Right? Nope. My favorite anime is The Slayers. A sword and sorcery fantasy series that stars a pint sized sorceress named Lina Inverse. She is loud, arrogant, gluttonous, greedy, smart, and incredibly powerful. And not to mention one of very few female anime heroines who is not sexualized to the tenth power. Heck her bodyguard Gourry is sexualized more then she is and gets in drag at least once a season. In fact most of any comments about Lina's looks or fan service are played for laughs.

She is also followed by Princess Amelia and dark sorcerer / swordsman Zelgadis. The series is primarily a comedy, and while they may not explore the characters more fully like in Cowboy Bebop, the characters are very likeable and the story is very good.

The series runs through 5 seasons, but two of which are more recent, and not as good as the first three. I got into it by being introduced to the series in college. I liked the blend of action with comedy, the old school anime feel, and the main characters are really cool. It was nice that the show could be set up seriously in the beginning but could go completely goofy at the drop of a hat and still feel completely natural. And while it took about half way through the first season for all the dub actors to become finalized, by the end it really hit its stride as a series.

What I look for in anime are four things. Characters I like, entertainment, laughs and a good story. Deliver those things and you have me hooked. This series delivered it in spades and over three EXCELLENT seasons and two okay seasons. And it is my favorite anime. Which is weird since when I talked to Guap about this series, he had actually not seen it. Go figure.

Thanks for those who commented and reped my posts. No seriously thanks, I know anime is not big here so if you even bothered to check this thread out or read any of my postings I really do appreciate it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It's kind of refreshing to able to read and talk about anime without feeling like your going to graded and that grade is going to be a big fat F.

It's kind of refreshing to able to read and talk about anime without feeling like your going to graded and that grade is going to be a big fat F.
That does help. It is better to share something you like among friends comfortably, rather then sharing and constantly worried about approval over the internet.

I've watched some of the first episodes of Slayers, and one of the movies. But that was quite a while ago, I might have to get into it again.

About wizards with various powers, that all belong in different guilds. "Fairy Tail" being the main guild. The show starts of with a light, fun tone, but there are also very serious episodes, that deal with death, loss etc.

Thanks Gunslinger. Sad really that someone as passionate about a subject as Guap was has driven so many away from it.
I haven't seen any of those but will give them a look. I've only seen a handful of anime series and have enjoyed these.

Witchhunter Robin

Last Exile

Samurai Champloo

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I forgot about Witch Hunter Robin. I watched a couple of episodes of that and always meant to get back to it. My friend's niece is crazy about anime (they all are at her school) and that is one of her favorites.

Mine is Blood + with Cowboy Bebop being close behind.

This is a thread for the TV & music forum.

1. N.W., though it's a famous series
The most universally loved animated TV series (maybe even animation overall), perhaps the equivalent of The Godfather for animated TV series in that regard. IMO it's pretty great and was close to making my top TV series list (being one of the few episodic series that I admire)
3. Watched a few episodes but I don't remember much about it. It's very famous series among fans, so I think I should watch.
4. My favorite TV series when I was 10-12 years old. Did not like very much when I re-watched some of it recently.
5. Like Z, it has been ages since I watched it, don't remember much about it. I read the manga more recently and it was great.
6. N.W, though I know it's famous
7. N.W., but planning to watch at somepoint
Really close to making my top TV series list.
9. Watched a bunch of episodes of this 14 years ago, found it quite amusing.
Like Cowboy Bebop more violent but less elegant.

Very cool list full of cool shows. Very masculine/aggressive shows as well, among those I watched some of it. I rated only the ones I watched all the episodes recently.

Guap hadn't seen an anime? WHAT?
Anime is larger than Hollywood. If you want to have complete knowledge of Japanese animation you need to watch 80,000 hours of it. I have sadly, watched only 2,500 hours of the field.