James Gunn: has DC found its Feige?

Tools    

Remember when I said I wont watch any DC because they fired Cavill, well, I was wrong.

We shall see. I am no more or less excited about DC or the DCU/DCEU(LMNOP) than I was before. DC simply needs to be patient and focus on making good movies. Marvel's lead was impressive in phase 1, but phase 1 is over. Getting rid of every major actor-character pairing but Ezra Miller as Flash is still baffling to me.

Some interesting things here. The headlines (for me, at least):
  • Flash movie to kick things off (after a few smaller/animated things).
  • Gunn-helmed Superman film in mid-2025.
  • New Batman film, featuring his literal son, called The Brave and the Bold.
  • A film with multiple Green Lanterns in it.
  • A Swamp Thing horror film.

Another batman...exactly what we need.....batman stopped being special after the dark knight trilogy. This feminine director sure ain't gonna make a badass batman movie.

How do you hire a director who gave a bomb with the suicide squad to run your DCU ?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I like that we are still getting Reeve's Batman in his own world.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Another batman...exactly what we need.....batman stopped being special after the dark knight trilogy. This feminine director sure ain't gonna make a badass batman movie.

How do you hire a director who gave a bomb with the suicide squad to run your DCU ?
It doesn't matter if Batman isn't "special" anymore (and really, The Dark Knight Rises meant it stopped being special before the trilogy was over), it's still their most consistently popular property. I would think that someone who judges the success of films and filmmakers on a predominantly financial scale as much as you do would understand this.

Despite its financial failure, The Suicide Squad is one of the more acclaimed DCEU films of recent years and it was made by someone who had expertise working with Marvel (making surprisingly large hits out of both Guardians of the Galaxy films) so the logic here is that he'll transfer said expertise to a supervising role and be able to determine a better direction going forward than the executives who originally just wanted to throw together their own MCU as quickly as possible and have paid the price for it ever since.

So they’re betting literally millions of dollars on Ezra Miller keeping himself together, that seems smart.

I think Ezra Miller is going to be used temporarily, and there still will be a new Flash to take his place. Its following a plotline used in the DC Universe comics. I wont spoil it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
When do we find out he took the gig just to make a Swamp Thang movie?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
If superhero movies aren’t on the wane, their “stated” approach is promising. Seems like most agree that DC is the better content stable, if executed well.

A system of cells interlinked
They are most certainly on the wane, and I am having trouble getting psyched for any of this stuff. The dump-everyone-but-the-nutjob-actor thing is especially concerning. Alas, I guess Ezra is "On a new path of rediscovery" which is shorthand for "We get to live by different rules than the rest of you" when it comes to being a complete shit.

Eh, I don't think they'll get to keep playing the Flash after this particular film comes out - like Justice League, it just has sunk-cost fallacy written all over it so the best WB can hope for is to release it and recoup at least some of the losses (likewise with the new Shazam and Aquaman films, though the latter may be retrofitted into the new slate depending on whether or not they want to keep Momoa as Aquaman or switch him to Lobo).

They are most certainly on the wane, and I am having trouble getting psyched for any of this stuff.
Yeah, given the lukewarm response to Marvel's recent output, I can't decide if DC's timing is terrible or perfect. Will they fail because audiences are tired of superheroes in general, or is this the perfect time to swoop in while Marvel is "down"? Should be interesting

I loved what he did with his Suicide Squad & Peacemaker (which I would highly recommend).

I have reasonable expectations from him. However, he has to radically change his approach for Superman. I can't see Superman working with that kind of humour. In fact, if I have to be honest, I can't see Superman working at all in today's times.

A system of cells interlinked
Eh, I don't think they'll get to keep playing the Flash after this particular film comes out - like Justice League, it just has sunk-cost fallacy written all over it so the best WB can hope for is to release it and recoup at least some of the losses (likewise with the new Shazam and Aquaman films, though the latter may be retrofitted into the new slate depending on whether or not they want to keep Momoa as Aquaman or switch him to Lobo).
Agreed, they really had no way out with this one, as it was pretty much in the can at that point. Pasting Grant Gustin's mug over all the footage just wasn't going to work, regardless of how many fans (of The Flash show) were calling for it.

It doesn't matter if Batman isn't "special" anymore (and really, The Dark Knight Rises meant it stopped being special before the trilogy was over), it's still their most consistently popular property. I would think that someone who judges the success of films and filmmakers on a predominantly financial scale as much as you do would understand this.

Despite its financial failure, The Suicide Squad is one of the more acclaimed DCEU films of recent years and it was made by someone who had expertise working with Marvel (making surprisingly large hits out of both Guardians of the Galaxy films) so the logic here is that he'll transfer said expertise to a supervising role and be able to determine a better direction going forward than the executives who originally just wanted to throw together their own MCU as quickly as possible and have paid the price for it ever since.
nice try...trying to ding the dark knight rises...it became cool to hate on it because its not as good as the dark knight but the dark knight rises is miles better than any garbage MCU has put out ever.

It's same as folks telling no one cares about avatar anymore and that make 2 billion and now everyone is like "I dont anyone who watched it". Sheeple.

Bottom line is James gunn doesn't know how to make a muscular film. He is a weirdo and he will make movies for weirdos. This thing will sink even before it begins.

nice try...trying to ding the dark knight rises...it became cool to hate on it because its not as good as the dark knight but the dark knight rises is miles better than any garbage MCU has put out ever.

It's same as folks telling no one cares about avatar anymore and that make 2 billion and now everyone is like "I dont anyone who watched it". Sheeple.

Bottom line is James gunn doesn't know how to make a muscular film. He is a weirdo and he will make movies for weirdos. This thing will sink even before it begins.
I don't have to try. It's been a decade and having Nolan's name on it doesn't put it above criticism (the same arguably goes for The Dark Knight, which I originally gave a
on release but knocked down to what feels like a very generous
when I last watched it in full in 2015). It doesn't matter whether or not something is "cool to hate" as long as the hater can back it up.

But anyway, the question of whether or not Gunn can make a "muscular"(?) film is irrelevant if he's not actually attached to directing any of these films - chances are he'll be too busy being an executive producer to have time for that anyway. I don't have any strong feelings about him as a filmmaker - I'm in the minority that actually hated The Suicide Squad - but being a producer requires a different set of skills to being a director (including being able to pick filmmakers who are best suited to the material they're adapting) and we won't know for sure how well this approach will work until it's underway.

Some interesting things here. The headlines (for me, at least):
  • Flash movie to kick things off (after a few smaller/animated things).
  • Gunn-helmed Superman film in mid-2025.
  • New Batman film, featuring his literal son, called The Brave and the Bold.
  • A film with multiple Green Lanterns in it.
  • A Swamp Thing horror film.
TV Shows
- Green Lantern - Detective Stories
- Waller - Peacemaker Season 2
Creature Commandos - Animated Suicide Squad
Booster Gold -
Paradise Lost - an adventure Story on an Island featuring the Amazons

Movies
2025 - Superman Legacy
2027 - Supergirl:World of Tomorrow
The Authority
Brave and the Bold (Batman/Damien Wayne)
Swamp Thing

Green Lantern might be good but that's going to be based on the FX budget. Booster Gold is a rough starting point because Booster and the JLA/I is one of the teams that really should be a top priority. Authority has a number of problems and really it should be DC's Game of Thrones not a film. This is something that needs to be an epic with a hard R not a 2 1/2 hour PG-13 film. But it's good that we're seeing some Warren Ellis projects coming out because his cancelling was kinda BS.

As for the idea that Super Hero properties are waning...I hate to say it but what are they replacing them with? It seems like most content only exists for a single season