What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Robin Hood is so much fun. I don't care about historical inaccuracies or bad accents or any of that. I love it.

And I used to have Kevin Costner movie marathons when I was a kid. Talk about a glutton for punishment. I mean, I still love a lot of his movies, but those marathons would last a whole weekend - not because I had so many of his movies but because each one is so long.

Aw, come on, they weren't all long!

Well, I don't often like to admit this because of -- *whispers* the haters out there -- but I still love a bunch of his movies. No Way Out, The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, JFK, Tin Cup, Wyatt Earp, Message in a Bottle, Thirteen Days, Robin Hood, Upside of Anger, Open Range, A Perfect World, and my favorite, Dances With Wolves. I even liked The Postman.

I've decided I don't care what others think about it.

What a fantastic question. Tough, too. I would be very hard-pressed to pick one film; like many of you, different films hit me at different times in different ways. A couple stand out, though:

Jurassic Park

This is the first movie I remember actually anticipating, which is a big deal. I remember seeing trailers, waiting for it to come out, knowing I was going to see it right away when it did, and wishing it would come out sooner. Right or wrong, anticipation is a big part of the modern movie industry, and this is the first film that I was actively waiting for.

Unbreakable

Sounds silly to some, I'm sure, but this hit me at exactly the right time. I was 16, and I saw it in a packed house that was rapt with attention the whole way through, and I found myself admiring cinematography in ways I never had before. For some reason, it's the first film I saw where I actively took note of the way shots were framed.

It's also probably the first film that I really actively thought about and discussed. I'm sure I've said this before, but when I left the theater I merely really liked it. I talked about it with others at the screening, and by the time we finished the drive home, I loved it. It made me realize that films can be better the more you think and talk about them, and that there's a lot beneath the surface that doesn't always reveal itself to you during the initial viewing.

My dad tells me that Congo was kind of a big deal for me when I was much younger, but I don't have much memory of its influence. All I remember is thinking that it was very serious, wherein today it seems like borderline camp to me (without the borderline, really).

Another milestone of sorts was The Relic, which was the first scary movie I wasn't scared by. For some reason a switch went off in my head and I realized "wait a second, it's fake. There's no reason to actually be scared of this." It didn't make me love movies in general, obviously, but it did open up a lot of movies which I'd never thought to consider watching before.

But, yeah, if I had to pick one, it'd probably have to be Unbreakable. No one movie really led me to adore movies, I don't think, but that one caused me to watch and think about films in an entirely new way.

Well, I don't often like to admit this because of -- *whispers* the haters out there -- but I still love a bunch of his movies.
I still love his movies, too.

Besides Robin Hood, I still enjoy:

Silverado, Dances With Wolves, The Bodyguard, A Perfect World, The Postman, Mr. Brooks, and - *gasp* - Waterworld.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Honestly I think I was just born loving movies. I don't remember a time in my life when they weren't overwhelmingly important to me, there was no real trigger movie. So I answered this question thinking about my "firsts." My first R rated movie- Terminator, the first movie I felt I understood in a "grownup" way- The King and I, my first full blown obsession movie- Donnie Darko...I finally decided on the movie that really opened my eyes to movies as an artform- Pulp Fiction. Funny thing, I remember my dad trying to show it to me when I was in 4th or 5th grade and I was so offended by the language that I made him turn it off after about 5 minutes. About two years later he finally got me to watch it and...wow. There were so many things I'd never seen before. I remember loving technical aspects for the first time; the camera angles, the transitions, the screenplay. It all sprouted from the fact that this was the first movie I'd seen that was completely selfaware of its movieness. It wasn't trying to mimic real life, it was revelling in the fact that it wasn't real life. For the first time I remember loving the people behind the camera as much as the people on screen.

Happy New Year from Philly!
Every Easter weekend, we had a nice dinner, and I would be so excited because I would see The Wizard of Oz afterward. We had popcorn ready, and I would sit on the floor in front of the TV, chomp the popcorn in my pajamas, and it was like the best day of the year. I looked forward to this every single year. I wonder how many times I saw it? I even knew exactly when the commericals would be.

I knew all the lines. I had this album that had almost the entire movie on it -- dialogue, songs, everything. I used to listen to it all the time while waiting for my once-a-year viewing!

The following generations of VHS/DVD kids will never have a memory like that.
That's a great memory. I was thinking that we should join a club for people who share memories like this. Then I realized there is one it's called the AARP. I kid! I kid! I'm not ready for the AARP yet.

My sister listened to that album obsessively. I thought I would kill her. Then she graduated to more esoteric stuff like ...brace yourself... YOKO ONO, which she also listened to obsessively. Oh lord that she made it past puberty is probably due to my going away to college. LOL

I am burdened with glorious purpose
That's a great memory. I was thinking that we should join a club for people who share memories like this. Then I realized there is one it's called the AARP. I kid! I kid! I'm not ready for the AARP yet.
Yea, I'm not ready for the AARP either, even though they send stuff in the mail.

And that would be an interesting thread -- "Movie Memories" -- where we could share different memories that surround the viewing of a film. I have a few, although one of them (surrounding Lord of the Rings: Return of the King) that would be inappropriate to share in public.

My sister listened to that album obsessively. I thought I would kill her. Then she graduated to more esoteric stuff like ...brace yourself... YOKO ONO, which she also listened to obsessively. Oh lord that she made it past puberty is probably due to my going away to college. LOL
This is the first I ever heard of anyone having that album! I graduated from that to Barbra Streisand, Tommy, and Jesus Christ Superstar. That was all I listened to...over and over and over and over.... I'm not sure I could have listened to Yoko, lol.

Happy New Year from Philly!
This is the first I ever heard of anyone having that album! I graduated from that to Barbra Streisand, Tommy, and Jesus Christ Superstar. That was all I listened to...over and over and over and over.... I'm not sure I could have listened to Yoko, lol.
Too funny, my sister beat Jesus Christ Superstar to death too. LOL

At least she had good taste, except for her Yoko obsession.

IT Was Nightmare Before Christmas, it was that because it made me express my feelings more openly it told me not to be scared of what you say and that made me very happy

I bet I get all dirty again.

Aw, come on, they weren't all long!

Well, I don't often like to admit this because of -- *whispers* the haters out there -- but I still love a bunch of his movies. No Way Out, The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, JFK, Tin Cup, Wyatt Earp, Message in a Bottle, Thirteen Days, Robin Hood, Upside of Anger, Open Range, A Perfect World, and my favorite, Dances With Wolves. I even liked The Postman.

I've decided I don't care what others think about it.
I LOVE every movie of his I have seen. The only ones I didn't really like were Fandango and Rumor Has It. But all the others are great movies.

Thats awful! I got you beat though my dad adored Slim Whitman. I wish I were lying but I endured that yoddling assed 8-track so many times oh I hated Slim Whitman. I loved and I mean loved the ending to Mars Attacks. His sound was one of a kind cause nobody else could be that bad.

As a connoisseur, so to speak...I'd say A Streetcar Named Desire got me into movies based on plays- mainly from the 50's, as 50's American theatre is my thing. Seeing famous stars in Tennessee Williams plays adapted to film made me see them in other things and so I got really into big Hollywood 50's successes.

I can't think of any film that got me into films, I've just been watching them endlessly since I was about 7.

Oddly though, the closest thing I can get to what got me into films was the Michael Jackson Thriller video. I was a big MJ fan as a kid and I rented The Making Of Thriller the first day it was released and watched it about 4 times that day. After that, when I watched it I realised that I found what went on behind the scenes more enjoyable than the video itself.

I was laying in bed one night when I was around thirteen I switched on the TV, flicked through the channels and stopped on a movie mid-way in. That movie turned out to be Trainspotting. I didn't find that out for at least another year but I was so into it, it got me interested in film.

I Am Registered And So Can You!
So...I never answered this thread, even though I thought it was an amazing one.

And my answer is Legend.

It's not the best movie ever made, but it was my favorite movie when I was a kid, and I still get excited if I see that it's playing on FLIX, or PAX, or any other basic cable station (probably the only stations that air it...and even that's rare).

When I was little, I had a really active imagination, like occasionally-convince-myself-my-made-up-life-was-real active. I lived inside my head a lot, and I never really needed exterior stimuli to entertain myself, because I could do that pretty damned easily with all the characters, and creatures, and situations that I made up.

I think that what I saw in Legend was my own fantasies, or something very similar to them; and I liked that, in a movie, you could be anything you want, or create anything you want, and there were really no restrictions. You could transfer all the things that run around your head onto the screen. I guess I always knew this, I mean I *had* seen movies before, but this is the movie that really made it click for me. And not only that, but when it came to movies, it was like being able to climb into another person's head, and join in on their fantasy. Now I got that there were ways to make other people see it your way, maybe through movies, or art, or through writing, but there were ways.

At the time, I was really too young to understand WHY I loved Legend so much (the movie was released 1 year after I was born, and I didn't see it until a few years after its release date), or why I loved movies similar to it, but I think I can say now that what drew me to it in the first place is that it was so fantastical.

Employee of the Month

I love how April O`Neills drawnings came to Life. The reaction of the brothers to the possibility of loosing Raphael. Leonardo, who is his brothers keeper, Michelango who rips his mask of a clown away, Donatello who is keep ignoring the bad circumstances and working on his Pick-up with Casey Jones. Every second of this movie is just great. And:
"Never pay too much for a cold pizza!"

lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring

So many good movies, so little time.
I liked Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves too, but the movie I watched over and over, when I was young, was The Adventures of Robin Hood.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx