The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Joaquin Phoenix basically IS the movie, though. Well, him and Scarlett Johansson's voice, but you can't put a voice on a poster.
Well, yeah, but there are a hundred different things you could've done with the poster than just put him in there with a blank stare. Just by googling "Her alternate posters", I get a dozen of better options (see here) that feature Phoenix and actually tell me *more* about the film than the main one.

EDIT: Here is an interesting example without Phoenix.

The truth is in here
Wait...are you telling me this isn't just some monolithic exercise replicating other lists and accepted norms but is in fact a unique collection of diverse tastes?

No wonder we keep doing them.
Of course things will change if the lists are personal instead of consensus-based, it just seemed so statistically unlikely that Infinity War would slip by. I haven't even seen any Avengers films after the first one, I'm just here for the logic.

Well, yeah, but there are a hundred different things you could've done with the poster than just put him in there with a blank stare. Just by googling "Her alternate posters", I get a dozen of better options (see here) that feature Phoenix and actually tell me *more* about the film than the main one.
We'll have to agree to disagree, because I think several of those are just flat out awful (and difficult to read) and the rest are not an improvement over the official poster.

EDIT: Here is an interesting example without Phoenix.
"Interesting" is not the word I would use for that.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I think several of those are just flat out awful (and difficult to read) and the rest are not an improvement over the official poster.

"Interesting" is not the word I would use for that.
Ok

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Her didn't make mark f's ballot.
A 3.5 didn't make it? I wonder what did then.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A system of cells interlinked
Like Holden, I also had Her at #16. I adore the film, and watch it every now and then when the isolated nature of our tech-overloaded society really starts to wear on me. This film perfectly conveys the disconnected-by-being-too-connected nature of all this stuff. I often think of the scene during which Theodore is meandering around the city, and all these people are talking, but none of them are talking to each other, or maybe a few of them are, but none of them seem to even know Theodore exists; they are all absorbed in their own little world on their devices. You know, kind of like our society now. Her was one of the sources of inspiration to pretty much ignore my phone all day, which I pretty much do at this point.

My ballot:

Should be Top 10
Gravity
Arrival
Will be Top 10
Brooklyn - Sadly will not make it
The Revenant
Incendies
Life of Pi - Another near miss
Whoops! Thought this was a near miss but wasn't
Prisoners
The Florida Project
Boyhood
Birdman
Might make Top 3
Interstellar
Her
The Man from Nowhere
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation - Should have been Nightcrawler
Sicario
Hell or High Water
The Guardians of the Galaxy
Inception
Get Out
Zero Dark Thirty
The Raid: Redemption

Looks like I am the winner of the big dumb populist film fan award, eh?

Her is 24 on my list. I'm glad to see it so high on this one. I had a writeup that's unfortunately lost since the Rotten Tomatoes forums are no more, and it's been a while, so I'll just highlight some moments that stuck with me an that make me wistful when I think about them:
WARNING: spoilers below
the many shots of the silo-like skyscrapers of Shanghai representing modern alienation, the failed experience with the surrogate, Scarlett Johansson's performance, of course - too bad voice-only performances are not Oscar-eligible - and the closing with Theodore's farewell e-mail/reckoning with his ex-wife.

Two Lovers is another very good and similar movie to this one starring Joaquin Phoenix, by the way. It looks like things are working out for Spike Jonze at Viceland, but I do miss seeing his name in opening credits.

...too bad voice-only performances are not Oscar-eligible...
They are eligible. Just none of have ever gotten a nomination, thus far. The first real push to make one happen was Robin Williams in Aladdin, and he did not make the cut (the year Hackman won Best Supporting Actor for Unforgiven). But they are definitely eligible.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
[b]

There are 10 films on my list that haven't made either the list or the near-misses. I know that my #1 will make it. There's an outside chance that my #12 will make it. The rest are definitely nos at this point. There are two that won't make it that I'd really hoped might show, but they didn't even make the first 30 near misses.
I also have 10 still out there and all 10 ain't making the final 8.
I assumed my entire list would make this list since I don't go too far off the reservation on these things, and I must say I'm kinda shocked that some of these will not even make the near misses, but, as I am learning in my third year here, this place often surprises me.

They are eligible. Just none of have ever gotten a nomination, thus far. The first real push to make one happen was Robin Williams in Aladdin, and he did not make the cut (the year Hackman won Best Supporting Actor for Unforgiven). But they are definitely eligible.
Good to know, thanks. He would have been another good candidate, but I'm not surprised he didn't get one. Man, that was a strong set of nominees that year (Hackman, Pacino, Jaye Davidson, etc.)

Victim of The Night
Eight, but although I see your point, I think that's a small amount compared with the massive amount of superhero output that has been released just in the past decade (20 eligible MCU films, 8 eligible DCEU films, plus anything miscellaneous) By law of proportion, there were bound to be a few, and I think 8 is a fairly low percentage out of the 30+ superhero films that were eligible.
I agree. I don't think their representation is disproportionate by much.

I like Spike Jonze generally, and Her is fine, but it didn't leave a strong impression on me. No vote from me.

Victim of The Night
Miss Vicky won't be happy about Her making this list since she doesn't like the film at all. She also has a strong dislike for Joaquin Phoenix, as you all know.
Oooh, we have another thing in common. (I am softening a bit though.)

Victim of The Night
I think on at least one of my previous forums, tastes were just a lot more clustered than they are here. This place has a really wide gamut compared to, I think, any forum I've been on.
Which is actually really interesting for me. It just sometimes stuns me.

A system of cells interlinked
I think on at least one of my previous forums, tastes were just a lot more clustered than they are here. This place has a really wide gamut compared to, I think, any forum I've been on.
Which is actually really interesting for me. It just sometimes stuns me.
If I had to theorize on what the ideal forum demographic would be, it would be one that features the most diverse set of people, with diverse and wide-ranging taste, who all get along swimmingly for the most part. I think this place goes a long way to achieving that techno cinematic utopia, while of course having room to improve and grow.

Her didn't make my ballot as it didn't grab me the way it grabbed some other people, but it still paints a compelling portrait of a not-so-distant future where people value technology and AIs over real-world relationships (an extreme portrait of our current usage of technology). In the film, the reliance of technology is so extreme that AI dating is a normal part of society and, from what we see, isn't looked down upon. This is a compelling premise, complete with a nice undercurrent of alienation being an issue for a number of people we see in the film (both major and minor characters), but the film never rose above this premise for me in the sense I felt it was at the forefront of the film's themes and there wasn't a whole lot else for me to latch on to. It's one thing for your film to have a compelling premise, but it's what you do with it that truly counts. Still though, it's a really good film and I'm glad it made this list.

Also, in regards to Spike Jonze's 2010's films, I prefer I'm Here.