Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Mad Adventures of Rabbi Jacob (1973) - 7/10. A brilliant slapstick comedy. The film did get away with a lot of stuff that probably might have been inappropriate today. But overall it's an amazingly fun ride. And in the midst of it all there was discernible plot as well which so many comedies forget and just go for laughs and gags.

Near Dark (1987) - 6.4/10. Very good. Kathryn Bigelow really has some talent. Her first movie and it is pretty evident. It does have some bad graphics in it. Probably budget got in the way of that. But overall enjoyable. Nothing memorable of course but good.

American Me (1992)

Edward James Olmos directed this and it has a good, authentic feel. The story of La Eme, the biggest Mexican prison gang was well told. I liked how it didn't sway into airbrushing events. The music also complemented the narrative. Hard nosed (like the main character) and interesting.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Emelie (Michael Thelin, 2015)
5.5/10
Sweetness in the Belly (Zeresenay Mehari, 2019)
5/10
Satanic Panic (Chelsea Stardust, 2019)
5.5/10
The Country Girl (George Seaton, 1954)
+ 6.5/10

Grace Kelly ts the wife of lying drunkard actor Bing Crosby.
The Delivery Boy (Adekunle Nodash Adejuyigbe, 2020)
6/10
A Perfect Plan (Jesse D. Ikeman, 2020)
5/10
Seberg (Benedict Andrews, 2019)
6/10
Passenger (Andrzej Munk & Witold Lesiewicz, 1963)
- 6.5/10

Unfinished Holocaust film is still pretty good.
All for Nikki (Brandon Willer, 2019)
+ 5/10
The Strange Affair (David Greene 1968)
5.5/10
Madame Sin (David Greene 1972)
+ 5/10
The Terrorizers (Edward Yang, 1986)
6/10

It takes awhile to piece the plot together and know what's going on.
The Great Gilly Hopkins (Stephen Herek 2015)
5.5/10
Night Train to Mundo Fine AKA Red Zone Cuba (Coleman Francis, 1966)
3/10
Saint Frances (Alex Thompson, 2019)
+ 6/10
Scoob! (Tony Cervone, 2020)
6.5/10

Scooby and Shaggy are friends forever.
The Skydivers (Coleman Francis, 1963)
4/10
Exorcism at 60,000 Feet (Chad Ferrin, 2019)
5/10
Monstrum (Huh Jong-ho, 2018)
6/10
Life Is a Miracle (Emir Kusturica, 2004)
7/10

Flying bed with lovers makes the Bosnian War both more whimsical and more tragic.

Watched RUN FOR THE SUN (1956) with Richard Widmark, Jane Greer, Trevor Howard, and Peter van Eyck. It was an adaptation of THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME and it is a very good movie that was shot in color on location in Mexico.

Doctor Sleep
(2019)
3.75/5

I liked it. A typical Stephen King movie. I never realized how much of a fan I was of his until I realized how many of his novels to film I have seen.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

End of Watch (2012)

Even for this movie, the under the bed story was too graphic.

Pawn Sacrifice (2014)

Well made and sturdy representation of the chess genius Bobby Fischer. The tension dropped at times (as I do not play chess) but it was a fascinating insight to the mind of competitors and being driven.

I enjoyed the film, and I was a huge Fischer fan back when he was beating everyone, leading up to his crushing of Spassky.

My gripe was in casting Toby Maguire as Fischer. He was almost perfectly wrong. He's too small, too mamby-pamby, and couldn't intimidate anyone. Fischer was tall, assertive, brilliant, unpredictable, and a killer. Sitting across the table from him must have been like sitting across from Satan.

Actually Schreiber would have been better playing Fischer, and they could have got someone else for Spassky.

The Artist - 2011

2012's best Oscar winner. I was sure it was good but hesitant to take time out to watch a silent movie. I can see why it won best picture it is a very good flick but it probably had the academy jizzing their pants some guy did a silent picture in 2011. I was personally more of a fan of Moneyball and The Help that year. I would have picked Moneyball but had next to no chance to win. The Artist is definitely not an egregious pick unlike other years.

The actors did a great job I think lead actor won best actor. For a silent movie in 2011 it's really not a bore at all. I was engaged the whole flick to see what happens. It is a nice little tribute to the silent movies right before the talkies. I feel the parallels now with Nolan and a few other directors trying to keep film and theaters alive. Feels relevant today. I knew the movie wasn't going be bad but it was better then I was expecting. I won't be racing back to watch it again but it's worth your time to check it out.

Great film in every way. It got a perfect "10" from me.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

THE CALL OF THE WILD
(2020)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

that's good

Thappad (Slap) (2020) - 4.8/10. A wishy-washy movie. At the start there is a barrage of characters introduced in the first five minutes, one might get lost. Director should have introduced them slowly. 30 years on from Kramer vs Kramer and just after Marriage Story, this was not impressive. The shoving "emotion" via dialogues is a crap way of telling a story. The acting was good enough, but the rest just not up to par. Its on Prime, so its free, didn't hurt that much!

Winner of the Adam Yauch Hornblower Award at SXSW 2017. No idea what that is although I do know who that is (RiP). So, an award winning film is what I was in the mood for and that's what I found. This is a sick little flick that works for about half it's runtime then pooters out.

In the beginning we meet two recovering addicts, watch them hook up, share some herpes, get addicted to poppers (the sniffing kind not the deep fried, jalapeno, cream cheese filled delicacy), have wild, disgusting, sometimes hilarious, in your face sex, behave like total a-holes on the streets of NYC, engage in some public whoopee, puke poo and give birth to a turd demon. That's all the stuff I liked. The scenes in NYC felt like they were filmed without permits and a couple times I thought the main dude was gonna get a nice beating, which he would have truly earned. Larry Cohen would have been proud. The last half hour or so is an intervention tv show rip off that did nothing for me. Sure the main characters faces by this time have transformed into giant buttholes and fart a lot while sniffing their poppers but fart jokes, which can be excellent comedy, usually lose their power to amuse about as fast as the real thing. They are best when used in quick, unexpected bursts, not as a running gag. Not as disgusting as an early Waters film but it feels like an offspring, especially the first half.

Weekend re-watches:

1st Re-watch...Jon Favreau is terrific in the title role, but there's just a whole lot of stuff that goes on this movie that I just didn't buy...primarily, how does a guy who looks like Jon Favreau have a girlfriend who looks like Scarlett Johansson and an ex-wife who looks like Sofia Vergara?

6th re-watch...there are laughs to be had here. but this movie just feels like a rehash of the first one. Rip Torn was really funny and Leslie Nielsen was sorely missed as Dr. Rumac.