Code Unknown: Constantine tries out a 100 films list

→ in
Tools    

So far, these are the ones I haven't seen...

#98 The Set-Up (1949)
#97 Shane (1953)
#96 Chimes at Midnight (1965)
#91 A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
#90 Ikiru (1952)
#89 Lifeforce (1985)
#88 A Hard Day's Night (1964)
#85 The Sandlot (1993)
#84 The Holy Mountain (1973)

I'm also pretty sure I saw both Creepshow and Trading Places back when I was a kid, but I don't really remember, so for all intents and purposes, those as well.

Welcome to the human race...
Another solid mix of canon classics and more personal favourites (especially like the inclusion of Creepshow).

Love A Hard day's Night, but Top Gun hasn't aged very well.
I still haven't seen any other of their films but, this one connected instantly. I never watched Top Gun until maybe a year or so ago and kept it in the dvd player on repeat, it's one of those goofy 80's infinitely rewatchable movies that I always find something else to laugh about. Good soundtrack also.

I forgot the opening line.

Mother / 2009 / dir. Bong Joon-ho
Saw this for the first time just the other week and I absolutely love it.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

With the exception of The Prestige (meh) and Gone With the Wind (double meh), I like the rest of these, so I guess I should eventually track down The Set Up, considering I've never even heard of that one.

Oh, and I guess one of these days I should see The Sandlot. Which begs the question, when exactly did The Sandlot become a canonized film? I never even thought of it until the last five or so years, when suddenly it just kept appearing on favorite lists. Is it like The Goonies for kids who grew up in the 80's (ie. decent but not great, had to be a kid at the time to truly 'get it')?

I'd never heard of The Holy Mountain and after a look here and there I can say that I desperately want to see it now.

If you also haven't seen El Topo, it is just as necessary to be watched by anyone who might appreciate what The Holy Mountain is doing.

Frankly, Fando Y Lis is my personal favorite Jodorowsky. But what do I know?

Oh, and I guess one of these days I should see The Sandlot. Which begs the question, when exactly did The Sandlot become a canonized film? I never even thought of it until the last five or so years, when suddenly it just kept appearing on favorite lists. Is it like The Goonies for kids who grew up in the 80's (ie. decent but not great, had to be a kid at the time to truly 'get it')?
Pretty much. I saw it four times in theaters and many more times on video, usually at friends' houses. The Goonies comparison is apt for how the movie succeeds at capturing the appeal of summer as a kid (well, interactions outside of school since it's not clear what season The Goonies takes place) as well as how male friends at that age communicate, potty mouthed insults and all. Plus, like that movie, it's endlessly quotable. I still say "you're killing me, Smalls" to this day. As for when it was canonized, I would guess the late '90s/early '00s because that's when stores like Spencer's Gifts were selling shirts with that quote on it.

I was late to this party also but it's become one of my favorite sports/kids movie, something new to catch every time It's on the tube.

I still haven't seen any other of their films but, this one connected instantly. I never watched Top Gun until maybe a year or so ago and kept it in the dvd player on repeat, it's one of those goofy 80's infinitely rewatchable movies that I always find something else to laugh about. Good soundtrack also.

Really? Top Gun has lost all of its re-watch appeal for me. But, that's just me.

Really? Top Gun has lost all of its re-watch appeal for me. But, that's just me.

You're watching it wrong.

The Deer Hunter / 1978 / dir. Michael Cimino

Dawn of the Dead / 1978 / dir. George A. Romero

Psycho / 1960 / dir. Alfred Hitchcock

Her/ 2013 / dir. Spike Jonze

The Lady from Shanghai / 1947 / dir. Orson Welles

Total Recall / 1990 / dir. Paul Verhoeven

Jackie Brown / 1997 / dir. Quentin Tarantino

Batman / 1989 / dir. Tim Burton

Stand by Me/ 1986 / dir. Rob Reiner

The Third Man / 1949 / dir. Carol Reed