Ecologically, we're dying.

Tools    

"How tall is King Kong ?"
So there's that.

But : money. If we weren't dying, we wouldn't be making as much money. So there's also that.

Therefore never mind. All is well. And probably a hoax as well.

I mean, yeah, I don’t think my grandchildren will even get to be born. But that’s that; I’d never be able to go without my nightly bath or heating, so I guess I deserve to die. It’s not so awful if you’re an egoist.

[Ecologically, we're dying.]So there's that.

But : money. If we weren't dying, we wouldn't be making as much money. So there's also that.

Therefore never mind. All is well. And probably a hoax as well.
Your point? You seem to be all over the proverbial map with this post...it's hard to tell where your sentiments lay?

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Your point? You seem to be all over the proverbial map with this post...it's hard to tell where your sentiments lay?
Just a tired, bitter observation on how this civilization opted to eradicate itself.

Who isn't 'we' ?

Of course, there are different scales of responsibilities. One's vespa doesn't have the same impact as another's private jet. But we've chosen to organize our societies around a system of exchange of goods that requires over-consumption and over-pollution to sustain itself. Our brains are wired to prioritize the immediate, the visible, the concrete at the expanse of long-term, abstract, remote, long chains of causalities. Everything emerges from our collective active and passive choices. And any measure that could preserve this planet would face powerful denial and opposition driven by our selfish, short-sighted considerations, be it -for some- about the preservation of an obscenely disproportionate power or -for others- about the preservation of a minuscule elements of comfort.

It's culturally entrenched. It would take an unimaginably different civilizational basis, and probably a very different species with very different cognitive abilities, for ecological collapse assessments to have the slightest impact on its causes.

But we're us.

Just a tired, bitter observation on how this civilization opted to eradicate itself.

Who isn't 'we' ?

Of course, there are different scales of responsibilities. One's vespa doesn't have the same impact as another's private jet. But we've chosen to organize our societies around a system of exchange of goods that requires over-consumption and over-pollution to sustain itself. Our brains are wired to prioritize the immediate, the visible, the concrete at the expanse of long-term, abstract, remote, long chains of causalities. Everything emerges from our collective active and passive choices. And any measure that could preserve this planet would face powerful denial and opposition driven by our selfish, short-sighted considerations, be it -for some- about the preservation of an obscenely disproportionate power or -for others- about the preservation of a minuscule elements of comfort.

It's culturally entrenched. It would take an unimaginably different civilizational basis, and probably a very different species with very different cognitive abilities, for ecological collapse assessments to have the slightest impact on its causes.

But we're us.
It's estimated that 750 million people around the globe live in extreme poverty. So I'd say there are many that don't consider themselves amongst that 'we' !