Cheesy tropes you just don't tire of.

Tools    

"How tall is King Kong ?"
You know, when that baddie is captured, but in fact it's all going according to plan, and getting captured was precisely what he wanted because BECAUSE ? I just love that. Same glee every time. Even if said plan is absolutely nonsensical (most of times to be fair), it's just that feel of something being just as -or even more- dangerous behind the bars than outside. Sensing a trap without really understanding how there could even be one.

Also, polite dialogues between undercover enemies who both know that the other knows that they know that both know they know it. It can be James Bond in front of a Zorin or a Stromberg, or Van Helsing in front of Dracula. I adore that sort of tension and cheesy, threatening double entendres.

Also the rescue squad stepping in a deserted or devastated location, and trying to figure out what happened there before it happens to them as well. It can be a bunch of United States Colonial Marines on LV-426, or a handful of scientists in a swe norwegian antarctic base. The looming, undefined thread with the foreshadowed outcome makes it a perfect mystery to me.

Similarly the ghost was your own tragic future gets me every time. It's the encounter between both selves, the inevitability, the miscommunication. Hard to give examples without spoilers (René Laloux's Time Masters maybe). By definition in involves a bit of a time loop. but it can be found in scifi just as in supernatural movies.

Pompous speeches being cut short always make me laugh, be it in Monty Python or in the MCU. From The Colossus of Rhodes to Deep Blue Sea, it gets me every time. In fact, every build up to epicness that gets instantly deflated triggers the same joyous,delighted laughter.

I also love innocuous mundane details that take a tremendous signification to the spectator and the characters given a certain background knowledge. Little visual or speech bombs that are bombs only for those in the know, because it's telling of something else, because it just joins two dots, etc. Can be a throwaway remark about a doctor's perfume, or an origami unicorn, or a typewriter in a cupboard, or... or... not enough examples. But the moment where a apparently meaningless detail completely turns around the understanding of the situation. I love this sort of small-to-big implication.

So, any cheap recipe to endear you to a movie ?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Whenever a biopic is made about a real life musician, they always have either drug problems, or homosexuality unacceptance problems, or sometimes both. It feels like a trope or cliche by now, but without it, the movies would have no conflict, if they don't.

@Flicker, we have another thread like this.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=58912

I actually misread the title of this thread when I first saw it, but my understanding is that this is more about the clichés you don’t mind/secretly like, whereas the one you linked in is about the more “annoying” ones. Though I don’t know where I got that from, might be wrong.

The trick is not minding
Whenever a biopic is made about a real life musician, they always have either drug problems, or homosexuality unacceptance problems, or sometimes both. It feels like a trope or cliche by now, but without it, the movies would have no conflict, if they don't.
It’s not a trope if it’s a true aspect of said musicians life.

I actually misread the title of this thread when I first saw it, but my understanding is that this is more about the clichés you don’t mind/secretly like, whereas the one you linked in is about the more “annoying” ones. Though I don’t know where I got that from, might be wrong.
Tropes, clichés, it’s confusing. Stepping away from this now. 😎

Yeah, maybe I would not have made this thread if I had seen the older one. Or maybe I would have phrased it differently.

Because even though the other OP ends with "which are your favorite ones" (which can also be ironic, like "favorite flaws", as cliché is more derogatory than tropes), it ends up a discussion about identifying the current, ongoing ones (as the title would imply).

And my angle was really meant to be : which tropes (or cliché, if you have a self-derogatory approach to your preferences) you really adore. Which ones may be tired, but are still very efficient on you, and stay eagerly welcomed by you no matter how many times movies resort to them.

Like little movie candies you still cannot resist.

Yeah, maybe I would not have made this thread if I had seen the older one. Or maybe I would have phrased it differently.

Because even though the other OP ends with "which are your favorite ones" (which can also be ironic, like "favorite flaws", as cliché is more derogatory than tropes), it ends up a discussion about identifying the current, ongoing ones (as the title would imply).

And my angle was really meant to be : which tropes (or cliché, if you have a self-derogatory approach to your preferences) you really adore. Which ones may be tired, but are still very efficient on you, and stay eagerly welcomed by you no matter how many times movies resort to them.

Like little movie candies you still cannot resist.
It’s no big deal. @Yoda discourages multiple threads on the same subject. I just asked him today to delete a thread of mine since an identical thread already exists that I had forgotten about. The two threads we’re discussing today are somewhat different, but I wanted you to see the earlier thread.

It’s no big deal. @Yoda discourages multiple threads on the same subject. I just asked him today to delete a thread of mine since an identical thread already exists that I had forgotten about. The two threads we’re discussing today are somewhat different, but I wanted you to see the earlier thread.
But it may also explain why it had so few responses. I was a bit "oh wow, people sure prefer posting about things they dislike", but now I think that most people had simply already addressed these things in that other thread.

It’s not a trope if it’s a true aspect of said musicians life.
I guess but it feels that if you see it a few times now that it starts to feel repetitive .

In which films about musicians are you referencing exactly?
Well when it comes to musicians having issues in being secure with their homesexuality, movies like Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, and when it comes to movies about musicians having drug problems, there is The Doors, Ray, Walk the Line, and The Dirt, off the top of my head.

The trick is not minding
Well when it comes to musicians having issues in being secure with their homesexuality, movies like Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, and when it comes to movies about musicians having drug problems, there is The Doors, Ray, Walk the Line, and The Dirt, off the top of my head.
Oh which all of them, except the dirt which I don’t know of, actually are factually based when it comes to their homosexuality (Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman), and their drug use (The Doors, Ray, Walk the Line).
It isn’t a trope if it happened, as it was a huge part of their lives. Did you expect the movies to omit thy part of their lives?

Oh no I don't expect them to omit it, it's just it feels like that Hollywood is making the same type of story, even if it's a true story, when do it a few times, it becomes a cliche, or so I felt. Anything done a few times will become a cliche, even if it's true stories.

I'll probably never get tired of elaborate descriptions of impenetrable vaults/rooms the protagonists have to break into even though it's ostensibly impossible. If done well.

I was looking forward to not watch The Suicide Squad at all. And so I checked the RLM review (there's movies I don't care to watch but are amusing as objects of commentaries by those who do). But a bit before starting with spoilers, they used that word. And, realizing that it's part of my list, I stopped the video.

It's : Misdirection. It's a word that makes me stop review videos before spoilers.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I'll probably never get tired of elaborate descriptions of impenetrable vaults/rooms the protagonists have to break into even though it's ostensibly impossible. If done well.

you must like the Ocean movies then, i personally hated them but to each their own.

you must like the Ocean movies then, i personally hated them but to each their own.
I did, yeah. Related, I also have a soft spot for talented directors or writers taking on genre projects that they're sort of "overpowered" for. I like seeing the mastery of execution when they're applying their unconventional talents to more conventional stories.