The Cabin In The Woods

Tools    

Going to give this a watch as soon as I can.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's currently sitting at the top of my list of 2012.

Suspect's Reviews

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Unicorn.

Bought it on Blu Ray a couple days ago, just watched it tonight. It was a highly entertaining flick. I can see how horror geeks would really dig it. However, I do not enjoy horror flicks that much. Usually too many cheap tricks and corny acting. But it was getting such great reviews I thought I'd take a chance on it.

It pulled off the horror, comedy merger pretty flawless which is no small feat. I would definitely recommend it if you are into the horror genre. Had to get a horror in my dvd collection and if I'd have to watch one this would be it. Well done.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

It was over-hyped for sure, but it's quite good. Very playful and smart, a bit tiresomely so, like a precocious child trying to win you over.

I agree that it leaned much more toward comedy/satire than horror. I would've liked something more balanced, to be honest. While the "behind-the-scenes" scenes with the technicians were all gravy, full of witty jabs and amusing banter, the actual meat of the movie - the students - was mostly as predictable and unengaging as slasher fare has ever been, and that was a small disappointment. I would've liked to have seen more cleverness in the cabin, not just outside it.

The movie didn't fully come alive for me until the last act, and although I got a kick out of it, it too was marred by a few elements that felt out-of-place and as contrived as any other standard slasher flick. The unicorn made it obnoxiously evident that the filmmakers were much more interested in gags than scares, and its silliness immediately pulled me out of any sense of mounting tension. 7/10
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Finally got to see this yesterday. Was really looking forward to it. I'd managed to avoid most spoilers and I'd dodged (but saved) a lot of the spoiler-heavy articles and Q&As that came out between now and the release of the film. So glad I did.

Loved it; lots of fun. I agree with Deadite that it wasn't particularly scary, but I was okay with that, because the concept's great, the movie itself is very funny, and as has been said, the third act is just insanely fun. I love movies that dare to build to that sort of craziness.

Yeah same for me, I liked it also. The main reason critics liked it was for having a 'fairly original idea' and being 'able to make fun of all the genre's cliches' all at once, either one alone would've made it far less kindly received. 3/4

that's what she said...
I'm going to watch it again tonight because my first time watching it... I wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'm overlooking it-or I could have been PMSing that day. I'll give it another shot but from what I recall-it was so stupid that it wasn't even funny OR scary.

If anyone has the chance they should watch the Making of Cabin in the Woods on Blu Ray. Pretty interesting stuff and you get to see a little about how all the monsters are made. There is also an extra on just the make-up and effects I believe.

As a couple of you mentioned, the way that this movie went from laughs to scares so quickly is seriously unparallelled. Scream was sort of similar, but in my opinion this movie is funnier than Scream. I thought Cabin in the Woods had it's fair share of really scary moments as well, though they normally came pretty fast.

There are certain things about this movie that just really screams creativity though. Having 100 monsters and basically having a back story on every one of them. Every single thing that was placed in the cellar was placed there but the director Drew Goddard. Every single thing that was in there was in there activate one of the monsters. When Drew needed Joss to write a diary about the Buckner family, Joss came up with a whole back story on the Buckners. In my opinion the Buckner family had some seriously scary moments and were very interesting between the way they decapitated Jules, or just their little torture chamber where they would torture each other. All derived of course but that is the point. This movie does what every remake has been trying to do times a million. It made me feel like I was watching all my favorite horror movies ever, but twisted in with an original idea. I am just a huge fan of this style horror. Tales from the Crypt style zombies coming out of the ground. Almost no CGI for a ton of the monsters which is also a HUGE plus.

Everything in the control room was written flawlessly. Absolutely hilarious and of course those guys were a metaphor for the type of people that spend each day working on weapons of mass destruction, and just go about their business as casually as a regular 9-5 worker.

Oh and every one of the actors was really good. That is another thing that separates this film. The stoner tells Jules to go kiss the werewolf and it turns out to be a really really cool scene. Chris Helmsworth was just perfect as were the others who were cast. Then of course the casting of Brad Whitford and his buddy in the control room was just great.

Campy Horror has always been my favorite. It has almost disappeared over the years. Scream is campy, Grindhouse was campy, but as far as the mainstream horror goes, these days it is all too serious. Cabin in the Woods brought it all back for me.

If anyone has the chance they should watch the Making of Cabin in the Woods on Blu Ray. Pretty interesting stuff and you get to see a little about how all the monsters are made. There is also an extra on just the make-up and effects I believe.

As a couple of you mentioned, the way that this movie went from laughs to scares so quickly is seriously unparallelled. Scream was sort of similar, but in my opinion this movie is funnier than Scream. I thought Cabin in the Woods had it's fair share of really scary moments as well, though they normally came pretty fast.

There are certain things about this movie that just really screams creativity though. Having 100 monsters and basically having a back story on every one of them. Every single thing that was placed in the cellar was placed there but the director Drew Goddard. Every single thing that was in there was in there activate one of the monsters. When Drew needed Joss to write a diary about the Buckner family, Joss came up with a whole back story on the Buckners. In my opinion the Buckner family had some seriously scary moments and were very interesting between the way they decapitated Jules, or just their little torture chamber where they would torture each other. All derived of course but that is the point. This movie does what every remake has been trying to do times a million. It made me feel like I was watching all my favorite horror movies ever, but twisted in with an original idea. I am just a huge fan of this style horror. Tales from the Crypt style zombies coming out of the ground. Almost no CGI for a ton of the monsters which is also a HUGE plus.

Everything in the control room was written flawlessly. Absolutely hilarious and of course those guys were a metaphor for the type of people that spend each day working on weapons of mass destruction, and just go about their business as casually as a regular 9-5 worker.

Oh and every one of the actors was really good. That is another thing that separates this film. The stoner tells Jules to go kiss the werewolf and it turns out to be a really really cool scene. Chris Helmsworth was just perfect as were the others who were cast. Then of course the casting of Brad Whitford and his buddy in the control room was just great.

Campy Horror has always been my favorite. It has almost disappeared over the years. Scream is campy, Grindhouse was campy, but as far as the mainstream horror goes, these days it is all too serious. Cabin in the Woods brought it all back for me.
Great review there Explorer!

I loooved Cabin In The Woods and found it to be one of the most original films in quite a while. Funny, silly and clever too. It reminded me of Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil...but much better.

I personally don't understand the hate towards it.

A lot of the top reviews on imdb give it a 3 or a 1 out of 10.

SHOCKING!!!
Just took a quick look, the reasons are pretty hilarious:

"why did that eagle have to hit the invisible boundary to the cabin? It made the later scene with the motor bike jump completely redundant"

"but if it is a parody than that wouldn't make sense"

"All in all, the whole thing is about as clever, funny and scary as a fart joke. Some have surmised that the story is actually a kind of metaphor for the horror film industry, or horror fans expectations or whatever. If that's the case then The Cabin in the Woods isn't just lame, it's insufferably pretentious"

"The official trailer for this movie should actually be considered a teaser trailer, since it only contains 1/4th of what the movie is really about"

"It starts off OK as any cabin in the woods movie would. But it goes somewhere incomprehensible shortly thereafter. Whatever unfolds is without explanation"

Holy crap how far it went over their heads

On the first comment, SPOILER - I think it would have been an excellent surprise to not have seen the eagle bit right at the start and not known about the boundary and then had it happen at the motorcycle jump sequence first. Would have been a classic shock/jump sequence. You are waiting to see if he makes it or doesn't make it enough and falls down but instead smashes into an invisible wall. - SPOILER END

But yes, some rather odd comments.

On the first comment, I think it would have been an excellent surprise to not have seen the eagle bit right at the start and not known about the boundary and then had it happen at the motorcycle jump sequence first. Would have been a classic shock/jump sequence. You are waiting to see if he makes it or doesn't make it enough and falls down but instead smashes into an invisible wall.
I just thought it was funny how they built the whole scene up in a way that you totally forgot about the boundary and then mid-air you remember "he's f*cked" and then you see it happen. Pretty hilarious if you ask me.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm mixed on that issue. Sure it would have been a nice surprise, but I like how they think they have a chance but the audience knows they are doomed and the build up is a joke in itself.

I'm guessing the ones who wanted a typical slasher got all bitter. How much more insulted would the humorless blockheads have been if they'd realized they too were being mocked right along with those stale horror conventions?

I'm guessing the ones who wanted a typical slasher got all bitter. How much more insulted would the humorless blockheads have been if they'd realized they too were being mocked right along with those stale horror conventions?
The smaller amount of people in on the joke makes the joke all the better