Metaphysical paradox

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by rufnek
Why is it, I wonder, that atheists seem always to come from a Christian background and complain about the Christian faith? I mean, have you ever heard of athiests demanding that the statue of Buddah be removed from the corner Chinese cafeteria?
I think living in a predominantly Christian country might account for a lot of that

I think living in a predominantly Christian country might account for a lot of that
Here, yes, but what about other parts of the world? Are there homegrown atheists trying to put down Buddahism or the Muslim religion in Asia? Or is it only members of different religions that try to kill each other overseas? Is there the equivalent to our concept of atheist within other religions of the world? Or is it limited to Christianity?

Even in this country, atheists limit their animosity to Christian symbols and doctrines. Yet the Hebrew and Muslim faiths worship the same God and spring from the same roots. Are atheists upset as much by those two faiths? Or are they simply hoping to put down Christianity first before moving on to other faiths?

Originally Posted by rufnek
Here, yes, but what about other parts of the world? Are there homegrown atheists trying to put down Buddahism or the Muslim religion in Asia? Or is it only members of different religions that try to kill each other overseas? Is there the equivalent to our concept of atheist within other religions of the world?...
Within other religions? Probably not, but I get your point

My experience with international students suggests atheism or agnosticism are present most places to varying degrees, but some social set-ups dissuade people from shouting about it. I certainly wouldn't say it's a 'Christian only' phenomenon anyway.

There's some evidence that nations are more religious if they are poor and politically corrupt. I would suggest that under such circumstances people are more circumspect about going against the societal norm, for various reasons (and hence aren’t going to shout about any atheistic feelings they may have). Be the country Christian or whatever.

Originally Posted by ruf
Even in this country, atheists limit their animosity to Christian symbols and doctrines. Yet the Hebrew and Muslim faiths worship the same God and spring from the same roots. Are atheists upset as much by those two faiths? Or are they simply hoping to put down Christianity first before moving on to other faiths?
I'm UK-based, so I can only speak to that. I'd say any focus here on criticising Christianity is due to it traditionally being the predominant religion (even if in a very reduced form these days). Religious views are most likely to be couched in Christian language (& any Church power/privilege is mainly in Church of England hands etc). It has an ‘overdog’ status that makes it the most prominent, easiest and ‘fairest’ game etc.

Speaking for my self though, as a mainly-atheistic man, I'm happy enough to criticise nigh on any aspect of any religion i think is daft In the nicest possible way tho

The King of Movies
It has just hit me right now (well before when i was watching Family Guy actually) that it makes no sense what so ever to believe in religions.

Like i was thinking, how on earth to people actually believe such un-proven and unbelievable stories?

Like if i told some one that aliens were coming after me and were going to go 1996 blockbuster action movie Independence Day on our asses, they would ask me why i'm not taking schizophrenic medication, but stories that were written thousands of years ago which tell extremely unbelievable stories, that are totaly rediculouse and unproven seem to be accepted as common knowledge.

How can a normal intelligent human being actually believe things like a giant god in the sky created earth or be completely oblivious to the blatant contradictions the bible makes?

Like i simply do not understand it? Am i missing something? Did i miss out on talking to Jesus before i came down to Earth? Because unless i did, then it actualy makes no sense at all.

Hopefully people will start to see that all most all religions make no sense what so ever.

But hey, believe in what you want. Just next time you pray to god, ask your self if what you are doing is actually logical.

It has just hit me right now (well before when i was watching Family Guy actually) that it makes no sense what so ever to believe in religions.

Like i was thinking, how on earth to people actually believe such un-proven and unbelievable stories?

Like if i told some one that aliens were coming after me and were going to go 1996 blockbuster action movie Independence Day on our asses, they would ask me why i'm not taking schizophrenic medication, but stories that were written thousands of years ago which tell extremely unbelievable stories, that are totaly rediculouse and unproven seem to be accepted as common knowledge.

How can a normal intelligent human being actually believe things like a giant god in the sky created earth or be completely oblivious to the blatant contradictions the bible makes?

Like i simply do not understand it? Am i missing something? Did i miss out on talking to Jesus before i came down to Earth? Because unless i did, then it actualy makes no sense at all.

Hopefully people will start to see that all most all religions make no sense what so ever.

But hey, believe in what you want. Just next time you pray to god, ask your self if what you are doing is actually logical.
Yes, I do think you're missing something.

This entire thread has been discussing these very questions in great logical detail. There's an entire branch of philosophy called theology dedicated to analyzing the ideas. I would suggest you expose yourself to some of it if you're genuinely interested, though it doesn't really sound like you are, as your questions are obviously rhetorical. Nevertheless, if you decide you actually want to know what sort of logical thought process can lead one to become religious, I can recommend a number of books and/or authors, some of which are a very quick and straightforward read. Namely C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, which is one big giant syllogism from start to finish.

Most believers don't need to be reminded to doubt things and ask questions. I've lost track of the number of hours I've spent wondering about it to myself, reading books on the subject, or having my beliefs directly challenged on a regular basis on this very site (and others). I don't need to be reminded to think critically about my core beliefs, and I don't think most other people do, either.

Yeah, i was stretching my own hypothesis too far there . Reckon the disease/disability fallout from natural disasters is still a potential 'free will' problem though, if possibly only on a level of 'scale' (IE the limited options & increased torment thing).
Yeah, at some point we get into some pretty murky territory. On one hand you technically have free will even if you only have one sensible option, but on the other, what good is it? For purposes of these discussions I'm usually using the term in a very technical sense, which means it consists only of the person's own ability to decide, and not their circumstances.

There's a difference between not knowing the exact root cause of an inherited or novel infirmity & suggesting human causation or influence as a strong candidate. Introducing ethical dimensions makes it a bigger leap still.
They're merely hypotheticals, though; I'm not suggesting we can prove it, or that it's necessarily true. But if we have no idea what causes something, I don't think we can exactly use it to invalidate the idea of a benevolent God. That's rather like the skeptic's version of the old trope about people invoking God to explain what they can't understand...invoking the absence of God to "explain" unexplained forms of suffering.

It never ceases to amuse me that believers and skeptics so often fall into the same sorts of logical traps if you go far enough in either direction. Sort of like every political ideology resulting in facism if taken to its extreme.

We can rule-out human-only causation in certain senses after all. Many variants of cancer, for example, seem to pre-date humanity, & many inherited diseases seem to be preserved because the normal gene serves some important evolutionary purpose. No human action, ethical or otherwise, could have influenced these changes back in the day.

I grant you that we might now be modulating these 'pre human' conditions, but establishing to what extent, even in highly-studied fields like cancer, is wrought with difficulties. Certainly the existence of genetic propensity for certain cancers suggests a strong 'nature' component regardless of societal influences (altho i am very strongly in the 'nature-via-nurture' camp, so i'm not saying it's impossible that human actions might influence all known diseases & infirmities. It's just that the evidence for infirmities in particular suggests strong 'deep time' nature factors being predominant).

And all of this still begs the question, why in many cases is the child suffering for the flaws of the parent or grandparent etc - or indeed for the 'environmental' actions of others? It all fits with the tough-love idea, & the 'inscrutability' aspect contained therein, it just seems harsh to a non-believer. Having settled on this idea of Godly benevolence not necessarily tallying with our human perception of it, i'm happy enough to let the suffering go (within this argument ). The 'inscrutable good' angle is a rather stonkingly huge get-out clause when it comes to examining good & bad in 'nature' & human actions though, it seems worth pointing out.
Perfectly fair point, though the convenience is somewhat mitigated by it being inherent in the whole idea. That is to say, if God exists, it stands to reason that some things are going to be difficult to get our heads around. This may be convenient, but there's no conception of God that wouldn't include it, either.

I wonder how sin factors in, as well. Most of us are pretty easy on ourselves when we do something wrong, particularly when we make mistakes that everyone makes at one time or another. If everyone loses their temper or tells a little white lie, it almost seems to let us off the hook. It's as if there's an unspoken rule that, if enough people make a mistake, nobody has to feel bad about it. Maybe sin is a bigger deal than we always realize. I believe it's a real, important thing, and I still fall prey to the kind of examples above. Just something to ponder.

This discussion has raised some new thoughts that I haven't much considered before about just what a benevolent God would really do. Most of us assume, conciously or otherwise, that a benevolent God would minimize suffering, at least insofar as it did not invalidate people's choices, but the more I think about it the more I feel otherwise. Not just in a "tough love" sense, but in a larger sense, as well. It's a bit hard to put into words, probably because it's not something I've thought much about yet.

I agree with that angle, just not the bit about 'absence of superpowers also being a potential critique of god'. The critique of deficits from the observable 'norm' seems fine on its own as an 'agnostic' attack on 'natural evil'. Extending it into the fanciful feels like 'reification' more than a justifiable expansion of the argument.
You may be right, but I'd like to hear more. For the sake of argument: why wouldn't it work in both directions? Our conceptions about what are "normal" are understandable, but if we're talking about a God of limitless power, why can't we ask why our ceilings and abilities aren't higher? Presumably, He could have allowed us all to fly or heal quicker or make everyone an inch taller on average. If these things would increase our comfort or prosperity, is there any reason we shouldn't expect them from a benevolent God?

Why is it, I wonder, that atheists seem always to come from a Christian background and complain about the Christian faith? I mean, have you ever heard of athiests demanding that the statue of Buddah be removed from the corner Chinese cafeteria?
Leaving aside your discussion with Golgot about why this might be, I have noticed a somewhat related phenomena, wherein atheists seem inordinately upset with the idea of religion. I can understand why someone who believes in God would be extremely engrossed with the idea, and desperate to spread the word. That's internally consistent. What I don't understand is why people would choose email addresses like "godless76" or feel the need to proclaim their lack of belief so forcefully. When disbelief manifests itself this way, it seems almost pathological. Many seem to dislike religion in a way that necessitates a strong emotional repulsion, and not just a clean, earnest disagreement. As Heywood Broun once said, "nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God."

Originally Posted by Yoda
They're merely hypotheticals, though; I'm not suggesting we can prove it, or that it's necessarily true. But if we have no idea what causes something, I don't think we can exactly use it to invalidate the idea of a benevolent God. That's rather like the skeptic's version of the old trope about people invoking God to explain what they can't understand...invoking the absence of God to "explain" unexplained forms of suffering.
Yeah my bad, i went off into some 'talking aloud' theorising about how it might work - the idea of human influence on all diseases/infirmities (no matter how tangental) had never occurred to me. Wasn't meaning to suggest the absence of proof undermined the idea.

I think 'unexplained forms of suffering' seems a broad term there though. Are you talking about all diseases etc (& the absence of a complete cause & effect breakdown of their nature)? We've got a handle on some key elements at play in large numbers of diseases & infirmities etc - so 'partially understood' might be a better term

Originally Posted by Yods
Perfectly fair point, though the convenience is somewhat mitigated by it being inherent in the whole idea. That is to say, if God exists, it stands to reason that some things are going to be difficult to get our heads around. This may be convenient, but there's no conception of God that wouldn't include it, either.
Ay, seems true enough. The issue for a believer though, i would think, is in gauging best action. The picture of an ineffably benevolent God we're painting here suggests a fairly chaotic connection between moral actions and 'moral results'. Even with the guidance of a text like the Bible, the pursuit of apparently good actions could lead to suffering etc in others, if performed slightly at odds with the desires of this indefatigable creator. (Or perhaps even if in line with them, if I'm understanding your new take on the 'suffering promoting' aspects of God).

Let's describe a real life example just to ground it though. Say you don't 'pass by on the other side' when seeing someone in distress, aid them, but in handing them some form of help accidentally transfer swine flu to them, which in their weakened state kills them. Their kids survive but contract the flesh-eating MRSA bug in hospital from a kindly volunteer who, despite having washed her hands, was innocently carrying a tolerant strain in her nose and wiped her hand against it without thinking. Etc etc etc.

Would you feel you had done good in that circumstance? Done God's work?

You seem to be building up to the suggestion that you might have done. I am intrigued

Of course the problem for me here is that, although I've got no prob with the idea of a creator existing (the world lends itself to the idea in many ways), you're going to have to employ a 'perfect heaven' I suspect, to bring some of the 'traditional benevolence' back to the table. And you're also going to fall back on the broad 'God knows best' aspect too of course. Nothing wrong there from a theological perspective, it's just where the 'paradigm' clash really grinds for someone like me (given the true scantiness of 'a posteriori' backing for those realms of belief).

This discussion has raised some new thoughts that I haven't much considered before about just what a benevolent God would really do. Most of us assume, conciously or otherwise, that a benevolent God would minimize suffering, at least insofar as it did not invalidate people's choices, but the more I think about it the more I feel otherwise. Not just in a "tough love" sense, but in a larger sense, as well. It's a bit hard to put into words, probably because it's not something I've thought much about yet.
With the 'increasing suffering' angle i can see where you might go. Lessons learned, 'beneficial' character building, testing of faith etc. (although I still question somewhat why a benevolent God wouldn't just zap us into ecstasy, say, rather than employ this whole free will facade, involving torment to the extent that it does. The fact that he hasn't leaves you believers in the position of having to assume that all of this is part of the benevolence, prior to any other recourse to logic)

You may be right, but I'd like to hear more. For the sake of argument: why wouldn't it work in both directions? Our conceptions about what are "normal" are understandable, but if we're talking about a God of limitless power, why can't we ask why our ceilings and abilities aren't higher? Presumably, He could have allowed us all to fly or heal quicker or make everyone an inch taller on average. If these things would increase our comfort or prosperity, is there any reason we shouldn't expect them from a benevolent God?
My bad again. I'd strayed from the theological framing again . Sure, the absence of perfection could be viewed as a critique of the traditional benevolent God.

(My 'paradigm' kinda stops just at the principle that a creator could exist, based on observables, so i don't usually consider qualifiers like 'infinite power' etc. Have to keep reminding myself. I stayed on topic by using the 'ecstacy zap' question above though )

Just next time you pray to god, ask your self if what you are doing is actually logical.
Next time you type out an attack on a god you know doesn't exist, ask yourself if wasting that time is actually logical.

In the words of the great philosopher Epicurus in 2000 Years of Disbelief
"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?"

And to answer the people who say it is free-will that evil is allowed to exist, I say to you true, free-will would allow all the disasters and horrific acts caused by man, but what about natural disasters, natural diseases, and (to some extent) animals, who many people believe don't have souls, and therefore don't have free-will, etc.

In the words of the great philosopher Epicurus in 2000 Years of Disbelief
"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?"
Aye, I've heard that quote. And as you observe, it doesn't address the idea of free will; which is an indispensable part of the debate. So, let's use Epicurus' phrasing back towards him: either Epicurus is unaware of the idea, and therefore hasn't thought about the issue much, or else he deliberately omitted it, and is engaging in knowing demagoguery.

And to answer the people who say it is free-will that evil is allowed to exist, I say to you true, free-will would allow all the disasters and horrific acts caused by man, but what about natural disasters, natural diseases, and (to some extent) animals, who many people believe don't have souls, and therefore don't have free-will, etc.
We've been delving into these exact questions all thread. I realize it's a lot to comb through, but there it is.

I dig that not everyone wants to spend quite so much time debating abstract things as silly people like myself, or Gol (), and forgive my irritability, but this is maybe the third time someone's dropped into the middle of a discussion to try to make a point which is already under dispute or discussion of some kind, and always with the insinuation that they're blowing the doors of religion wide open or something.

As Heywood Broun once said, "nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God."
Broun hit the nail on the head there!

The thing I notice most in debates like this is believers and non-believers both are limited by some common assumptions and images, especially when detractors point out the lack of miracles and angels and answers to prayers and such in real life.

All of us have seen copies of that painting of a shining angel with yellow hair, and wings and halo, hovering near two toddlers crossing an old rope bridge over a deep gorge. Whatever one's belief or dis-belief, that's our common image of an angel--a being in human form but with wings, helping us, sometimes through miracles. Even in Michael, a very unangel-like John Travolta had wings.

But who can say how an angel would look, if they exist? Say you're alone in a car with a flat tire on the side of a seldom-traveled road on a dark and rainy night with a bad back and no jack. Suddenly a motorist approaches, stops, and changes your tire. No wings, but like an angel, he responds to a prayer (or maybe hope, certainly unspoken) for help. Could it be, is it possible that "angels" are really just us stopping to help others, going out of their way to comfort the afflicted, helping strangers or even loved ones every day in millions of ways?

As for miracles, how about something like the vaccines that have essentially ended the horrors of whooping cough, measles, polio and other diseases that have killed and crippled children and adults for years. We take them for granted now, but does that make them any less miraculous, compared with what people had to suffer before those medicines were developed. And if God exists, couldn't He use humans as means of performing miracles? No one says miracles come instantly in a flash of fire and smoke. Maybe they come slowly through years of study and experimentation.

Atheists say that if one prays and that prayer is not answered, that's proof God doesn't exist. But that ignores other possibilities. Perhaps the answer to that prayer was simply, "No"?

I have my opinions on these subjects, but I don't know enough to claim the other guy's opposing theory is wrong.

A system of cells interlinked
Wait- I know exactly what angels look like!

That said, I need to re-post one of the wiser things I have ever seen posted on this site!

I have my opinions on these subjects, but I don't know enough to claim the other guy's opposing theory is wrong.

My life isn't written very well.
I've found that in the grand scope of things there really isn't that much evil in the world. Perhaps through history there can be noted a few prime examples of evil, but just a few along the timeline. The world is not an evil place and its inhabitants are trying to do good things. It is primarily a good world and people do good things, or what they believe to be good things with a sprinkling of what could be perceived as evil.

Computers may take over the world one day, in fact they already have--how would you feel if all of the computers shut down all over the world? are computers evil? Is yours? Well they started out being helpful and good.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Aye, I've heard that quote. And as you observe, it doesn't address the idea of free will; which is an indispensable part of the debate. So, let's use Epicurus' phrasing back towards him: either Epicurus is unaware of the idea, and therefore hasn't thought about the issue much, or else he deliberately omitted it, and is engaging in knowing demagoguery.
Don't forget when Epicurus was around. ~320 BC. Times were different back then and they had a much different way of thinking critically. Epicurus (I believe) had a belief in free-will and also believed in God(s) and yet he comes out with this argument that "disproves" God's existence while at the same time not including a key facet of the argument he himself believes in. Why? I don't know... Maybe he had too much wine one night and went into a drunken rant, while one of his followers thought he was speaking the complete truth ... or maybe not

We've been delving into these exact questions all thread. I realize it's a lot to comb through, but there it is.

I dig that not everyone wants to spend quite so much time debating abstract things as silly people like myself, or Gol (), and forgive my irritability, but this is maybe the third time someone's dropped into the middle of a discussion to try to make a point which is already under dispute or discussion of some kind, and always with the insinuation that they're blowing the doors of religion wide open or something.

I realized that and I apologize. I simply read the first couple and last couple of posts so i figured I had a handle on it enough to comment. (I've been busy with work so I haven't been around much or anything)
I realize what I said isn't new, and I didn't post it as an end all be all response, hoping I'd receive praise. I just thought to add my own personal beliefs as a way to 'enter' myself into this thread. Metaphysics is a
part of philosophy, which is my major so I felt like I should get involved
Now I'm probably going to go and read the rest of the thread

Yikes, I wasn't expecting an apology or anything. And I realize you probably didn't intend much by it. This kinda happens in every debate; people want to weigh in, but understandably don't want to read through three pages of dense theological speculation.

Didn't know you were majoring in metaphysics. Very interesting. How has that influenced your beliefs (if it has)?

You ready? You look ready.
I've given the past page and a half a look over (along with the first post) and I'm assuming the main point of this discussion is the existence of evil? Or am I off base?

God, why are all the responses so damn long?!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The King of Movies
Next time you type out an attack on a god you know doesn't exist, ask yourself if wasting that time is actually logical.
Why is that wasting time? I'm just asking people to question stuff. Thats pretty logical.

And my post wasn't really an "attack".

Originally Posted by John McClane
I've given the past page and a half a look over (along with the first post) and I'm assuming the main point of this discussion is the existence of evil? Or am I off base?

God, why are all the responses so damn long?!
Me and Yods are still knocking around ideas similar to those on the first page - could 'evil' in the world still be part of a 'benevolent' design. Within a purely theological context, it seems like you could make a case for it (by relying fairly heavily on the principle that God is pretty inscrutable, but there you go ). I think Yods is also going to draw on real life principles of suffering creating benefits too etc.

The most intriguing wrinkle for me so far has been the realisation that even free-will limitation via disease/suffering etc doesn't actually challenge the concept of theological free will. I've always gone along with the principle that natural events over which we have no control must by their very nature undermine that idea, but it seems it still holds good. IE even if your scope for action is limited by an inherited infirmity etc, choices still exist. (Although it's just occurred to me that extreme coma cases, where even thought decisions may be negated, does still provide a challenge.)

And that's why the posts are so long. New ideas and variants keep popping up