Wooley's Halfway To Halloween III

Tools    

The lecturing stuff doesn't always work, but it's also very much those elements that I find make it feel like it is something different. No, not entirely 'unique', but they give it a lilt, an accent, that feels like its own thing.
Gotcha. To me, they felt very much in the familiar lane of "Now a man in a jacket will explain everything!".

But I'll admit that I just wanted more creepy walks around the lake and weird bird stuff.

I had a much more positive experience watching it. Because those issues don't define the experience of watching it for me. And, I was putting that out there for anyone who gets enjoyment out of films in a similar way to me, that these critical problems don't infringe all that much on its pleasures.
No, I get what you were saying now.

Depending on your preferences, there is a lot to like in Lake of the Dead.

And Captain Terror liked Bokeh so, you know . . .

WARNING: spoilers below
Bokeh was fine. It was fine. Fine.

And Captain Terror liked Bokeh so, you know . . .

WARNING: spoilers below
Bokeh was fine. It was fine. Fine.
Full disclosure: I wrote and directed Bokeh.

But seriously, have you seen my Letterboxd page? I feel like there's so much worse I could be roasted for. There's two (as in plural) Bigfoot documentaries on my 5-star list.

Victim of The Night
Everyone who watches movies criticizes them. Everyone who watches movies have ideas of how they'd want to make a movie better. I'm not saying that should end. I'm not saying you shouldn't do that. I'm not saying I don't.

But, there is also a fall out from these kinds of things. I don't think there is anything more poisonous to enthusiasm than a lukewarm recommendation. And that's the only reason I got into the conversation, specifically because I saw Captain Terror talking about his diminishing interest in the movie. I was only trying to re-route the criticisms towards the point about it still having a lot to offer when it does work. And that if we don't worry about the padded scenes full of conversation, or not entirely satisfying revelations, that there are still things here to be excited about. Because there is and its easier to articulate this to someone else without attaching a big fat 'but....' to qualify appreciation.
Gotcha.
Well, like I say, I was still recommending the movie for the charms it does offer, it was just a softer rec than I would give to some of these other films that work more completely.

Victim of The Night

But I'll admit that I just wanted more creepy walks around the lake and weird bird stuff.

Gotcha. To me, they felt very much in the familiar lane of "Now a man in a jacket will explain everything!".

But I'll admit that I just wanted more creepy walks around the lake and weird bird stuff

It probably does come off like that at times, but other times it felt like a low rent Bergman chamber piece. And I was rarely bored during those moments even if they weren't the best.

But I think alot of this acceptance of these scenes comes from the way I've watched film for a lot of years now. My brain has kind of fused the experience of listening to music to how a film unfolds. I find a rhythm can develop from moments of action rising from stretches of inertness. Some films manage a more compelling back and forth between the two. Some manage to make scenes that have gone into neutral, fit the overall ebb and flow of the films tone. It of course doesn't absolve these moments if they don't always aid the story, or break the mood, or temper expectations. Criticisms can obviously still be made if they pull others out of the experience. But in the case if this film, I found they drew me in more than pushed me away.

Victim of The Night
That's also the gist of my dating profiles. Think that's why I'm not having much luck?
I don't know how you're not killing it.

I don't know how you're not killing it.
That is really nice of you to say.

The two main issues are actually:

1) I have not put a ton of effort in, because this year has left me emotionally exhausted.

2) For reasons I don't understand, dating algorithms match me almost exclusively with either very religious, very conservative law-enforcement types whose profiles say things like "I am looking for a good woman who will put God first as we build a family", or very religious, very conservative "managers" (what/who are these people all managing?!) who are 5-10 years my senior and can't spell. I know that sounds petty, but "How are you today sweat heart?" is a real mood killer. The women are more well-spoken and better matches personality wise, but they are super thin on the ground and often live an hour or more from me.

On the other hand, my friend group (both local and general) has really expanded over the last year, so that's been nice.

Rock can probably direct you to the weird bird stuff
You know what they say: all the good ones are gay or don't like weird bird stuff. *shakes head*

But would he take a creepy walk by a haunted lake?

Don't answer, I already know. *sigh*

Let me introduce you to my other friend. He's great with kids.

Let me introduce you to my other friend. He's great with kids.

Is the ceiling too low? Is the chicken too big? What is happening here?

See, this is why I'm not dating. It's all upsetting.

EDIT: And all of their forks are glued to the wall behind the baby? I can't even.

(Apparently I need to look for a new cut of On the Silver Globe, because the quality of that youtube clip kicks the shit out the DVD I have).

ETA: Apparently a 4K transfer exists (and I think I saw it years ago at a theater), but it's still never been released for sale. Bleh.

Victim of The Night
That is really nice of you to say.

The two main issues are actually:

1) I have not put a ton of effort in, because this year has left me emotionally exhausted.

2) For reasons I don't understand, dating algorithms match me almost exclusively with either very religious, very conservative law-enforcement types whose profiles say things like "I am looking for a good woman who will put God first as we build a family", or very religious, very conservative "managers" (what/who are these people all managing?!) who are 5-10 years my senior and can't spell. I know that sounds petty, but "How are you today sweat heart?" is a real mood killer. The women are more well-spoken and better matches personality wise, but they are super thin on the ground and often live an hour or more from me.

On the other hand, my friend group (both local and general) has really expanded over the last year, so that's been nice.

You know what they say: all the good ones are gay or don't like weird bird stuff. *shakes head*
Yeah, but I mean, everybody's gotta falling head over heels for more creepy walks around the lake.

I actually can't believe I just saw this.
The movie's not bad, if you share my fondness for well paced '90s action thrillers with good casts. TLJ, Wesley Snipes, Robert Downey Jr., and for some reason, Irene Jacob.

EDIT: And all of their forks are glued to the wall behind the baby? I can't even.
It's for easy access.

Also, I like that the chicken has raccoon eyes. Makes it easier to see in the dark, the natural environment of the spring chicken.

The movie's not bad, if you share my fondness for well paced '90s action thrillers with good casts. TLJ, Wesley Snipes, Robert Downey Jr., and for some reason, Irene Jacob.
I have a nostalgic fondness for US Marshalls. We rented it from the video store a lot when I was a teenager.

Yeah, but I mean, everybody's gotta falling head over heels for more creepy walks around the lake.
They're all "scared of getting murdered" and "what lake?" and "Why is most of your profile about theories of sibling telepathy?".

Victim of The Night
So, crumbsroom, given our recent discussion of all it takes to make an oddball movie worth your time, how do you feel about Shock Treatment?