The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I demand a recount. I see no Old School in this countdown.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

My embarrassingly terrible list that I made in about ten minutes.
I know I'm, pretty much, alone in this, but I think if you've made a list in about 10 minutes, then thought about it for an hour (or whatever) and the vast majority of that list isn't the same, I question whether or not they're favourites.

Very late I know, but congrats to Theif for their excellent hosting and presentation. As well as the rest of you for making a terrible decades films into a countdown which, for the most part, held my interest and I enjoyed following.

I know how that sounds, but for those of you who know me, you'll know how much I really don't like this decade and therefore, it's well earned praise.

The film is a little drawn out, and it strains credulity. But I too am a Giamatti fan. It's worth a watch. The picture had a good ending, which is a little rare these days.
I'm a huge Alexander Payne fan and put "Sideways" at number two on the list.

1. The Descendents
2. Sideways
3. Election
4. Nebraska
5. About Schmidt
6. Citizen Ruth
7. Downsizing (only one of his I didn't care for. Should give it a rewatch )

I know I'm, pretty much, alone in this, but I think if you've made a list in about 10 minutes, then thought about it for an hour (or whatever) and the vast majority of that list isn't the same, I question whether or not they're favourites.
What I have in my list are definitely favorites. And I don't think any of them are undeserving of being in my top 25. My main issue with it was that I kind of grabbed at some of the more obvious picks that I could remember. I would have preferred a few more odd ducklings amongst my selections as I don't think my list was really that reflective of my overall taste. Because I really like a lot of dumb stuff, and there is little evidence of that here.

Thanks. I'm interested in all of them, so I'm sure I'll get to all of them at some point. Even though I'm not into wine at all, what draws me to this one is the cast and crew. I always like Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church, and Alexander Payne is usually interesting, so yeah.

Well wine is more of a metaphor in this movie. Life is like a fine bottle of wine. No wine knowledge required.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My embarrassingly terrible list that I made in about ten minutes.
What I have in my list are definitely favorites. And I don't think any of them are undeserving of being in my top 25. My main issue with it was that I kind of grabbed at some of the more obvious picks that I could remember. I would have preferred a few more odd ducklings amongst my selections as I don't think my list was really that reflective of my overall taste. Because I really like a lot of dumb stuff, and there is little evidence of that here.

Why were you in such a rush to make your list? Did you procrastinate until the last day to submit it, or did you just want to submit it fast and move on to other things?

Why were you in such a rush to make your list? Did you procrastinate until the last day to submit it, or did you just want to submit it fast and move on to other things?

I only like making lists quickly and with as little thought as possible. Usually, they come out better than this one. I think I just haven't seen enough movies from this decade for me to be able to completely wing an interesting top 25.

I only like making lists quickly and with as little thought as possible. Usually, they come out better than this one. I think I just haven't seen enough movies from this decade for me to be able to completely wing an interesting top 25.

That's why we get three months (or more) to make our lists. That gives us time to watch more movies before making our lists.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I think this holds true for the all time countdown, where it's really just your 25 favourite movies, but for other, more niche, countdowns, your top 25 might not all be die-hard favourites, just the best of that particular genre/decade/whatever. And knowing that in ten minutes assumes either a better memory than some of us possess, or a thorough approach too keeping records of all the films you've seen. I often find that my top 10 for a list is less likely to change the more I think about it, but 11-25 might well do, especially if there are more films than the number of slots that I like approximately equally.

That's why we get three months (or more) to make our lists. That gives us time to watch more movies before making our lists.
This sounds almost like a scolding.

Sorry about that. It wasn't meant that way. I just meant that as long as we get three months to make a list, doesn't it make sense to use that time to watch (or rewatch) movies so you end up with a list that you're happy with when it's done?

Damn. Gutted I missed this but it's been absolutely ages since I went on another accidental hiatus.

My list would have been something like:

Memories of Murder
Inglourious Basterds
Werckmesiter Harmonies
Inland Empire
There Will Be Blood
Before Sunset
The Limits of Control
The Host
Gosford Park
In The Mood For Love
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Miami Vice
Hidden/Cache
Waking Life
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Mulholland Drive
Borat
Chicken Run
Munich
Mother
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Coffee and Cigarettes

That's just thrown together very quickly and roughly though.

I've seen 76/100 films on the list.

Edit: Already noticed I missed out this list's number one film, that would be in my 25. But you get the idea... most people who know me on here would know the sort of film's I'd include. I'll have a look through the list properly soon and maybe posts some thoughts.

Damn. Gutted I missed this but it's been absolutely ages since I went on another accidental hiatus.
It's great to see you here!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The truth is in here
Realized TODAY I never actually posted my list here. Thought I would show it just in time before the 2010's countdown.

1. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
2. Spirited Away (2001)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
4. Amélie (2001)
5. Spider-Man (2002)
6. Final Destination (2000)
7. One Point O (2004)
8. Donnie Darko (2001)
9. Phone Booth (2002)
10. The Ring (2002)
11. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
12. Insomnia (2002)
13. Boy A (2007)
14. Battle Royale (2000)
15. The Aviator (2004)
16. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007)
17. Snatch (2000)
18. Zozo (2005)
19. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
20. Evil (2003)
21. Coraline (2009)
22. A Very Long Engagement (2004)
23. Mr. Nobody (2009)
24. Gran Torino (2008)
25. The Simpsons Movie (2007)