The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All right! Cracking the Top Ten with my favorite Batman movie. Actually I love all three of Nolan's Batman films, but this one gets the edge. Time for a re-watch!

#3. The Dark Knight 10
#4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 15
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#15. Shaun of the Dead 20
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#20. Iron Man 83
#21. Finding Nemo 44
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw The Dark Knight in the theater when it was first released, and I rewatched it for this countdown, but it's just too dark for my taste. I like many of the superhero movies, but I'm more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan. I thought the movie was worth watching for Heath Ledger's performance, but I don't care for Christian Bale as Batman. I prefer Michael Keaton, or even the campy Adam West version of Batman over the Nolan trilogy.

Most hated never duplicated, of course I voted for The Dark Knight, my #19.
Batman Begins was in contention as well but because of TDK’s opening scene and Ledger's performance it was an easy choice.

Mofos with the most ballot similarities I’ve noticed so far; TUS, donniedarko (6), Ed (5).
And since TUS brought it up, Kung Fu Hustle is a real kick a5s and fun martial arts comedy. Could’ve easily made my ballot but I went with a more serious kick a5s martial arts flick this time.

Seen: 71/91
Ballot: 18/25

Some interesting articles about The Dark Knight...

‘The Dark Knight’: How Christopher Nolan Shows Societies Are Built on Comforting Lies

"Nolan constantly returns to his fascination with lies and how they can be both benevolent and malevolent. They’re a primal force that can delight and destroy. In Memento, we’ve seen that Leonard Shelby, a man with no short-term memory, has built his existence on lies so he can keep moving forward. In Insomnia, Will Dormer built his reputation on a lie and tries to stay ahead of his lies because he believes the end justifies the means until the truth finally catches up with him. In The Prestige, Angier and Borden are both magicians—professional liars—but the lies Angier tells himself creates a cycle of endless death whereas Borden’s lie allows for his liberation and reunification with his daughter. Lies are tools, and in The Dark Knight, they allow for self-deception not just on a personal level, but a societal level."

The Dark Knight Revisited: A Thematic, Critical and Historical Analysis

"While Batman Begins has its share of action, it is more of a character driven story, focusing on Bruce Wayne and his journey to becoming a superhero. The Dark Knight, while still a character driven story, nearly triples the action sequences and not just for the hero. The Joker has his share of the action, from robbing banks to blowing up the police precinct. The action in both films is integral to the plot as it shows that no matter the threat, Batman will always protect Gotham. The Joker and Ra’s display how Gotham is beyond saving but Batman is not fazed by this. He fights with both men because he believes that there is hope for his lost city."

A system of cells interlinked
Pan's Labyrinth at #9

414 points, 27 lists
Zodiac
Director

David Fincher, 2007

Starring

Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Edwards

I'll stick with Fincher's Zodiac as my guess for numero niner.
You're on a roll, sir!

Zodiac was my #10.

If I had voted 10 years ago, it would probably be my #1 or #2, but even though my enthusiasm for it has waned a little bit, I still think it's a masterpiece. To be fair, I haven't seen it in a good while, but it's a film that really stuck with me, especially that freakin' lake scene. But anyway, I love how the film goes beyond the mystery of the killer to explore the obsession around it and how it affects these three very different people in very different ways. Some superb performances from everybody, including the supporting cast and some excellent craftsmanship from Fincher.

As we approach to the end...

Seen: 75/92

My ballot:  

9. Zodiac (414 points) - A really well made film, as most Fincher's are, but I feel it was slightly hanging on the coattails of the better 'Memories of Murder' which came about 4 years before. Similar themes and told from the same angle. Therefore didn't make my list.

Welcome to the human race...
Zodiac was my #20. I did most of a Fincher rewatch last year but somehow missed out on Zodiac. Even so, I remain confident that it is a solid pick - I might have to rewatch it sometime soon (picked up the director's cut on Blu-Ray, which I have not seen) but even so it's as fine a work to demonstrate Fincher's methodical talents by matching him with similarly methodical source material.

David Fincher’s Zodiac was #16 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Maybe it will miss altogether. We seem to have forgotten about Mall Cop.
Forgetting about Mall Cop is a travesty. A crime. A crime that must be prosecuted.

In food court.