Best Movie In a Horror Series

Tools    

Another series I remembered and one more obscure is Xtro. I've only seen the original, it's two sequels are totally unrelated despite the title as well as having the same director back. But the original is one of the weirdest movies ever and feels like an amalgamation of every weird, nonsensical dream you've ever had in movie form. Here's a sampling of just how incredibly bizarre and WTF this movie is (fair warning these may be fairly graphic and NSFW):

I may have mentioned Children Of The Corn before. I'm way behind on that series, I think I saw up to the fourth one? I don't really remember parts 2-4 that well (though 2 was a film I watched a lot as a kid), but I own the original and quite like it. Creepy little film that even with the numerous sequels stands on it's own.

Movie Forums Extra
Wrong Turn Movies Series.

Wrong Turn Movies Series.

Only seen the original which I remember liking, but it's been so long. What about the other series listed in the original post?

Critters is another series I forgot, it's been so long since I last watched them. I can't remember if 1 or 2 was my favorite.

Seeing the recent title announcement of the (so far supposedly) final Sharknado sequel reminded me of that series. I've seen the first three Sharknado films and while not exactly good per say, they can be pretty funny to watch if you're in the right mood and know what you're in for. So far of the ones I've seen, I enjoyed the second one the most. Again, not saying it's good, but in the right state of mind can be goofy fun.

I've seen the first three Sharknado films and while not exactly good per say, they can be pretty funny to watch if you're in the right mood . . . in the right state of mind can be goofy fun.
Let me guess:

Ha, I wouldn't quite say that But if you know you're in the mood for something that'll be so ridiculous it can be fun. I enjoy a good cheesy movie once in a while, something like Troll 2.

Ha, I wouldn't quite say that But if you know you're in the mood for something that'll be so ridiculous it can be fun. I enjoy a good cheesy movie once in a while, something like Troll 2.
I get it -- I survived the '90s only by the grace of MST3k.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Friday the Thirteenth Part Two is the best one in that series for me. Sure, it's kind of a remake of the first one, just with Jason, but there's a weird sort of melancholy about that one, you don't feel like the campers actually deserved to die. They were just kids out to have fun, it's actually sad what happens to them. That's something that's missing in modern horror flicks. The victims now are always crude, trashy, and obnoxious, and you want to see them get murdered.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Friday the Thirteenth Part Two is the best one in that series for me. Sure, it's kind of a remake of the first one, just with Jason, but there's a weird sort of melancholy about that one, you don't feel like the campers actually deserved to die. They were just kids out to have fun, it's actually sad what happens to them. That's something that's missing in modern horror flicks. The victims now are always crude, trashy, and obnoxious, and you want to see them get murdered.
Agree with this being the best one. I Remember a poor guy in a wheelchair getting a machete to the head...which agrees with your comments about the victims.

I may have mentioned Jurassic Park before and believe I did. Not sure if it counts as Horror, I consider it Horror-y in a way. In any case, the original is very easily the best. The upcoming Fallen Kingdom looks to embrace the Horror and monster movie aspects more. Which is actually a concern for me because I never considered dinosaurs to be monsters and I greatly disliked how the third and fourth films portrayed them more monster-like, and hope the dinosaurs are more like real animals in this film. In any event, I look forward to it as I was sold after seeing the initial trailers.

It really was. I want to be back there now.

You have no idea how much I'd love for it to be that decade again. As a kid of that time, so many great memories. I feel so bad for kids today who missed out on that decade, truly a magical time to be a kid.

I may have mentioned Jurassic Park before and believe I did. Not sure if it counts as Horror, I consider it Horror-y in a way. In any case, the original is very easily the best. The upcoming Fallen Kingdom looks to embrace the Horror and monster movie aspects more. Which is actually a concern for me because I never considered dinosaurs to be monsters and I greatly disliked how the third and fourth films portrayed them more monster-like, and hope the dinosaurs are more like real animals in this film. In any event, I look forward to it as I was sold after seeing the initial trailers.
Yes I see the original Jurassic park as a horror too. Genuinely tense and scary moments. Very good to great film...I’m not as optimistic as you regarding the new one.

Yes I see the original Jurassic park as a horror too. Genuinely tense and scary moments. Very good to great film...I’m not as optimistic as you regarding the new one.

I see the series as a Natural Horror/Sci-Fi/Adventure/Techno-Thriller hybrid. Blends aspects of those genre into one cohesive whole. Much of a Horror fan as I am I actually dislike how the third and fourth ones veered too far into monster movie territory. Spielberg gave the first two a sense of wonder and adventure that balanced out the Horror aspects, whereas the third and fourth movies went all-out with the Horror but didn't have the science thriller or adventure aspects at all. I hated how the dinosaurs in 3 and 4 are portrayed more as evil monsters as opposed to the natural animals they were in the first two.

Fallen Kingdom I have hope for. I'm keeping my expectations modest but do hope to leave the theater pleasantly surprised come next Friday. It's hard to judge it as a whole from the bits of footage shown so far, but at the same time I'm not liking the emphasis on the new "bad" dinosaur and how it's a killing machine, and other aspects have me iffy. But I'm hopeful with a new director onboard something good was crafted from the script.

The original novel from Michael Crichton is without a doubt Horror. I've been re-reading it recently for the first time in years and forgot how horrific and graphic it gets in parts. Had the movie been more like the novel it'd be an easy NC-17 rating for sure.

Agree with all that. I was being overly simplistic in calling it a straight horror. Haven’t read the book but I am very intrigued now. Recently read Jaws which was also quite different. I will be seeing the movie in theatres (because of my partner - who loves the original) so I’ll do my best to stay even and positive haha.

The only thing I’d like to add about Jurassic Park is - yes I agree it’s all those genres. All the science fiction, all the wonder and beauty of it all builds and builds up things to the horrific finale much like a slow burning horror.