Which was better-the movie or the tv show?

Tools    

Hi there, I 'm new to this forum, but I enjoying being here. I love that so many people here have views that are both fun and thought provoking.So maybe this topic already has had a dozen threads, but anyways- I've been thinking of some tv shows that were spin-offs from a movie, and vice-versa. Usually one was better than the other, so I 'm interested in your opinions and observations. Here are a few of mine:

1-Superman The original tv series is a bit dated, but was treasured in its day. But I liked the Christopher Reeve movie series better, I think they brought power and visuals to the screen, while staying true to the characters.

2-Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore/Alice. Movie wins here. Tv show was enjoyable but didn't stand out as a sitcom, but the movie was a special gem.

3-Sex and the City- Wha' happened here? TV show was solid and there were some classic lmao scenes - I could sit through the movie but that was about it.

4-The Odd Couple- I may be in the minority here but I thought the movie VASTLY superior to the lackluster tv show. So many classic scenes: sandwiches of green or brown being "either very new cheese or very old meat"; those "moose calls" ; "now it's garbage" - classic lines in a top of the line comedy. I could watch maybe three eps of the tv show.

Hi there, I 'm new to this forum, but I enjoying being here. I love that so many people here have views that are both fun and thought provoking.So maybe this topic already has had a dozen threads, but anyways- I've been thinking of some tv shows that were spin-offs from a movie, and vice-versa. Usually one was better than the other, so I 'm interested in your opinions and observations. Here are a few of mine:
Good topic Lenslady! I don't recall a thread topic like this, at least not recently....Here's my thoughts:

M*A*S*H* the movie wasn't all that great. It had colorful characters and interesting premise but the story itself wasn't well thought out. And the racist jokes are painful to see.

The TV series was vastly superior especially after Alan Alda took over production and the show took on a moralistic quality coupled with heart felt characters that one could deeply care about.

I haven't really seen both the TV and Movie versions of the ones you listed. But I have been wanting to watch the TV series Alice. If I can find it that is.

Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) and Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (1966) are essentially reimaginings of their TV series counterparts. Peter Cushing's Dr. Who for example is a human scientist rather than the alien Doctor played by William Hartnell.

I prefer The TV stories: The Daleks (1963) and The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1964).

M*A*S*H* the movie wasn't all that great. It had colorful characters and interesting premise but the story itself wasn't well thought out. And the racist jokes are painful to see.

The TV series was vastly superior especially after Alan Alda took over production and the show took on a moralistic quality coupled with heart felt characters that one could deeply care about.
I'd go one further and say that the version of M*A*S*H without canned laughter that was shown here in the UK was massively superior.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'd go one further and say that the version of M*A*S*H without canned laughter that was shown here in the UK was massively superior.
Oh yeah I remember that but didnt it bomb because it was so sombre. it was about death if i recall and what the medics go through

Oh yeah I remember that but didnt it bomb because it was so sombre. it was about death if i recall and what the medics go through
Oh no I think it was very successful – I mean what was it, 10 seasons? I just didn't realize until they started showing it again here that the version in the US had a laughter track and I can't stand to watch it with that. It still works as a comedy without it.

Oh no I think it was very successful – I mean what was it, 10 seasons? I just didn't realize until they started showing it again here that the version in the US had a laughter track and I can't stand to watch it with that. It still works as a comedy without it.

You mean the yanks added a laughter track to that episode?
thats hideous. There was no comedy in thatepisode. Thats sacrilreligious however its spelt

You mean the yanks added a laughter track to that episode?
Yeah to the whole of the TV series as far as I know. I don't know why it was removed when it was shown here in the UK but it worked a dream.

I definitely prefer the series to the film. The cast was great, especially Alan Alda.

I like most of the Star Trek films but definitely prefer the first two TV series. I think for one thing The Original Series had far more scope and actually to me feels like it's even further into the future than the films. This is something that I think the reboot actually managed to capture as well. The problem with the Next Generation movies, largely, is what they did to Picard's character.

Yeah to the whole of the TV series as far as I know. I don't know why it was removed when it was shown here in the UK but it worked a dream.

I definitely prefer the series to the film. The cast was great, especially Alan Alda.
Yeah I love the series as well. Saw it first then didnt like the movie. I love Margaret when sheshows her human side. Thatepisde when she lost it about the little dog being run over had me bawling.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The M*A*S*H TV series was much better than the movie.

Both The Odd Couple movie and TV series were good, but the series with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall was a little bit better than the movie.

The original Star Trek TV series was much better than the recent movies.

The old Superman TV series with George Reeves was good, but the Superman movie (and Superman II) were better than the series.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but I loved the old Batman TV series with Adam West, and it was far superior to any of the Batman movies.

The Addams Family TV series was much better than the movies, however I did like Raul Julia as Gomez, but he still wasn't as good as John Astin.

My Favorite Martian is one of my favorite TV shows, but sadly the movie wasn't very good.

I didn't care much for the 21 Jump Street movie, but I liked the TV show.

Starsky and Hutch was another great TV show that didn't deserve such a terrible movie.

The Fugitive was a good TV show, but the movie was even better.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was an amazing movie, but the TV show wasn't nearly as good.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father TV show was much better than the movie.

Most people don't even know that there was a Starman TV show, but it doesn't matter because it wasn't as good as the movie anyway.

The original The Twilight Zone TV series was one of the best sci-fi shows ever, but the movie was only okay, with the exception of the last segment with John Lithgow, which was great.

The X-Files movies didn't live up to the greatness of the TV series.

The old Spiderman TV show was a joke compared to any of the movies with either Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield.

However the old The Incredible Hulk TV series with Bill Bixby was far superior to any of the Hulk movies.

And for those who remember it, the old The Green Hornet TV series was much better than the movie.

I'm sure that I forgot some, but those are the ones I remember that I've seen both the movie and the TV series.

The original The Twilight Zone TV series was one of the best sci-fi shows ever, but the movie was only okay, with the exception of the last segment with John Lithgow, which was great.
The Twilight Zone to me is far and away the best tv show ever made. There's no way any movie was going to possibly match its brilliance.

TV Shows' better than Movie

Friday Night Lights
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Hannibal
Twilight Zone
Dark Shadows
The Avengers
The X-Files
Dragnet

Push
Bates Motel
Fargo
The Simpsons
South Park:Bigger Longer Uncut
Veronica Mars

Movie's better than TV Show
Addams Family
MASH
MIST
The Fugitive
Mission Impossible
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(only the first one)
The Brady Bunch
The Naked Gun