King Kong 2005

Tools    

In Queensland, Australia this past week the annual film exhibitors conference was held showing off lots of of concept posters.

Most notably this rather "sweet" and very first ever piece of concept art for Peter Jackson's upcoming new interpretation of King Kong. Now BE AWARE, much like the NYC Licensing Show posters, much of the early concept art shown at this convention is NOT what the teaser or final poster artwork will look like - rather it's something the local distributor gathered together for the convention and ONLY for that.

* Most notably...this isn't actually supposed to be online.

Yeah Peter Jackson is supposively directing that film.

Yeah and Jack Black is in it.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Im thinking it may turn out to be pretty good but I dont know how fans are going to take it with Jack Black being in a King Kong movie. I mean I like Jack Black and all but I couldn't see him in this type of film, I know he was in the Jackle and Enemy Of The State but those were small roles usually a comic relif too

Interesting artwork, playing on the circus act aspect of the plot. The original King Kong is one of my fave films of all time and I really want this film to be good, Jackson is a great director and writes great screenplays. I think Jack Black is going to surprise everybody, people will hopefully come out saying "He's not just a wacko, the guy can actually act!".

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by Megmac
Interesting artwork, playing on the circus act aspect of the plot. The original King Kong is one of my fave films of all time and I really want this film to be good, Jackson is a great director and writes great screenplays. I think Jack Black is going to surprise everybody, people will hopefully come out saying "He's not just a wacko, the guy can actually act!".

I think they will...I mean, lets realize the fact that Jackson would not have him in such an important role, if he did not see great potential.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

i was thinking the same thing about Ashton Kutcher before i saw butterfly effect. (i realize a great number of people disagree with me here). But Black can probably pull it off- and from what i've seen- Jackson is an excellent judge of casting- and i trust that judgement. Who could not trust that sweet old hobbit?

Originally Posted by The_Elephant_Man
Im thinking it may turn out to be pretty good but I dont know how fans are going to take it with Jack Black being in a King Kong movie. I mean I like Jack Black and all but I couldn't see him in this type of film, I know he was in the Jackle and Enemy Of The State but those were small roles usually a comic relif too
One of the things I admire about Jackson is his ability to take actors that you would not expect, or to risk on an actor who he felt would play the role well. Viggo Mortenson is the perfect example of that of, he was not the first choice. But I, as well as a large amount of people feel, he is the only one who could do it.

I like Jack Black, and although I am a bit apprehensive about him being in 'Kong', I shall give the benefit of the doubt. I think he has some acting chops we are yet to see.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

There are those who call me...Tim.
I suppose this really is just a wait and see situation. Personally I think Black will be a fine choice, and Peter Jackson is more than capable of getting a good performance from his actors.

Peter Jackson.......ohhhhh yeeaahhh....

Lord of the Rings was his best work yet, but this movie is very different from his other previous works.

Starring Jack Black and Naomi Watts and the big fat CGI King Kong, who is supposedely the star of the film.

Very different for Peter Jackson! Definately. Good Luck Pete.

~Speaking to reporters Thursday at his studio in the New Zealand capital, the "Lord of The Rings" director said his first attempt to film "King Kong" was as a youngster. It involved a Super 8 camera and a cardboard model of the Empire State Building.

"It's great to be able to finally get the film made. It's a film which I've loved ever since I was a child. It really inspired me to want to become a film-maker," he said.

A screaming, vine-swinging special effects extravaganza, Jackson's "King Kong" will also be a character-driven psychological study of a monster -- and, of course, a love story.

Jackson says he will pay homage to the original, which starred Fay Wray, who died on Aug. 8 aged 96, and retain the "mystery and romance of a bygone era." However, the characters -- including Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts), Carl Denham (Jack Black) and Jack Driscoll (Adrien Brody) -- will not be carbon copies of those in the original film.

"To put modern political beliefs onto something that was made in 1933 is obviously putting a spin on it that doesn't really exist. It was a product of its time," he said.

"We're really just attempting to make a wonderful, mysterious adventure film ... it's about gorillas, it's about dinosaurs, and lost islands, and this relationship."

Watts said she accepted the part without seeing the script.

"This story is very simplistic and very human, so that's why I'm here," she said.

Jackson already had in mind Brody and Watts to play their characters, but decided on Black during the social whirl at the Academy Awards in February, when he won three Oscars for his final installment of the "Rings" trilogy, "The Return of the King."

"THAT'S STUPID"

Black said he had wanted to work on a Jackson film after seeing the "Rings" films.

"I remember thinking while I was watching The Lord of The Rings: 'man, I've got to get an audition for whatever he does next'," Black said.

"Then I thought that's just stupid. Everybody's going to want to be in his next film, better to just put it out of your mind."

"Then I got the call to come in and talk with them about 'King Kong' -- you wait your whole life to get a call like that."

Andy Serkis, who was the human model and voice of the computer-generated Gollum in two of the "Rings" movies, will do the same for the giant gorilla, as well as have a "live" role of a cook.

Black, who stars in folk-rock comedy act Tenacious D, and Brody both said they planned to play a lot of music in between filming in Wellington.

Jackson, who suffers seasickness, will use a number of land-based studio lots to film scenes, including those featuring the tramp steamer Venturer, which brings the giant ape to "civilization."

Special effects will be done by New Zealand-based Weta Digital and Weta Workshops, which won Oscars for their "Lord of the Rings" creations.

Hollywood turned down Jackson's previous "King Kong" pitch before his overwhelming success with the ambitious Rings trilogy. "The Return of the King," created Oscar history by winning all 11 categories in which it was nominated.

"King Kong" is reported to be likely to cost as much as US$130 million to make. Jackson spent $300 million making the three Rings films, which have grossed about $3 billion worldwide.~

Universal Studios is due to release "King Kong" worldwide on December 14, 2005

I think jack black willl be a fine choice....i trust jacksons judgment!!

Do you know my poetry?
I think Jackson is a great director, but re-making King Kong, in my opinion anyway, is just a terrible idea. I like Jack Black, but think he just won't work in the film. I am not looking foward to this film. At all.

Looks allright. I'll see it because of Naomi Watts & PJ.

Just have faith in Jackson. He pulled off LOTR when many thought he would fail. You just have to trust him and he won't let you down.

There's going to be a lot of high expectations for this movie, and if any one can pull it off, Peter Jackson can. He has the budget, the actors and the vision to pull it off. I hope Peter watches the 1998 "Godzilla" remake and learns what NOT to do with "KIng Kong".

Now 'Godzilla' was a disappointment. Although the effects were good, it just didn't have everything else.

I already have high expectations of the movie and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.