Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Not a fan of Jim Carey? How about How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) Has it really been 15 years since that came out???

I like Jim Carrey. I just don't like stupid movies, and the Dumb and Dumber movies look really stupid.

Sorry, CR. Not seen it, don't want to see it, never wanted to see it and I don't feel like reading something where I'm not interested in the source.

Fair enough HoneyKid I will come up with a new review soon!

I would have not watched Dumb and Dumber To except I bumped into it on the library shelve and as it was free, borrowed it... So far I'm not liking 2014 movies, I might have to go back to the 1940s, which is more my speed.

I am one of the people that didn't care for the first one, so I had no desire to watch the second. Out of Jim Carrey's comedies I liked The Cable Guy and Yes Man but my favorite Carrey movie is probably The Truman Show, followed very closely by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Don't remember too many movies from 2014. The ones I liked are: The Grand Budapest, Pride and St. Vincent. Movies I still want to see: Wild, Big Eyes, and The Salt of the Earth (documentary).

Do you have a running list of the movies you have reviewed already?

Do you have a running list of the movies you have reviewed already?
No I don't, but that's a really good idea. I'll have to make an Index on page 1 to all the films I've reviewed so far. I had planned on reviewing every film that I watched...but wow! that's a lot of work as I watch a movie every night.

Out of Jim Carrey's comedies I liked The Cable Guy and Yes Man but my favorite Carrey movie is probably The Truman Show, followed very closely by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
I loved The Truman Show, I found it humbling in the way it looked at one's life through a 'close up lens'. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I liked that one too. The Cable Guy was the funniest Carrey film that I've seen.I never seen, Yes Man.

I never heard of, The Salt of the Earth. I see it deals with a photographers changing view of humanity over 40 years. It sounds interesting, drop me a note when you see it, I like to hear your opinion (or anyone's opinion on it.)

Dumb and Dumber is probably my favorite Jim Carey movie, so I do at least want to try this new one. My favorite Carey after that is Ace Ventura I'd say, then maybe Liar Liar, The Mask, Me Myself and Irene, Eternal Sunshine, and The Cable Guy.

Space Station 76 (2014)

Director: Jack Plotnick
Cast: Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler, Marisa Coughlan, Matt Bomer, Jerry O'Connell,Kali Rocha
Genre: Dark Comedy Drama, Sci-Fi
Length: 93 minutes

Premise: What would happen if people's culture, values and styles were permanently stuck in the mid 1970s and yet it was the future on some space station...what would that future look like?

Space Station 76 is not sci-fi. It might seem like sci-fi because it's set on a space station orbiting an alternative earth but that's the end of the sci-fi part. There's no CG, no lasers, no space battles. The entire movie takes place in a few rooms inside the station and it's about people and their neuroses.

The film is based on a stage play and like many play based films it's heavy on dialogue and characters. The director described the film as a dark comedy. Comedy really isn't the right word, it's more of an expose. This is not a Space Balls or Galaxy Quest type film. The 'comedy' is dry and subtle and comes out of examining the values and personalities of these people who are permanently stuck with 1970s lifestyles. Better yet, don't think of it as a comedy at all.

The decor and set design is all fabulously done up in 1970s style. There's a lot of detail that went into making this look like an alternative history. It's fun looking at the sets and spotting styling cues from the past. How many can you see in the photo?

Space Station 76 is a small budget indie film, which dares to be different. If you go into this film with no expectations you might just enjoy it as much as I did. It helps if you're familiar with the 1970s. There's no big story arch, no huge conflicts, just a bunch of chain smoking, pill popping, drinking people who can't seem to get their lives together.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Station 76 (2014).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	49127  

Space Station 76 is a small budget Indie film, which dares to be different. If you go into this film with no expectations you might just enjoy it as much as I did. It helps if you're familiar with the 1970s. There's no big story arch, no huge conflicts, just a bunch of chain smoking pill popping, drinking people who can't seem to get their life's together. ]
Great. Sounds like my 20's. Take away the smoking, drinking and pills and it sounds like my life now.

I've seen a few people mention this and it is something I think I might like.

Big Eyes
(2014)

Director: Tim Burton
Cast: Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Danny Huston
Genre: Biography Drama

A biopic drama about painter Margaret Keane who painted the 'big eyes' paintings that became a huge commercial success in the 1960s. It follows her struggles with her husband who claimed that he had painted her paintings and kept her from telling the truth to the world.

Big Eyes?...Tim Burton? Sounds like an insane combination! But no Mr Burton shows great restraint and tells a straight forward story of a struggling artist, Margaret Keane (Amy Adams) and her emotional and legal battles with her smooth talking, slimy business minded husband (Christoph Waltz) who steals fame and respect from his wife by claiming the paintings are his work. He goes so far as to make her sign his name to the art and keeps his wife a virtual prisoner in her home. Even her own daughter from a first marriage is kept in the dark about the paintings.

What makes this movie work is, it's true! This is one of those 'stranger than fiction' events and it actually happened to Mrs Keane. In the 1960's her art work was famous. You couldn't walk into a room with out seeing a reproduction of her art on the wall. When I was a little kid one of her lithographs of a big eyed sad dog hung in my bedroom. Tim Burton is an advent collector of her art and a personally fan of Margret Keane and for that reason he sought to tell her story.

I really liked this film and so did my wife. It's easy to watch, not to fast, not to slow, nice pacing. Both Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz are talented actors and are excellent in this. They bring the characters to life...It's the uniqueness of the story itself that makes this worth watching.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Eyes (2014).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	49128  

Big Eyes is a good movie, but you seemed to like it a little more than I did. I just couldn't sympathize with her because I thought the movie made it very clear that she knew what her husband was doing, but she did nothing to try to stop him until it was too late.

I too, had doubts as to if she was a victim, a willing participant or something in between. I like to see a biography documentary on her.

My main concern, and don't laugh...was the refrigerator. It was not vintage 1950s but a newer squarish model that was just painted turquoise to look old.

I was taken by surprise by the movie because I thought it was an animated movie based on the poster.

We had some of her artwork in my house when I was a kid. My parents had a bunch of her pictures of kids with big eyes dressed as jesters.