Scariest movie you saw as a child

Tools    

MovieForums Extra
What was the scariest movie you remember seeing as a child?? I remember watching Stephen King's "It" when I was about 6 years old, and it remains the scariest movie I saw as a child! I couldn't sleep at all that night, and my quality of sleep was VERY poor over the next few weeks For those of you who haven't seen it, it's about a clown who goes around eating children My brother saw it recently and said that it was more funny than scary...I haven't seen it since, and I like it to stay in my memory that way!!

One of the first horror movies I ever saw was the original Halloween...as far as I can remember.

Cheers!

This might sound crazy, but I was 6 or 7 when Edward Scissorhands came out and my parents took me to see it in the theater and it scared me like nothing else. I would have nightmares that Edward turned evil and was hiding in one of the rooms of the house and if I ever walked by the room at night, I had to run by it so he couldn't catch me. My phobia didn't last long but if you think about it, a guy with big scissors for hands isn't exactly the kind of thing for a child to see. I was fairly traumatized.

Now, it's one of my favorites.

I think the name was "The Legend of Boggy Creek."

Didn't see it.
That's the name of it. There was even two sequels.

A movie that scared me when I was a little kid was The Wizard of Oz. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out a bit, too (still does, actually. Those Oompa Loompas are creepy).

The slasher movies from late '70s and into the '80s (the Halloween series, THe Friday the 13th series) never really scared me. The first Nightmare on Elm Street was genuinely scary to me, but I was 14 or 15 when I saw it, so I really wasn't a child anymore by then.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I can list two movies as a kid that scared the crap out of me. ET and The Ghoulies 2. ET still scares me, but Ghoulies doesn't. The scene that got me in the Ghoulies was in the end when the guy goes to sit down on the toliet and the water ghoulie comes up and bites off his arse. I was scared to sit down on the toliet for months after seing that. Given I was 7 or 8.

Yeah, It was pretty scary, but the scariest for me when I was a kid was probably The Thing (I think). It was a black and white film about an alien vegetable in some arctic research base or something. Apparently a classic. Scared the hell out of me!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I've seen a movie called The Thing that was like that, same plot. But wasn't black and white. It was a remake by John Carpenter I guess.

Yeah...the Wizard of Oz scared the crap out of me too the first time I saw it.

Cheers!

I've never seen either version of The Thing, but I remember when the remake came out (in the early to mid-80s), my Dad telling me that the original version was the scariest movie he'd ever seen to that point.

I'd say Stephen King's "It" was one of the scarier movies I saw as a child. Nothing else specific comes to mind right now, but I'm sure I've seen others.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Hmm ... "It" was weird but not really scary to me ...

I saw the color-movie version of The Thing and there was ONE freaky part (no spoilers here) and if you saw it I think you know what i mean. But that was only a couple of years ago, never had the trauma of seeing it as a child.

Actually, it wasn't the original Wizard of Oz but I think the follow-up that freaked the crap out of me ... it had flying monkies and the Wicked Witch (one out of 2, right?) had removable heads lining a long gallery in glass cases ... and a flying couch with a moose-head (talking/alive/magical) attached ... and i believe a pumpkin-headed man ... all VERY freaky.

And there was Nightmare on Elm Street 2, and The Blob. I'm not sure, were there multiple versions of that one? cause i seem to remember it in black and white ... and being horrified through the entire thing.

And, the ORIGINAL Night of the Living Dead. I think the ending in particular with the music and the terrible irony of the ending just really ... got to me.

MovieForums Extra

Everyone's talking about Wizard of Oz as being one of the freakier movies they saw...what's going on guys?? I remember seeing it as a kid, and I wasn't even the least bit scared, I remember thoroughly enjoying it!! By the way, is it possible that the film was filmed in the twenties or thirties?? I remember hearing something about 75 or 80 years since the movie was made, but it sounds implausible, especially since it's in colour!

I saw Psycho when I was a kid but didn't find it scary, as I was too young to understand it. I just thought he was weird!

Then I saw it on telly the other day... AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Zephyrus,

The Wizard of Oz is one of the first colored movie...it was using the Technicolor technique, which consists of coloring the movie frame by frame.

The movie was released in 1939 and it's not the first movie in colors as I saw some that were colored before that in one of my courses...I don't remember the titles but they weren't American commercial movies.

Cheers!

MovieForums Extra
Hmmm, now I get it, no wonder it was the 60th anniversary two years ago! Of course I've heard of Technicolor, I think even the big mega pictures like Ben Hur and Spartacus were done in Technicolor, but I didn't know you couloured it in frame by frame! Let's see, at 24 frames/second for a three hour movie...comes roughly to almost 260,000 frames...that's a lot of colouring !!

I have two. Easy Rider, I don't know if it was on tv or at the movies but my parents didn't want me to watch it. So I whined and pleaded and they gave in. I was just little then. So of course I had a huge nightmare that they still bring up at family get togethers and stuff. You remember when you were little and you had that nightmare about the white horse and we had to take you to the emergency room? Yup, mom I do. You've only told this story 15 million times.

So we went to the fair or something and there was a carosel. One of the white horses broke off it and started chasing us down the highway. My dad was driving sometimes and shooting out the window at the horse other times. The horse was on the passenger side like me so I had a clear view of blood spurting out whenever my dad shot the horse.
The horse was really mad and wanted to get us. he wouldn't die. He ran us off the road and we landed in a cematary. Yup. I ran, I think he knocked my dad out or something. My mom and my sister were in the back seat scared. I fell down and this huge white horse starts rearing up and trying to stomp me into the ground. But he couldn't get to me because of the tombstones in the way.

Then I woke up or partially work up kicking and punching and my mom and dad were like, what's wrong? What is it? And I kept saying, the white horse! Where's the white horse? And they said what are you taking about and I said the one from the fair! And I freaked out and hid under the kitchen table. They pulled me out and I tried to break free yelling the white horse is gonna get me! My parents totally freaked out 'cause they never saw me have a nightmare like that before so they thought I hit my head or something and took me to the hospital emergency room. They were really freaked out and so was I. I kept yelling don't go out to the car! The white horse will get us! And I was crying and kept my head ducked down all the way because I didn't want to see the horse coming and getting shot with blood all over. So when we get to the hospital my dad tells the doctor, I think he has a hangover and the doctor goes WHAT?? Then my dad says uh.. uh.. uh.. I mean uh.. nightmare!

This is the part of the family traditional story where everyone laughs and starts telling about the time when I cracked my head on the mailbox. I didn't have a hangover, my dad just said that by accident. I don't know what the docs at the hospital did to me. There's a part in that movie where a guy is driving his motorcycle down the highway and a car comes up and shoots him off it. I think that's what inspired my dream. I had never seen anybody killed before.

Sorry about that. That was one big 'ol story!
Oh well, I guess you don't have to go to Amazon.com now.
I just wrote you a book.

What about E.T. scared you? That movie made me cry like a little baby.

Zephyrus, this is not a lot of work...I have seen animated movies that took the artists 10 years to create/produce! It was an animation created entirely with sand!

LOL...I cried too when I saw ET!

Cheers!