A Debut Gig

Tools    

I See You When You're Sleeping
Hello.

Our band had our first gig on Friday and as scary as that was (and it was) we got a recording thrust at us. Have a listen HERE! and let me know what you think. Join us if you're on myspace and all that if you want.

Oh yeah, we don't really sing much, it's more an instrumental thing.

You guys are going to need to hire some security guards before long… and I hope you remember a little redhead in 'Nawlins who is in that line of work….

As always, you guys are awesome…. I love it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you sing much?

Regardless, love the tunes/beats. Very polished sounding. It says on your page that you're "trying to make some soundtrack-ish music," and you've definitely nailed that feeling. This sounds like the kind of stuff you'd hear in the background of a movie, or a trailer.

And this coming from a guy who almost never listens to just instrumental stuff. Seriously, with even mediocre vocals, I'd have put this stuff on my iPod already.

Thanks for sharing, Mini. Very cool.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you sing much?
It's not like we've stayed away from using vocals, just that they haven't come naturally. I don't want to add vocals to a track until I feel it can be beneficial from it, not just including them for the sake of it. We have a bit of a vocal on 'Dial' and more will come on others when it feels right. I listen to bands like Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky and Broken Social Scene who seem to share the same opinion really.

Regardless, love the tunes/beats. Very polished sounding. It says on your page that you're "trying to make some soundtrack-ish music," and you've definitely nailed that feeling. This sounds like the kind of stuff you'd hear in the background of a movie, or a trailer.

And this coming from a guy who almost never listens to just instrumental stuff. Seriously, with even mediocre vocals, I'd have put this stuff on my iPod already.

Thanks for sharing, Mini. Very cool.
Cheers Yods, nice to hear some 'starting out' feedback!

Wahay, Youtube link power! Here's the end of our gig, the last bit of a song (I'm the guy on the far left by the way).

Hello there,

Had a few pics lying around of the band so I thought I'd add some to one of our new 'tracks'. See what you think...

Interesting comments, we are a post rock band so glad you noticed that. I don't mind making boring music, in fact that's what we go for

Post rock isn't boring. Bands like Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed!...make monumental soundscapes...that song is just a riff a 5 year old child could come up with monotonously repeated over 5 minutes. That's what I meant by boring.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Damn Adi, i can't tell if you've smoked too much weed or not enough.

Were you making pre-post-rock at the age of five, or was that just, like, a totally excessive comment?

(Incidentally, was someone vomiting up a vocoder in those pics? If so, i thoroughly approve)

No, I'm just not emotionally attached to the guy so I can tell the truth...I didn't realize only positive thoughts and comments were allowed on MF...:-/
Regardless, the full-on nature of your comments seem like a personal attack.

Anyway, cheers for listening!

No, I'm just an asshole by nature...nothing personal...I do the same for friends who are aspiring musicians as well as perfect strangers...can't have you going around thinking you can make a living out of it. I'd feel personally responsible for the waste of time and effort...:

A system of cells interlinked
So...what instruments do you play, Adi? Love to hear your stuff...

No, but you have to if you want to say things like "can't have you going around thinking you can make a living out of it." In jest or not, this implies that you have some sort of expertise, and are not just some random guy with a bluntly-expressed opinion.