The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I can understand why someone would pick The Gunfighter(1950) for me, three of my last noms have been westerns and I've scored several high recently in these halls. The film is short and it's got a great single focus to it...it's basically the story of a Gunfighter who doesn't want to be a Gunfighter anymore. Also the best westerns are really the ones that try and tell a simple morality tale and once that's this movie.

Sadly the idea is good but as time goes by the film hasn't aged well. The movie very similar to Unforgiven but with Unforgiven you have a degree of realism. Gregory Peck is good but almost miscast this is the sort of film that you want a Robert Mitchum who you can buy as an old outlaw...not Atticus Fitch. Peck doesn't really have the menace to him that the role needs to have.

The strength of the film is in it's supporting cast, in a story like this when you visit with the townspeople you find all these little great performances and ideas which breaks from the familiarity of the work.

I watched The Gunfighter recently for the Westerns List, and I liked it. It reminded me a little bit of the John Wayne movie The Shootist, but I liked The Gunfighter more. Gregory Peck had more of a "quiet-toughness" to his character than John Wayne, and I thought the ending was better.

See I think you'd be good at recommending movies for others. You're a very astute observer in the Guess the Movie from the Pictures game. I think you'd avail yourself to doing research and then making some sound educated guesses for others.

I tried to use my 'brainpower' and make my best guesses, I can only hope I did OK

It's hard for me to recommend movies because I don't understand why people like some of the top rated movies. Sometimes I don't really know why I like or dislike a certain movie, but I just know whether or not I liked it.

The trick is not minding
See I think you'd be good at recommending movies for others. You're a very astute observer in the Guess the Movie from the Pictures game. I think you'd avail yourself to doing research and then making some sound educated guesses for others.

I tried to use my 'brainpower' and make my best guesses, I can only hope I did OK

It's hard for me to recommend movies because I don't understand why people like some of the top rated movies. Sometimes I don't really know why I like or dislike a certain movie, but I just know whether or not I liked it.
I get it. Everyone has different tastes and not everyone will agree on the top movies. Even major critics disagree over them.
For instance, I didn’t like Fargo when I first watched it years ago. I’ve tried multiple times and I just can’t enjoy it. And it’s regarded as a classic.

I get it. Everyone has different tastes and not everyone will agree on the top movies. Even major critics disagree over them.
For instance, I didn’t like Fargo when I first watched it years ago. I’ve tried multiple times and I just can’t enjoy it. And it’s regarded as a classic.

I tried watching Fargo once a few years ago, but I couldn't get through it.

When we do the MoFo countdowns, I rarely have a lot of movies on my list that make the countdown. Sometimes the #1 movie on my list doesn't even make the countdown at all, and sometimes I don't even have any movies on my list that make the top 5 or 10 on the countdown.

This was my top 10 that I most wanted to see from the lists. Lucky that I got my top 3.

Ran
Paris Texas
Parasite
Fanny and Alexander
Three Colours
Short Cuts
Exotica
Downfall
Secrets and Lies
Philadelphia
Here's mine:
  • Day for Night
  • Red Beard
  • Pickup on South Street
  • Leave Her to Heaven
  • Hud
  • Grizzly Man
  • Amadeus
  • Metropolis
  • The Seventh Seal
  • The Lady from Shanghai

My top ten so I got one...

Beverly Hills Cop
Possession
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Searching for Bobby Fisher
Man on Wire
When We Were Kings
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Brothers Keeper
Shoplifters
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days

Beverly Hills Cop
Possession

The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Man on Wire
When We Were Kings
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Brothers Keeper
Shoplifters
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Bolded the ones I love and would recommend watching after this hof.
Also heard good things about Man On Wire and The Ghost and Mrs Muir but haven't seen them myself.

The trick is not minding
I didn’t have a top ten list, but there were a few films I was hoping were picked:

Invasion of the body snatchers (1956)
Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
High and low
Harakiri
The Killing
None were selected, but that’s ok! I plan on watching them soon enough regardless

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I didn’t have a top ten list, but there were a few films I was hoping were picked:

Invasion of the body snatchers (1956)
Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
High and low
Harakiri
The Killing
None were selected, but that’s ok! I plan on watching them soon enough regardless
Almost gave you Harakiri xD but I think you'll enjoy the one I picked!

Even though I have movies on the lists or otherwise that I want to see, I have found it to be common that others are better than myself at picking what I actually like.

The nominations in the second post will turn to links once they are watched.

Beverly Hills Cop
Possession
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Man on Wire
When We Were Kings
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Brothers Keeper
Shoplifters
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Had this on your shortlist but was a little nervous about nominating a documentary. It's very good.

The Evil Dead 1981 Directed by Sam Raimi

Massive cult-favorite and one of the biggest influences on the gore-horror genre.
Bruce Campbell was an excellent casting choice for this film and probably one of the key ingredients for the success of the franchise later on.
The balance between the horror and the comedic elements was fine for the target audience back then; young 80’s teens and virgins. But when you watch it in 2020 some elements that were not intended to be funny back in 1980 were funny now.

The cinematography and effects are so creative and inventive some of it still holds up today. The clay stop motion technique was the only ‘practical’ effect that didn’t stand the test of time.
Also love the camera movement in this film, and the accompanying soundtrack. For me those two elements stood the test of time most.

Favorite scenes:
  • The Rape of the Vines scene
  • Give Her the Ax scene
  • The first shot/scene of the famous chainsaw and Ash standing in front of his girl thinking if he should cut ‘her’ up or not.

+

My Suspect for who nominated this one is the Usual one. Or maybe CapSpaulding.

I can understand that....If you want, you can pick a movie for me to watch from my MoFo list that I haven't seen, that you think I will like. I will post about it, no obligations, I won't pick one for you. I'd like to get a recommendation from you, if you like to.

The Shawshank Redemption
My guess: Cricket

^^That guess up there was so hard, this movie is so well loved and well known that I basically had to randomly pick someone who I thought may have nominated this.

I tried soooo hard to dislike this movie. I wanted to have "unique and edgy taste," "go against the grain," bla bla whatever that means. All I knew is that I didn't want to love the #1 highest rated movie on IM*B.

But I did love it. Every minute, every damn second. A masterpiece like this deserves the recognition it gets as one of the greatest films ever made. Every part of it - Darabont's flawless direction and screenplay, Newman's sweeping score, Deakins's typically legendary cinemtography, and of course the utterly magnificent acting performances - all led to a timeless movie that has already become a classic.

I don't even know where to start. How about with the acting. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman both give equally fantastic performances. Robbins playing a quiet, layed back, yet confident man, one whose choices change the lives of those around him. Then Freeman playing an equally wise character in his own right, a man who actually has done the crime he's convicted of, and the real main character. Both actors completely embody their respective character. So no complaints there; I was completely immersed in the people and places of Shawshank.

And then, the characters themselves. Andy Dufrane, a character who was sent to prison for a murder he didn't do, finds himself in the stony walls of Shawshank Prison. It's interesting thinking about his life before prison. Maybe he was successful, had a steady job, had friends. Was he happy? At least not with his wife, who was cheating on him. We never really learn about Andy's backstory (although I personally think this is a sequel to the Toy Story trilogy). The movie tells us "It doesn't matter."

And then we've got Red, a man who is up in the ranks as one of the most powerful prisoners at Shawshank. He's known to locate certain things from time to time. He has connections. His life inside the prison is one of contentedness. It's Red that is the main character of Shawshank Redemption; It is his redemption in the film, not Andy's. Throughout the story Red questions and learns what it is to live. He learns about hope and compassion, he experiences from Andy what it is like to stand up for what is right. "Get busy living, or get busy dying."

Speaking of that line, the screenplay also blew me away. What I expected would be a prison break dramatic script, instead turned into an endlessly quotable, FUNNY, screenplay that sets up characters and entertains easily while also juggling a hefty plot.

Does Deakins ever disappoint? Not in Shawshank. The shots of the outside of the prison are stunning, and no dialogue could introduce us so well to what exactly those prison walls do to people. That entire "escape explanation" scene was shot brilliantly, especially the final triumphant moment when Andy rips his shirt off and celebrates.

This must be one of the most satisfying and fulfilling movies I've ever seen. The final embrace at the end had me in tears, honest to God. It's so emotional, but it doesn't ply for tears, it's the honesty and beauty of the reunion, it's the beauty of the whole damn movie, that had me in tears.

I can't relate to being locked up in a prison for thirty years. But what I can relate to is the feeling of emptiness, the feeling that something - either internal or external - is stopping you from living.

This movie is inspiring me to get busy living.

-

I'm going to try and comment, in one way or another, on as many movies that I can. Hopefully that will get the conversation going ...and maybe some of these are my choices, or maybe not

Parasite (2019)

..but for modern times, nothing beats South Korea. They're churning out great movies left and right, and director Bong Joon Ho is a big part of that. I had previously seen his Mother, Memories of Murder, and The Host, all good movies and I also get to see his Snowpiercer in this HoF.
I was hoping someone might choose Parasite for me, it looks pretty interesting...I said I don't usually like new Korean films in another post, but I realize from what you said that I've seen some cool Korean films. I've seen Host and liked it's uniqueness. I seen Assassination (2015) and liked it too. I didn't care for Snowpiercer, but thinking back on it I think I might have been too harsh as it's best seen in the vein of The 5th Element or something like that. It's not hard sci-fi. I'd like to see it again.

Pandora's Box (1928)
Directed by G.W. Pabst

Well, the acting from the leads is fabulous but especially from Louise Brooks. It's her movie all day long and her acting was so natural...I'm going to say it right now - that was the best performance I've ever seen in a silent film. It's that good and I gotta admit - she was alright to look at and that hairdo -10/10.

Right on a 10/10 for Louise's hairdoYou know I'd give her hair the same rating Cool that you made the best of this silent film even though it sounds like old silent films aren't your thing. I liked Pandora's Box and Louise Brooks! I also liked her Diary of a Lost Girl.

The Gunfighter (1950)

Gregory Peck is good but almost miscast this is the sort of film that you want a Robert Mitchum who you can buy as an old outlaw...not Atticus Fitch. Peck doesn't really have the menace to him that the role needs to have.

The strength of the film is in it's supporting cast, in a story like this when you visit with the townspeople you find all these little great performances and ideas which breaks from the familiarity of the work.

This is one of my favorite westerns. And it's because of Peck. His character is an aging gunfighter, weary of being a gunman and having mellowed with age. He's especially complex and more adult that the typical western gunfighter as his concerns in later life are in seeing his son for the first time and trying to make up for a lost life with his former love. The ending is one of the most poignant endings in mid 20th century westerns. The Gunfighter is a much more reflective, pensive film than the typical shoot up western.

I watched The Gunfighter recently for the Westerns List, and I liked it. It reminded me a little bit of the John Wayne movie The Shootist, but I liked The Gunfighter more. Gregory Peck had more of a "quiet-toughness" to his character than John Wayne, and I thought the ending was better.
Yup, yup and yup!

This is one of my favorite westerns. And it's because of Peck. His character is an aging gunfighter, weary of being a gunman and having mellowed with age. He's especially complex and more adult that the typical western gunfighter as his concerns in later life are in seeing his son for the first time and trying to make up for a lost life with his former love. The ending is one of the most poignant endings in mid 20th century westerns. The Gunfighter is a much more reflective, pensive film than the typical shoot up western.
Yup + yup, gave The Gunfighter a 9/10 a couple of weeks ago.

I think a number of Gregory Peck's westerns will be making the western countdown list. Just check my top 10 profile!
The Gunfighter will be making my Westerns list. Very well made film.