John's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I love Road to Perdition Thanks for the review john!! i think im going have to pick up a copy for me now

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
Nice work, John. I am curious what you meant about Jude Law's role being unnecessary at times. Can you say more on that?
Well, I thought that his mini conflict with Sullivan was shadowed by a lot of things and it wasn't needed. It's kind of hard to explain but, I just thought it wasn't needed.

WARNING: "Road To Perdition" spoilers below
Well, it might be because his character killed Mike Sullivan. That upset me but, that's not the entire reason.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Good Work

Poster

“Sacrifice. Destiny. Choice.”

Movie: Spider-Man 2

Rating: Rated pg13

Director: Sam Raimi

Release Date: June 30, 2004

Cast: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, J.K. Simmons, and Alfred Molina

Marvel’s sequel to Spider-Man doesn’t disappoint. It’s a job done well by director, Sam Raimi.

The number one difference from the two films is the way they depict Spider-Man. The first one showed how he was able to manage everything. The sequel shows his human side; the side that needs attention, management, and most of all, love. They do a great job of showing how he’s just like everybody else in the way that he’s got problems of his own.

Spider-Man hasn’t, and never will be like the other superheroes. He’s the only superhero that everybody can relate to because he has several flaws: bad money flow, bad love life, school problems, and maybe even toenail fungus. The director and writer do a great job of showing this; minus the toenail fungus.

Tobey’s performance has gotten better but, that doesn’t necessarily say that it’s great; I will say it’s finally up to scratch for me. Kirsten’s performance has also improved to the point that I enjoy it much more then her first performance. Mostly, everyone does a great job, but the actor that sticks out with the best portrayal is Alfred Molina as the horribly, wonderful Dr. Otto Octavius. He does a great job of doing both the good and bad sides of Dr. Octavius. I didn’t see a thing wrong with his performance. He makes you feel for his character even when he’s doing horrible things.

This sequel does a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat; unlike the first one that had me drifting off in to wonderland land with sheer boredom. This film can be a disappointment for those of you who expect a bit more out of a film then this one can give. Whether you liked the first one, or not, this one is a whole lot better at keeping you interested. I don’t know what we can expect from Marvel in Spider-Man 3 but, if it’s anything like this one, it won’t disappoint.

I wasn't that keen on the first one, I will watch the 2nd one now, especially after your review

The Final Cut

“In the end, he sees everything.”

Movie: The Final Cut

Rating: Rated pg13

Director and Writer: Omar Naim

Release Date: October 15, 2004 (Limited)

Cast: Robin Williams, Jim Caviezel, Mira Sorvino

In the not so distant future, our lives are digitally recorded at the decision of our parents. Everything you say, everything you hear, and everything you see is recorded to the virtually, undetectable Zoe Implant. After your death, it is the job of a “cutter” to edit your entire life into a fitting memorial called, a Rememory. Alan Hakman (Robin Williams) is the best in the business; after taking his latest assignment, he witnesses a scene from his past that has haunted him for life. In a race against time, Alan’s life is put on the line in order to find out the truth about his life and the real reason he has become the person he is today.

I loved the way the film did the fight of immortality versus morality. The way you were able to express your own views on if it was right to see life through another person’s eyes. This battle of right and wrong was the center of the film and I feel they did a good job of allowing the audience to enter into this dilemma. Having the audience plunge into this other world and feel as if they are interacting makes a suspenseful film worthwhile. In my eyes, allowing an audience to feel the rush, break away from their lives, and enter into another, it is the entire base of suspense films.

Robin Williams gives a great performance as the clueless, Alan Hakman. Throughout the film, Robin’s character is oblivious to the world around him; and his feelings for both the living, and dead, are minute. Alan’s love and joy, with Delila, is so short and sporadic that it had no place in the film. His life revolves around his cutting machine and work. He feels as if his work is cleansing the dead of their sins, and he strives for perfection.

Jim Caviezel plays as Fletcher; the ex-cutter turned activist, and he’s good at being bad. Fletcher is against the Zoe Implant and he feels as if the “cutters” have an unprecedented power. Jim Caviezel did a good job with molding the bad guy into an ambition driven nemesis. I enjoyed the way he made the character appear to have tunnel vision; Fletcher didn’t care about the living, or the dead. He was driven to complete his task to better mankind; no matter what the costs, no matter what the risks.

The Final Cut is a decent suspense film; with a thickening plot and two well performing actors, this is a good film to pick up. Robin’s films vary from bad, good, and sometimes, just plain horrible. He’s made comedies, dramas, family films, and suspense films; the latest of his are suspense films and he’s doing a fine job of them. My favorite of them so far has been One Hour Photo followed by, The Final Cut. With Robin Williams, you either like, or hate his work.

MovieForums Extra
Good review John. I'll make a point of seeing this one. Thanks!

I'm going to try and get another review out this week. I'm going back to school and I'll need something to do while in class. I got to find a film to review though.

Nice review Johnny Boy!

I haven't seen it yet and never really considered watching it before, mainly because I've never really been much of a Williams fan. I don't hate him or anything, but he's not anywhere near being one of my favorites.

I'll check it out though.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Nice review Johnny Boy!

I haven't seen it yet and never really considered watching it before, mainly because I've never really been much of a Williams fan. I don't hate him or anything, but he's not anywhere near being one of my favorites.

I'll check it out though.
I've kind of grown up on Williams thanks to my dad.

Sin City
“Hell of a way to end a partnership.”

Movie: Sin City

Rating: Rated r

Director and Writer: Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller (co-director), and Quentin Tarantino (special guest director)

Release Date: April 1, 2005

Cast: Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Clive Owen, Nick Stahl, Elijah Wood, Brittany Murphy, and Michael Clarke Duncan

Where do I begin and how do I start? This was the question that troubled me as I wrote. I was confused as to how I should write, and what I should say. My thoughts never did sound good enough and I had to rewrite in order for me to find the best of words. After worrying about what to do I decided to start at the beginning, where all stories start.

I’d never heard of Frank Miller, or his comic book series Sin City. I was just a young, cultural shocked teenage. Then, I became ecstatic after hearing so many profound things about this movie. When the film stopped rolling, a cold wave of astonishment took over and it still clings to me this very day. It was a marveling ride through a city full of crime and death; and damn, it was good.

Sin City takes three astonishing stories and wraps them up into one hair-raising film with effects out of this world. Shot entirely on green screen, it’s a change in Hollywood movie making. A black/white film-noir, with colors here and there, gives an atmosphere that’s unbeatably crisp and fresh.

John Hartigan (Bruce Willis) is a policeman at the end of his run with only one loose end to tie up; the kidnapping of an 11 year old girl. His story was my favorite among the three because I didn’t see an actor, but an actual person that was near the end and still fighting to survive. Willis gave a performance I hadn’t seen since Die Hard, and it was just stunning. It was as if Willis talked to his character giving him an unearthly understanding of John Hartigan and his quest.

Marv, the big ugly bloke you can't help but love, is played by the beefy Mickey Rourke. He is by far the heart and soul of Sin City; the tour guide as some people might say. The character helps you understand the alleys and creep joints of the big city. Not only does he have an uncanny understanding of the city, his story is told true to the comics. From the beginning, when he goes on his lustful revenge for a hooker named Goldie, to the shocking end he stays true to his comic book roots. An amazing piece of film requires an amazing character such as Marv, and damn, he was good.

Then, there’s Dwight. He’s what Sin City might call “Batman” or “Spider-Man”; or as close as one can get. He just so happens to be bad and good, mostly in between though. His history and inner self have yet to be reveled but, he does, however, give a good impression of a good guy trying to help the good at heart. Living in a world full of sin, one can only be so good. Hopefully, his roots will be discovered a bit more in a sequel.

It’s hard for one to describe Sin City and its sinning inhabitants. One can only hope to give a film such as this enough credit in a review. To amount to the level as such as it in words can only be so difficult. It’s astonishingly hard to amount to the film’s greatness in sentences or paragraphs. Hopefully these words can give Sin City the proper treatment of glory it deserves; damn, sin is good.

Best review you've written so far...but, for some reason, I thought you already posted one for Sin City.