Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Kameradschaft (1931)

Probably the best movie I've seen in a long time. I'm going to call this film a small masterpiece of cinematic history!

The story of German miners who put national animosities aside (since tensions are still raw after WWI) to go rescue French miners on the other side of the border after a mine explosion & cave in.

The movie is very realistic. You won't find any cardboard-looking sets here. Everything from costumes to equipment looks real - even a 1931 mechanical artificial respirator keeping an injured man alive!

The special effects are limited, but extremely well done for the time. The film captures a feeling of claustrophobia inside the mines and the filmography of the mine scenes is visually very dark. I don't know if this was due to the 1930's camera technology or was done on purpose. Either way, it adds to the atmosphere inside the shafts. Despite the darkness, you rarely feel as if you don't know what's going on (unlike a lot of modern movies that forego clarity for atmosphere or special effects).

On one hand this is a disaster movie made long before Irwin Allen made the genre popular. On the other, it's an allegory about peace, cooperation and humanity.

The truly heartbreaking thing about watching this film is not about the plot, but knowing the historical context that would follow in real life. In the film, truckloads of Germans enter France to save French miners. In real life, less than a decade later, truckloads of Germans would enter France to take the country by force. Apparently the beautiful message of this film (its title means "Comradeship") was lost upon the architects of the Third Reich.

5 Popcorn Boxes!
I wish I would have read about this earlier. I have to leave in an hour, but it's on-demand (Comcast) for free. Only 90 minutes long too. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to that.
Honestly... I can totally seeing you digging it.

Master of My Domain
Wait till you see 3!
Nah, 3 is the best one is the series, and way better than 2, which is the worst.

I'm really looking forward to that.
Me too!! First Linklater movie I'm looking forward to.

Welcome to the human race...
X-Men: Days of Future Past -

I'm starting to reconsider going to see Apocalypse in theatres.

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)

I'm not a Seth MacFarlane fan at all. So I was reluctant to see this film when my better half wanted to see it on cable. As we had nothing else lined up, I gave in. And I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty funny all the way through, though if you're not a fan of potty humor, look out. And when I say "potty," I mean there is a literal scene where a man
WARNING: spoilers below
craps in his hat.
But, as it's a Western setting, MacFarlane puts some semi-serious material in the movie. Still, it's mainly humor, and MacFarlane's Albert Stark is in a longtime relationship with Louise (Amanda Seyfried) when she dumps him because of his obvious cowardice before a gunfight. His best friend, Edward (Giovanni Ribisi) is also a coward, so they get along famously. Edward's girlfriend, Ruth (Sarah Silverman) is a whore but is making Edward wait until their wedding night before they have "relations." Albert finds a new friend in the beautiful Anna (Charlize Theron), who has a secret. Liam Neeson has a lot to do with that secret.

This is just a lighthearted, vulgar, nasty, funny movie, with lots of random deaths that have something to do with the title of the movie, I believe. And the movie as a whole ends up not being as dirty as it could have been. Lots of guest-stars, particularly a fun cameo at the end. Check it out if you not too thin-skinned.

The Apartment (1960 re-watch)

For some reason, I've been catching a lot of movies that I haven't seen since I was a kid or at least a pre-teen. I'm glad I watched this again because I knew it was great and I remember being in love with Shirley MacLaine in this. But the movie itself is a classic, with the famous story of a working stiff in an insurance building who happens to be a bachelor with an apartment that is coveted by his higher-ups who use it for one-night stands, with the promise that the bachelor (Jack Lemmon) will be kicked up the corporate ladder. Along the way, he falls for the building elevator operator (MacLaine), who, unknown to him, is dating his married boss (Fred MacMurray). A lot of complications go along with a movie of this type and this movie is a perfect combination of comedy, romance, and drama. Directed with his usual smooth style by Billy Wilder.

Joy Ride (2001)

Fun thriller starring the late Paul Walker, and co-starring Steve Zahn and Leelee Sobieski. Walker buys a car primarily for the opportunity to pick up a longtime friend (Sobieski) at college for possible romance. Unfortunately, his trouble-making brother (Zahn) is released from jail and contacts him, asking for a ride home. So the stage is set for a road trip that will devolve into terror. Zahn installs a CB radio into his brother's car and starts to play games with truckers, involving his brother. They pick on the wrong trucker who doesn't like their games and comes after them with a vengeance. After a few encounters, they pick up Sobieski and neglect to tell her about their problem. She soon finds out, though.

Good, solid flick that is fairly intense, with little gore, but a good amount of violence and action. There is one especially pulse-pounding scene involving Sobieski and a shotgun but that's all I'll say. Very much worth catching.

I have to return some videotapes...
Schindler's List -
++

Exceptional film.

Master of My Domain
The Getaway (Peckinpah, 1972)

The entire film is on autopilot, meaning that there's a lot of forced excitement, and an absence of wit, style and a purpose. Even the acting by Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw is phoned in. I can't take a movie seriously when one person is not using all of his talent and the other one is making the same derpface for 2 hours. What a bummer. There's one scene that summarizes the entire movie: a robbery occurs which involves explosions and a accidentally destroyed porch of a house, for those sake of explosions and porch destroying. So what? Exactly.

I almost forgot to comment on the soundtrack, which is annoying as hell. It is too eerie to be considered cartoonish. and too corny to be considered experimental.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Joyride is underrated. It's a great white-knuckle thriller.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Vertigo

Alfred Hitchcock

I'm going through some Hitchcock. I was really impressed with the simplicity of Dial M For Murder, now I've seen to go to the opposite side and taken a look at Hitchcock's most ambitious project, Vertigo.

Using different lighting and colour schemes along with inventive camera techniques, Vertigo is highly regarded as one of, if not the, best Hitchcock film. Which is weird to me because if you were to ask anyone what they think his best film is, you'll get a variety of different answers. My takeaway is a little difficult. I'm still wrestling with this film because I was so utterly bored with the first half that I was seriously questioning why this film is so highly regarded. Then the halfway point hits and it instantly got me hooked. It demands you to look at the film in a different light and repeat a viewing. So how do I feel about that? I still don't know. What I do know is that this is NOT my favourite Hitchcock film.

John Ferguson, a retired detective, is asked by an old friend to follow his wife. He suspects her of being 'possessed' by her great great grandmother, who committed suicide at the young age of 26. The man's wife is 26 and is afraid she might do the same. While following her, John becomes obsessed and will do anything to make sure she stays safe...from herself.

I knew nothing about this film, so this supernatural element threw me for a loop. As I said before, the first half is slow and mundane to the point of insanity. I appreciated the creative techniques Hitchcock was implying in certain scenes, but I just couldn't force myself to care about anything. Then the surprise element is introduced and I thought the film was wrapping up soon...wrong. It goes on for an entirely different third act, which in reality, reflects Hitchcock's own persona. Roger Ebert expertly points out how Ferguson is actually Hitchcock with his controlling obsessiveness over his blonde actors. This is glaringly obvious and serves as another layer to this already rich film.

Vertigo is something I need to revisit in the near future. Maybe the second time around I can see the brilliance and throw it higher on my list, as of right now Rear Window still stands near the top.