Equilibrium

→ in
Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
i've forgotten if you've seen Brazil. Have u? One of my fave distopian films ever

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Me? Yes I have. I LOVE it. I haven't seen it in quite a while though. I'll probably see it again very soon.

The King of Horror
This filim totaly kicked ass. The whole Idea of it is kinda scary I mean think about what if there was no emotion allowed in the world and if you had a emotion you get throwed in jail I think that would be scary.

Anyway I have never heard of the film Brazil. What is it about?

it's by Terry Gilliam, the guy who did Twelve Monkeys, and Fisher King and trippy stuff like that (and he was also the animator for the brit tv series Monty Python's Flying Circus). Brazil is a real escapism-exploration, as well as being a nice bit of social-criticism. He produced an amazingly beguiling and believable distopia on a low budget, and tackled all kinds of issues about running away and acting at the right time. Power, nepotism, day-dreaming, inept-technology, Robert Deniro in the strangest role you'll ever see him in...so much good stuff in this film. Highly recommend

[the american version supposedly has a slightly more softened ending, but i think ultimately the film carries a comparable punch in either version]

I See You When You're Sleeping
Brazil is a fantastic film and worth the pennies to buy on dvd (buying it soon).

Anyway Golgot have you read Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell) or Brave New World (Aldous Huxley )? Fantastic dystopian novels which gave life to movies such as Brazil, Demolition man ( ) and also Equilibrium.

Gotta read some utopian novels soon! ooooh Huxley has Island

oh for sure for sure. Two of my favourite books in the whole wide world. I've forgotten all the terms used in 1984 - double-speak wasn't it, but along with the Yes Minister series and Animal Farm that was a great early education in political spin. But Brave New World...man...that book is so potentially accurate it is FRIGHTENING (soma's pretty similar to ecstacy in some ways, and when i re-read it a while back some friends were delving a little bit too deep into that escapism pit, and making their probs worse - the comparison really bit home at the time. But it's the DNA meddling etc etc that is the most frightening. An effective film of that could cause revolutions - not to mention revulsion. Someone should do it possibly Gilliam!)

Island didn't exactly blow me away in the same way, but it's a kind of interesting thought/anthropology-experiment. Erm, and it's not completely utopian - in fact it seemed quite realistic/down-to-earth to me at the time in many ways

Have you read Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle? Pretty damn cynical and depressing, but some great terminology and distopian mind-games too.

Hmm, what utopian books/films are there at the end of the day?? World's without conflict don't seem to strike the same sparks of recognition and creativity/re-invention

As a Welsh academic claimed recently - when a nation is put under particular stress, adversity/oppression or belittlement, it bounces back that much stronger (tho tom jones is one of her examples, so even my welsh side struggles to agree )

Movie Explorer
I burned this movie onto CD-R before it was released on VHS and DVD.
I personally thought that this movie was awesome. Although I didn't quite understand how Taye Diggs would be all smiles when there are no emotions allowed.

The whole concept was awesome. Human emotion is what caused society to be weak and fail.

The action scenes were great, amazing even at some points except a guy with twin pistols can wipe out a circle of guys with machine guns?? haha.

[spoiler]

Anyway, Sean Bean had one of the best scenes, I loved that part when he was sitting there reading a book and Bale gets rid of him only to feel emotions himself later on and apologizes.

Overall, great movie.

I saw it the other night and I got blown away, it was awesome!. Isn't out on dvd somewhere cos one of my mates has got it on dvd

lotr and potc rocks
has any1 seen Equilibriam before, its a good movie

lotr and potc rocks
Originally Posted by Arwen_M
has any1 seen Equilibriam before, its a good movie
it stars Christian Bale and Sean Bean

Great movie, it is on my top five

lotr and potc rocks
yeah its great action

I was surprised that it was not a bigger movie. It was very good and I just happen to here TechTV say it was good so I rented it. Did it even hit theatres. It should have.

lotr and potc rocks
I dont rememeber it being in theatres

Thats to bad I bet it could have made some money if it was advertised.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I've seen it a few times now, and I really like this film. Externally, it is a kick*ss action flick, but internally it is a touching cautionary tale. Bale's performance is well worth the admission price I was denied.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
I've seen it a few times now, and I really like this film. Externally, it is a kick*ss action flick, but internally it is a touching cautionary tale. Bale's performance is well worth the admission price I was denied.
this movie sucked i rented worst 5, 10 hours of my life theres about in total 1 minute of action it was boring all christian bale did was cry and this little technique he has to use guns is stupid he stands btwn like 10 swat guys and he doesnt get touched once but he kills all of them come on!!! MATRIX IS BETTER!

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Arwen_M
I dont rememeber it being in theatres
It had a limited release (around 300 theaters). It made a little over $1 mil (USA) on a $20 mil budget.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

I 'enjoyed' this film, preferred it to the second Matrix (haven't and won't see the third), I think Bale did well as did Taye Diggs, the small parts from Sean Bean and Sean Pertwee were good, and kept me interested.

Overall, it was really just a no-brainer action/sci-fi that tried to be more than that.

Originally Posted by regex_1
I was surprised that it was not a bigger movie. It was very good and I just happen to here TechTV say it was good so I rented it. Did it even hit theatres. It should have.
taken from IMBD.com:

The film was not given a wide release because it had already run into profit as a result of overseas sales, and Miramax didn't want to risk turning a money maker into a loss.