Which was better-the movie or the tv show?

Tools    

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore/Alice. Movie wins here. Tv show was enjoyable but didn't stand out as a sitcom, but the movie was a special gem.
One of my favorite movies of all time. (Doncha love the story of a woman’s journey in life?) Had no idea Alice was based on it. Never seen the tv show.

Sex and the City- Wha' happened here? TV show was solid and there were some classic lmao scenes - I could sit through the movie but that was about it.
Seen the entire SATC a million times. Love it. The first movie was semi-watchable, but the 2nd movie was atrocious. People get greedy & taint what was good.

Both The Odd Couple movie and TV series were good, but the series with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall was a little bit better than the movie.
I agree. I liked them both.

Suburra, the movie, was good, but Suburra the TV Series was great.
Des is banned so I can say without fear that neither was good.

Gomorrah, the movie was not that good, but Gomorrah, the TV Series, was great.
Gomorrah the movie was great. Gomorrah the tv show was far & away the best show I saw last year & can’t wait for season 3 dvd to arrive next month.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Des is banned so I can say without fear that neither was good. .
What did he do again - was he the rollercoaster fetish guy?

Sex and the City - oh my god that movie made me want to claw my eyes out. Cringeworthy to the extreme!!! Utter crap!

Don’t know why Des was banned. You’d have to ask Yoda. I really enjoyed baiting him as he was ultra-quick to take offense, but then he put me in ignore & spoiled all my fun. A wannabe marine who was not in the marine corps.

I've just watched the 1967 Callan pilot, A Magnum for Schneider, and was very impressed.

I was also surprised. I hadn't realised that the plot was the basis for the 1974 film, which I saw many years ago and was also on TV a few nights back. This meant that certain scenes were fresh in my mind and I could compare them, with the original production winning out easily.

I recall that the film didn't engage me but this TV version definitely did. I think the choices the actors made in this episode worked far better – for example Callan is not so overtly intimidating towards Lonely, and for his part Lonely does not seem as scared of him as he is in the film, at least at first . It makes the film seem incredibly one-dimensional whereas these characters are more real.

The writing's top-notch, the acting is great all-round. Russell Hunter is so brilliant – when wasn't he ? I also enjoyed seeing Joseph Furst (who, like Hunter, I first encountered through Doctor Who) and I thought he played an excellent character.

8/10 for me. And I'm looking forward to watching more.

Continued with Callan today with the episode The Good Ones Are All Dead. It suffers slightly as it's partly a reprise of situations and some dialogue from the pilot as mentioned above. However, still incredibly watchable and with good actors. Anthony Valentine in particular really impressed me, taking over the role from Peter Bowles who was also very good. Valentine just has that bit more menace which he put to good use again and again over the years – my favourite example being as Baron Gruner in Sherlock Holmes.

7.5/10.

@SeeingisBelieving Had forgotten all about Callan. Vaguely remember Edward Woodward in the role. Was he some kind of danger man or something?

TV Shows' better than Movie

Hannibal

@SeeingisBelieving Had forgotten all about Callan. Vaguely remember Edward Woodward in the role. Was he some kind of danger man or something?
Yes he's essentially a killer for the secret service. It's been great seeing them – I've watched two more since .

Good topic Lenslady! I don't recall a thread topic like this, at least not recently....Here's my thoughts:

M*A*S*H* the movie wasn't all that great. It had colorful characters and interesting premise but the story itself wasn't well thought out. And the racist jokes are painful to see.

The TV series was vastly superior especially after Alan Alda took over production and the show took on a moralistic quality coupled with heart felt characters that one could deeply care about.

I haven't really seen both the TV and Movie versions of the ones you listed. But I have been wanting to watch the TV series Alice. If I can find it that is.
Wow, Citizen, we have vastly different opinions about MASH...I love the movie, it's a little more graphic and serious in tone than the sitcom and I thought Robert Altman's directorial style worked for it perfectly. As for the sitcom, I thought the show got pretentious and overly serious when Alda took over as Executive Producer, but the first few seasons were a lot of fun.

I'm really torn regarding The Odd Couple...I never get tired of watching either one. I often find it hard connecting Alice to Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. The series was more of a comic ensemble based on the characters in the movie where the movie was pretty much a character study about the character of Alice Hyatt. The sitcom always felt like it took place fifty years after the movie. Sex and the City is the only one you mentioned where I think the series was superior to the movie.

Sex and the City is the only one you mentioned where I think the series was superior to the movie.
Far superior. The 1st movie was semi-bearable, but the 2nd movie was unwatchable. Thank goodness they never made a 3rd.