The MoFo Comic Book Movies List

→ in
Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
List submitted. not sure why the deadline is so far away tbph.

List submitted. not sure why the deadline is so far away tbph.
Because Rodent thinks he's awesome sauce (and he is, but this decision wasn't) and can make us wait an eternity for 50 comic book movies.

I was slightly surprised by the deadline, but I have a lot of movies to re watch, so I won't complain until that's done.

And I don't agree with made-for TV movies/straight to video-DVD movies not being allowed. They are still movies and many of them are good.
I feel the same away. I had several straight to DVD movies as candidates, they're more reliable on quality than stupid DC live action movies
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I've stretched the deadline so I don't overlap too badly with the 80s list...

I've added Comic Strips to the list as well... as long as they fall into the List rules, they're fine.

I've also fixed those links.

Why no made for TV movies/straight to video movies, though? That is so preposterous. Chances are none will make the list anyways, but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. They can be just as good as a theatrical release. Sometimes they just don't do theatrical releases with some movies for some reason, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't qualify as films.

If you were doing the theme of, say, fantasy, and it included fantasy-horror, that would mean Leprechaun and Leprechaun 2 could be allowed, but not Leprechaun 3, 4, 5 and 6.

And if a straight to video movie DID make the list, that would certainly be something and worth recognizing.

SC is at it again. Questioning the rules.

I already have lists in so too late to change around and go back on my own rules. It would defeat the purpose of writing rules and regs in the first place.

You kind of answered the question yourself anyway. There wouldn't be much chance of them showing anyway, but a feature length movie and a TV made movie are two different things.

TV movies almost, not always, but almost, universally have poor writing and scripting and even worse acting from people who have never seen a camera before.
I've just had to fix the links in the rules again, I noticed they still weren't working.

SC is at it again. Questioning the rules.
It's the INTJ way, of course.

Originally Posted by The Rodent
I already have lists in so too late to change around and go back on my own rules. It would defeat the purpose of writing rules and regs in the first place.
Yes, that's very INTJ sounding too, unfortunately.

You kind of answered the question yourself anyway. There wouldn't be much chance of them showing anyway
More INTJ talk.

but a feature length movie and a TV made movie are two different things.
Not really. Movies are deemed movies as long as they're over an hour long. TV movies might be lesser quality (sometimes/often) than theatrical releases, but they can be just as good. I think you're being prejudiced.

TV movies almost, not always, but almost, universally have poor writing and scripting and even worse acting from people who have never seen a camera before.
Oh, really? Prayers for Bobby is a TV movie and it stars Sigourney Weaver. Not to mention the countless other TV movies out there.

You are just biased. You are excluding movies because you think they're inferior. It's really no different than if I excluded foreign films/Asian movies if I did a list.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
You are just biased. You are excluding movies because you think they're inferior. It's really no different than if I excluded foreign films/Asian movies if I did a list.
I'm no human atlas or anything, but i believe Asian is considered foreign to everyone not in, yanno Asia.

There's a difference going on here -- it means either I exclude foreign films from all countries, or just films from Asian countries.

Technically Hollywood films are foreign to everyone who isn't American... and anything made outside of America/Hollywood, is foreign to American people.

So holding a MoFo "Foreign" Film List technically would have to include every single film ever made without exception due to the broad geography of MoFos.

At least my list has clear boundaries.

Well, after 24 hours of thinking... I have 9/25 movies picked

I nearly put down Shyamalan's Unbreakable... but then realised it's not based on an actual comic.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The distinction between comics and graphic novels is nomenclature and manga is comics in Japanese.

I believe by movies based on comics you mean Marvel and DC superhero movies.

This is not a genre specific list. It's like saying that "movies based on novels" are a genre.
Oh shut up. Everyone knew what I meant.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've stretched the deadline so I don't overlap too badly with the 80s list...

I've added Comic Strips to the list as well... as long as they fall into the List rules, they're fine.

I've also fixed those links.
I'm glad the deadline is so far away. I'm still watching 80s movies and I'm going to have a ton of movies to watch for this list as I probably haven't seen very many.

Let the night air cool you off
Everybody vote for Oldboy, it counts in this thing, so do it. Also, vote for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Vote for Watchmen. Definitely vote for Watchmen. Vote for the 1966 Batman as well, because that is very fun. I would say vote for the 1989 version of The Punisher (even though I haven't seen it,) but I think it went straight to video, so you can't...

I would like to be able to vote for straight-to-video films though, but I understand the rules, and don't want to cause too much of a ruckus.

Yay! Someone agrees with me!

I spoke with Skepsis about it and he mentioned bringing the date forward, but it would have left only two months or so for people to watch what they need to and get their lists together, then it would be over Christmas and New Year when the list is finally revealed...

I will say though, closer to the time, if we have a pile of lists in and there are masses of different choices, I may be able to make it a Top 100... it all depends on MoFo interest, actual list amounts and sheer volume of different movies... i.e. you never know, if everyone has say, 10-15 picks that are all the same as each other, we'd end up having to go with a Top 50.

Until then though, just roll with it being a Top 50 and we'll see what happens in a few months when the numbers are growing.

Let the night air cool you off
I hope a large number of people participate, and throw in suggestions as well. I think I might keep a list of well known films that aren't really thought of as "comic book movies," so people don't forget to vote for them. I could see this hurting Oldboy and The Addams Family.