Rioting in the U.S.

Tools    

...I like to include all people, to emulate a fist, rather than dividing us (making us easier to control and divide) into little fingers.....
I liked your post, lots of interesting thoughts there. I like the idea of all of us being a strong fist, instead of being divided into fingers that don't always work together.

People should also know that most will only see highlights - anything that makes news for the respective news stations (and their target audience). I also think there are agent provocateurs, infiltration, and a distortion of what's happening...
News media=agent provocateurs, I like that, very true. To me the news has morphed into anti-news that tells a bit of the truth and screams it over and over until that small bit of the news story becomes the whole story of humanity. If we had serious and complete news coverage instead of the 10 second sound bite things might be a whole bunch better.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
George Floyd was saying he couldn't breathe while he was still standing up, and when people are getting arrested they will say a lot of things. That doesn't matter to me because he didn't need that kind of restraint, he died, and the officer let it happen and/or contributed to it. Morally I think it's just as bad regardless of what the legal defense may be.
It doesn't matter whether he said it before, or after, he was being pinned down. The cops should have heeded his pleas. Chauvin is a murderer.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Is anyone knowledgeable of Germany/Deutschland and how it has addressed and tried to reconcile its past with the Jewish people?

Someone that has been there, lived there, versus just reading about it?

It doesn't matter whether he said it before, or after, he was being pinned down. The cops should have heeded his pleas. Chauvin is a murderer. Why are you defending a murderer?
I'm not defending the guy and I think I've made it clear what I think of him. However, I'm afraid this might be a big problem from a legal standpoint.

I have a question for everyone who's watch the full video of the arrest of George Floyd:

How much pressure does it look like the cop Derek Chauvin used with his knee? Does the video look like he had his full weight pressed into into the suspects neck?

Could George Floyd move and/or lift up his head our shoulders at all?

Can any of that be told by the video?

Has there been expert discussion on news programs about the amount of pressure?

I have a question for everyone who's watch the full video of the arrest of George Floyd:

How much pressure does it look like the cop Derek Chauvin used with his knee? Does the video look like he had his full weight pressed into into the suspects neck?

I was thinking about this and I'm sure it will come up in court. I haven't been able to watch the whole video as it's just too upsetting. I am concerned that things are going to get a lot uglier because I'm not confident any of these guys get convicted.

Yeah, I saw some stuff from one of the autopsy reports that, if true, would make a conviction difficult.
You've got various serious heart conditions, multiple hardcore drugs, and on top of that he tested positive for corona. I have no idea which of these are relevant, but you just have to put doubt in a jury's mind. I thought it was for the best when he was originally charged. From what I understand, it was upped to murder 2 in order to charge the other officers. When I saw that I thought oh crap. Now you have to prove intent. I was already seeing black experts in different fields saying how it doesn't make sense that he intended to murder him. Plus, can he get a fair trial and is that an issue? How much pressure was he putting on his neck? I've heard a lot of people in law enforcement condemn that technique but how was this guy trained and does it matter? Did they use more force because they became aware of his criminal history and if so what would the jury think? This guy was clearly in distress and he went down on his own. He may have been facing significant time if he did indeed pass a bad bill. Being arrested like that and knowing the trouble you're facing can affect your health very easily. It's very murky and that makes the case against the other officers murky as well.

I couldn't tell for sure.

Heard one news commentator say the cop was moving his other foot freely which indicated he had his full weight on George.

In the video, the cop addressing the crowd says something at one point like, "He's talking, so he isn't choking." or "He's talking, so he's breathing."

I remember something like this from first aid classes - involving choking requiring the Heimlich maneuver - if the person can talk, even in a strained way - then they are getting air through their trachea, so there's no need to start panicking (although action is necessary as whatever is restricting their airway could shift and get fully clogged) - it's when they go silent and can only motion with their hands that immediate, forceful intervention is required.

HOWEVER, that applies to a blocked airway usually from food - not from having your neck crushed under a knee which could both restrict the airway AND restrict blood flow through the carotid artery.

Let the night air cool you off
Yeah, I saw some stuff from one of the autopsy reports that, if true, would make a conviction difficult.
Do you think his trial will be fair though? How do you assemble a jury for a trial like this? If he isn't convicted more cities will burn, and I think everybody probably knows that.

Think about how screwed up this all is for the other three officers as well. You know for sure they didn't intend for Floyd to die, they just got caught in a terrible situation and now their lives are potentially ruined.

Think about how screwed up this all is for the other three officers as well. You know for sure they didn't intend for Floyd to die, they just got caught in a terrible situation and now their lives are potentially ruined.
I heard it was one of the guy's 4th day on the job. Yikes.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I heard it was one of the guy's 4th day on the job. Yikes.
Yea it's a tricky situation if you're one of the other cops. Do you make a scene and knock the guy off him, then Floyd suddenly gets up and injures one of them. Not only that, you're suddenly not trusted by guys who you count on to watch your back. One of them could have been a hero but it's easy for us to say.

I do hold them accountable for failing to intervene.
Chauvin may have been the senior officer, but they wouldn't had to have challenged his authority to just tap him on the shoulder and whisper in his ear, "Hey, man, we're being filmed and the guy's saying he can't breath - we don't want another Eric Garner situation - he's already cuffed so let's try to put him in the car again."

Yea it's a tricky situation if you're one of the other cops. Do you make a scene and knock the guy off him, then Floyd suddenly gets up and injures one of them. Not only that, you're suddenly not trusted by guys who you count on to watch your back. One of them could have been a hero but it's easy for us to say.
I highly doubt any of them thought Floyd was telling the truth. They probably thought Floyd was doing what a lot of people do: lying. Cops have to deal with people actively trying to get one over on them and lying to them all the time. It's very easy to armchair quarterback this thing, but I can't honestly say I would have done anything different than any of the other three officers. I can clearly say that I wouldn't have done what Chauvin did, but the other three, I don't honestly know. It's not easy to speak up sometimes, especially in the heat of the moment. Then you have to consider that you have to keep an eye on the man on the ground and the potential crowd of people that can close on you quickly. I'm not saying they handled it correctly, because the end result kind of lets us know that clearly the optimal conclusion was not the one we got.

I do hold them accountable for failing to intervene.
Chauvin may have been the senior officer, but they wouldn't had to have challenged his authority to just tap him on the shoulder and whisper in his ear, "Hey, man, we're being filmed and the guy's saying he can't breath - we don't want another Eric Garner situation - he's already cuffed so let's try to put him in the car again."
From what I understand one of the officers did say something. It will be interesting to see if they treat the three of them exactly the same. I don't think they can do that.

From what I understand one of the officers did say something. It will be interesting to see if they treat the three of them exactly the same. I don't think they can do that.
Yes, I did JUST hear that on the news.

Conflicting reports: I only heard this once on a news show (and haven't heard it repeated anywhere since), and I don't remember who said it, but someone claimed that while Chauvin was kneeling on Floyd, the two other officers (not seen in the main video) were kneeling on Floyd's back thus compressing his lungs while Chauvin compressed his airway.

Yes, I did JUST hear that on the news.

Conflicting reports: I only heard this once on a news show (and haven't heard it repeated anywhere since), and I don't remember who said it, but someone claimed that while Chauvin was kneeling on Floyd, the two other officers (not seen in the main video) were kneeling on Floyd's back thus compressing his lungs while Chauvin compressed his airway.
Well that would definitely be taking part. I'm surprised none of the citizens rushed in. I almost did that once in my wild days when a friend, who happened to be black, was on the ground getting cuffed. There were tons of people around and I was circling them looking for an angle. I'm certainly glad I didn't do it and wouldn't even think of it now. Of course it wasn't a life threatening situation.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Do you think his trial will be fair though? How do you assemble a jury for a trial like this?
Find 12 Amish people who have never heard of Derek Chauvin or George Floyd, or 12 cave dwellers.