Movie watching equipment at home

Tools    

What is your movie watching equipment at home ??

Mine is not anything spectacular---it is a 42 inch Sony Bravia LED TV .I got a Sony blue ray /DVD player free with it . I have somewhat enhanced the sound by adding a sound bar and connecting it by auxillary wire to the headphone jack .

I wanted to do a similar thread actually, but with pictures where people could show off there set-up - if they have a killer one of course.

I love what I have, but it isn't mind-blowing or anything... I own a Philips 47" LED tv, middle to high end model. I have a Playstation 3 for blu-ray and I got it hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system.

I wanted to do a similar thread actually, but with pictures where people could show off there set-up - if they have a killer one of course.

I love what I have, but it isn't mind-blowing or anything... I own a Philips 47" LED tv, middle to high end model. I have a Playstation 3 for blu-ray and I got it hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system.
i have got a Panasonic 5.1 home theater , but it plays only DVDs , cannot play blue ray discs .

i have got a Panasonic 5.1 home theater , but it plays only DVDs , cannot play blue ray discs .
Mine's DVD as well, but just because it's dvd doesn't mean it won't sound good when hooked to a BD player. I know it's not exactly the optimal solution, and I won't get perfect BD quality sound, but I've tried playing action movies loud with my set-up, and it sounds extremely good to me.

A system of cells interlinked
Samsung 50' Plasma

Harman Kardon AVR 630

Polk Audio Speakers - Sort of a Frankenstein mix, with TB 90 Front Mains - CsI3 Center Channel - FxI3 Dipole Surrounds

Velodyne VX-10 Subwoofer

XBox 360 - This is our primary disc player. I still don't have Blu-Ray capability.

Yep - my first gen 360 is STILL ticking. And still very loud!

It's an old thread, but a good one. Can't be arsed to get out of bed & take photos at 11:38 p.m., but I have an LG 47" TV, which I love. It stands on a cabinet that contains a regular DVD player & a multi-region DVD player for non-USA movies. Never had the least desire for a Blu-Ray player. When I stream movies, I stream on my iPad, which suits me fine. That's it for my entertainment center, which is in our master bedroom & which I love.

Nothing especially amazing. 39.5 inch TV, couple of Blu ray players (one multi-region), couple of DVD players (one of which is in the TV, the other of which is actually my oldest player - 17 years old and still works!).

FADA 15" Color! that we 'rescued' from a skip

Nextbase portable DVD player

Bushnell 10x50 (cos the FADA screen is just a wee bit on the small side) - we have a set each!

Funny how the screen is only 15 inches, but the entire thing is probably fairly heavy.

Never heard of FADA - just looked it up & he was a guy from New York who was born in 1888. FADA were his initials.

My new iPad Air & its Smart Cover. Ordered yesterday & on the way from Apple.com.

You ready? You look ready.
Amazing set-up! You REALLY need blu-ray asap, everything else is just like taking a huge dump on your own system!
He really doesn't.

I have personally heard his system, and it's still clutch.

Also: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...t=home+theater

As for myself, I have a 43" 4K LG with HDR, a Xbox One S, and a LG 2.1 soundbar. And it is, by far, the best setup I have ever had (aside from when I had a pair of Polk LSis and sub).

I turn on the Xbox which turns on the TV which turns on the soundbar. I use my phone to control the Xbox and TV volume. When I'm done I turn off the Xbox which turns off the TV which turns off the soundbar. No fuss, no muss.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

He really doesn't.

I have personally heard his system, and it's still clutch.

Also: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...t=home+theater
Why in the world are you quoting a post I made 5 years ago?

Anyways, I would still say yes he does. He should buy a new receiver (if he hasn’t already). He can keep the amazing speakers and sub, but to get full benefit of movie watching you need uncrompressed sound. Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. With optional Atmos if you want.

But while standard Dolby digital will still sound great on a high class setup, you aren’t getting the full benefit and potential of your system. I think it’s a shame for some great speakers not to extend their capability to the max.

Why in the world are you quoting a post I made 5 years ago?

Anyways, I would still say yes he does. He should buy a new receiver (if he hasn’t already). He can keep the amazing speakers and sub, but to get full benefit of movie watching you need uncrompressed sound. Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. With optional Atmos if you want.

But while standard Dolby digital will still sound great on a high class setup, you aren’t getting the full benefit potential of your system. I think it’s a shame for some great speakers not to extend their capability to the max.
I did it for the lulz.

And I used to think the same but nah, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio is not needed. Is it nice? Sure. But definitely not needed.

It makes more sense and will be more noticeable/pronounced if you go from a 5.1 system to a 7.1 system rather than from a lossy to a lossless format.

Sound has far too many variables, and not every receiver handles lossless formats the same way. There's EQ and other settings that would make more sense before lossless. So like, you could get a receiver that has lossless support that sounds worse than a lossy.

I did it for the lulz.

And I used to think the same but nah, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio is not needed. Is it nice? Sure. But definitely not needed.

It makes more sense and will be more noticeable/pronounced if you go from a 5.1 system to a 7.1 system rather than from a lossy to a lossless format.
I would probably agree with that. But it depends on what you want.

I saw the photo of this man’s speakers and thought he wasn’t a guy who wanted to compromise. Sure, if you just want surround sound then it’s all good. But you might as well get the whole package if you got speakers like that. Or else you might as well sell those and buy a 2.1 soundbar instead you know.

@MovieMeditation: I think its fair to say that Sedai ain't one to compromise on his setup, but he is also ain't one that will upgrade if it isn't needed either.

And don't knock those 2.1 soundbars! I have one right now with a wireless sub and it's the best setup in the house, and I only paid $100 for it.