Coronavirus

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/4/14...re-real-estate

https://theconversation.com/goodbye-...ogether-137382

TL; DR: Open floor and co-working offices are built to encourage both movement and closer engagement, so it just helps viruses spread faster. So COVID has put those office layouts in question.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Your post is unclear. You say: "There is nothing “naturally occurring” about COVID-19."

Which would imply you believe it's an artificially lab created virus. Yet the bulk of your post points to Covid-19 as naturally occurring in animals, with the transmission to humans coming from Chinese wet markets.
I see your point, but “naturally occurring” to me means something that occurs “naturally” such as a rainstorm or a rainbow. Not something that’s caused by animals (such as swine fever), by bugs (Lyme Disease), or by humans (deforestation).

I read that as animals would not naturally live in the conditions she described of the wet market. Like the disease was created in an unnatural and forced environment of captivity and stress.
Yes, that’s what I meant.

I don't know. But I'm concerned about a second wave, mostly. The next week or two feel pretty important.
Worried about the fall & winter. No doubt it will return.

Open floor and co-working offices are built to encourage both movement and closer engagement, so it just helps viruses spread faster. So COVID has put those office layouts in question.
Interesting to me is something the NY Times is frequently discussing now. How there is gonna be a TON of unused office space in NYC & elsewhere since some companies (twitter, e.g.) are asking themselves why they need to have all their workers physically come to the workplace. Millions of highways, railroads, bus routes all constructed to ferry workers in & out of their workplaces. Employers are now realizing that some if not all of this work can be done at home. Revolutionary!

Yeah, and it only took a horrible pandemic to get all the obstinate idiots to finally acknowledge their workers can do their work from home. Yup, our country's corporations inspire me.

Two more greens

Faeroe Islands - 187 cases, all recovered
Cambodia - 122 cases, all recovered
Eritrea - 39 cases, all recovered
Timor-Leste - 24 cases, all recovered
New Caledonia - 18 cases, all recovered
Saint Lucia - 18 cases, all recovered
Dominica - 16 cases, all recovered
Falkland Islands - 13 cases, all recovered
Greenland - 11 cases, all recovered
Seychelles - 11 cases, all recovered
Papua New Guinea - 8 cases, all recovered
Saint Barthélemy - 6 cases, all recovered
Western Sahara - 6 cases, all recovered
Caribbean Netherlands - 6 cases, all recovered
Anguilla - 3 cases, all recovered
Saint Pierre Miquelon - 1 case, recovered

My girlfriend is really pissed. We share an internist. Her annual physical was scheduled for March then pushed back to July. Office has just told her that in view of the fact that the office P.A. has resigned, her physical will now be November. And she has been asked if she can do it with a smart phone teleconference.

How can a physical be done like this! One’s weight & height for example need to be taken, not to mention one’s BP. The doctor needs to palpate one’s tummy, examine one’s feet, knee jerk reaction, etc., etc. So glad I have a head’s up on this now. I don’t have a smart phone, but even if I did I would not agree to it.

I was watching Nova last Wednesday and it made me fully understand what this virus does. Its not the virus that kills you, its your own immune system. I found this site that gives the same explanation.

They stress the key role of a potentially lethal overreaction of the immune system in the progression of the disease.

They explain step-by-step what is known about how the virus infects the airways, multiplies inside cells, and in severe cases causes the immune defenses to overshoot with a "cytokine storm." This storm is an over-activation of white blood cells, which release too-great amounts of cytokines -- inflammation-stimulating molecules -- into the blood.

"Similar to what happens after infection with SARS and MERS, data show that patients with severe COVID-19 may have a cytokine storm syndrome. The rapidly increased cytokines attract an excess of immune cells such as lymphocytes and neutrophils, resulting in an infiltration of these cells into lung tissue and thus cause lung injury," explains author Professor Daishun Liu from Zunyi Medical University, China.

The cytokine storm ultimately causes high fever, excessive leakiness of blood vessels, blood clotting inside the body, extremely low blood pressure, lack of oxygen and excess acidity of the blood, and build-up of fluids in the lungs ("pleural effusion").

White blood cells are misdirected to attack and inflame even healthy tissue, leading to failure of the lungs, heart, liver, intestines, kidneys, and genitals (Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, MODS). This may worsen and shutdown the lungs (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, ARDS) due to the formation of a so-called hyaline membrane, composed of debris of proteins and dead cells, lining the lungs, which makes absorption of oxygen difficult. Most deaths due to COVID-19 are therefore due to respiratory failure.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0513081810.htm

What pisses me off the most are the nut cases that say "its just another flu"...

Another cpl of new greens overnight

Edit: Macao now also green as well

Cambodia - 122 cases, all recovered
French Polynesia - 60 cases, all recovered
Macao - 45 cases, all recovered

Saint Kitts & Nevis - 15 cases, all recovered
Definitely gonna crack open my piggy bank once this is all over to see if I've enough to buy my own island.

Connecticut is allowed to have tables & chairs outside restaurants now, but still with social distancing & masks. Pleasant to see today on the 1st day.

Returned after 9 weeks to one part of my church volunteer work today. Everyone wore masks, some wore gloves & most of it (though not for me) is outside for the time being. I survived today.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/def...w/75729194.cms

As companies prepare to exit China and move to neighboring countries in the wake of coronavirus , china engages in aggression on borders with neighbors hoping to intimidate them .

Finally last Friday, you can eat in restaurants with social distancing and the employees were masks. Customers are not required to wear them.

I have gone out 4 times. Not bad so far.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/south...malayan-border

Top US diplomat asks India to resist Chinese aggression on frontiers. The aggressive moves are clearly meant to intimidate India from accepting moves by companies who intend to exit China in wake of coronavirus epidemic.

We had a Denny's in town setup tables in their parking lot to make an outdoor dining area. That was the most comical thing I have seen yet.

Also, my city is the least tested city in my state.

We had a Denny's in town setup tables in their parking lot to make an outdoor dining area. That was the most comical thing I have seen yet.

Also, my city is the least tested city in my state.
Pictures please! I like to see that

No new 'greens' to add and sadly Cambodia lost that status with the reporting of a solitary new case today Hopefully they can regain their green status in due course.

French Polynesia - 60 cases, all recovered
Macao - 45 cases, all recovered
Saint Kitts & Nevis - 15 cases, all recovered

No new 'greens' to add and sadly Cambodia lost that status with the reporting of a solitary new case today Hopefully they can regain their green status in due course.
Continental countries that share land borders with other countries have a hard time suppressing the virus because someone infected can just cross the border, which they can do even if borders are officially closed by crossing ilegally over land.

That's why I think that for these countries the pandemic will last either: Until the vaccine is developed and deployed in large quantities to inoculate the population or when herd immunity is naturally achieved through the deaths of a large number of people.

In certain regions of the world fatalities appear to have been high enough to develop some herd immunity: in New York 20-25% of the population already developed immunity to the virus. In other regions that were even more severely affected such as Guayas in Ecuador, Madrid, and Castilla La Mancha in Spain. I think that herd immunity has already been mostly achieved. Which can be noted as death rates have quickly declined in those places:

...In certain regions of the world fatalities appear to have been high enough to develop some herd immunity: in New York 20-25% of the population already developed immunity to the virus...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but experts have said that there's no proof anyone who's had Covid-19 and recovered is actually immune.