Are costumes sexualising female leads?

Tools    

I was curious as to whether some may feel that costumes in Hollywood movies sexualize women/ female leads? Do you think that this problem has improved, stayed the same or become worse?

I have been looking at starwars the force awakens, ghost busters (2016) and the hunger games. What is your opinion of costumes in these films if you have seen them? I have specifically been looking at Hollywood movies from 2010 however, any information on Hollywood movies will be helpful.

I was curious as to whether some may feel that costumes in Hollywood movies sexualize women/ female leads? Do you think that this problem has improved, stayed the same or become worse?

I have been looking at starwars the force awakens, ghost busters (2016) and the hunger games. What is your opinion of costumes in these films if you have seen them? I have specifically been looking at Hollywood movies from 2010 however, any information on Hollywood movies will be helpful.
The films you mention are interesting examples. I haven't seen any of them all the way through and I can't tell you about Ghostbusters but I don't remember anything sexualized about costumes in The Hunger Games or The Force Awakens. Rey's costume for example just seems to me really practical desert gear. It's feminine but not for me overtly sexual.

This might just do nobody any good.
The new Mummy migt be a better example of a needlessly sexualized design.

Oh, I've just thought of Olivia Munn's costume in X-Men Apocalypse. It struck me as needlessly sexualized (apparently very faithful to the comics) whereas I wouldn't say the same of characters like Storm for example.

Of course we can probably argue about Mystique all day long – the character seems to be clothed in the comics but I get the impression that in the original film the idea was that she could mimic clothing when she changed appearance — but not through clothes she was actually wearing. I'm not sure that that rule continued though .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I havent seen it but what's sexualised about this?

or this?

or this?

I know – that's what I thought . I'm assuming the ladies in Ghostbusters wear other things during the film. The thing is, Kristen Wiig looks sexy there but how much does the boiler suit look contribute to that ?

I know – that's what I thought . I'm assuming the ladies in Ghostbusters wear other things during the film. The thing is, Kristen Wiig looks sexy there but how much does the boiler suit look contribute to that ?
It's the boots.

Maybe the op should post exmples.

It's the boots.

Maybe the op should post exmples.
Actually the gloves are pretty great . Yeah, we do need some examples.

Actually the gloves are pretty great . Yeah, we do need some examples.
Leather. Sizzling.

And I'm all about orange stripes.
The yellow glasses are pretty horny. I would wear those.

The yellow glasses are pretty horny. I would wear those.
Yeah, Kate McKinnon looks funny. I should watch it.

Yeah, Kate McKinnon looks funny. I should watch it.
I'm worried it will make me objectify the sisterhood.

They should be made to wear sacks and cover their faces at all times, lest any male in the audience dare to find them attractive.
That's right, iank! You tell 'em. By the way, I find your avatar very attractive.

They have done so since they invented film.

And why should that be considered a problem? Just in the sexualized repressed countries such as Saudi Arabia and the US that could be regarded as a problem.

They should be made to wear sacks and cover their faces at all times, lest any male in the audience dare to find them attractive.

Afghanistan for the win. They solved the problem of female objectification by the roots.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Oh, I've just thought of Olivia Munn's costume in X-Men Apocalypse. It struck me as needlessly sexualized (apparently very faithful to the comics) whereas I wouldn't say the same of characters like Storm for example.

Of course we can probably argue about Mystique all day long – the character seems to be clothed in the comics but I get the impression that in the original film the idea was that she could mimic clothing when she changed appearance — but not through clothes she was actually wearing. I'm not sure that that rule continued though .

I was actually surprised they decided to stay faithful to this look. If it's any consolation, Olivia Munn absolutely hated wearing it.

Afghanistan for the win. They solved the problem of female objectification by the roots.
Hey Guap, did you realize the Afghani burka uses the same mesh face cover as the villains of A.I.M. (Advanced Idea Mechanics) from Captain America comics?