The everything paranormal/unexplained/bizarre/mysterious thread

Tools    

You want to talk potential cover-ups, read the Marc Dutroux case. It's a serious mindf*ck and leaves you questioning everything.
Read about it before it's insane and disgusting, although not that surprising in hindsight considering Jimmy Saville and that British MP can't remember his name. Oddly i found out about that case because i'd seen a recurring "joke" in British panel shows when ever Belgium was brought up about paedophelia like that was a Belgian stereotype. Went looking to find out what the connection there was and it led me to that, turned my stomach.

You read about Mary Reeser?
YES. AND MORE.

I was a subscriber for a while to the "unexplained" phenomena. They wen ton about the COunt St Germaine, UFOS's and...SPONTANEOUS. HUMAN. COMBUSTION. Which is without a doubt, the scariest of that weird assed **** that can befall people.

YES. AND MORE.

I was a subscriber for a while to the "unexplained" phenomena. They wen ton about the COunt St Germaine, UFOS's and...SPONTANEOUS. HUMAN. COMBUSTION. Which is without a doubt, the scariest of that weird assed **** that can befall people.
I dunno, it is scary but from what i've read it'd be instantaneous and thus wouldn't hurt. Awful but it's also more likely to happen to older people from observed cases anyway, think there's more scary things for me because if it is how it's described it's not that different from dying in your sleep as far as you know.

This is the most common explanation for it, it's been observed and i think it makes the most sense - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect

I dunno, it is scary but from what i've read it'd be instantaneous and thus wouldn't hurt. Awful but it's also more likely to happen to older people from observed cases anyway, think there's more scary things for me because if it is how it's described it's not that different from dying in your sleep as far as you know.

This is the most common explanation for it, it's been observed and i think it makes the most sense - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect
YEAH SHC was always the kicker for me. NONE of that **** makes sense....

YEAH SHC was always the kicker for me. NONE of that **** makes sense....
This is what the wick effect is:

The wick effect theory says a person is kept aflame through his/her own fats after being ignited, accidentally or otherwise. The clothed human body acts like an "inside-out" candle, with the fuel source (human fat) inside and the wick (the clothing of the victim) outside. Hence there is a continuous supply of fuel in the form of melting fat seeping into the victim's clothing. Fat contains a large amount of energy due to the presence of long hydrocarbon chains.
It's not proven but i think it makes sense. There was melted fat found in Mary Reesers rug, and it was most likely her cigarette that ignited her.

[quote]The wick effect theory says a person is kept aflame through his/her own fats after being ignited, accidentally or otherwise. [/quote 9

Just saying it's unfair to blame farts....

The wick effect theory says a person is kept aflame through his/her own fats after being ignited, accidentally or otherwise.
Just saying it's unfair to blame farts....

I do think it is interesting and it might not be the FATS , it might be the farts for all we know. Nothing has been proven because it's incredibly uncommon. Since the first time it was observed 80 years ago or whatever there's only been 6 or 7 agreed upon cases. That's nowhere near enough for a case study, you'd probably need at least a thousand to start observing consistent patterns. It's like the James Randi Test, when someone makes a psychic claim he doesn't ask him to demonstrate it once he asks him to do it over and over again to prove he is operating above chance level. Same with anything like this, over six or whatever cases things may seem like they are a constant characteristic but over 1000 some of those may not always happen and thus you can rule that out as an effect rather than a cause. Also unlikely but it's possible the same thing isn't always happening in those cases.

Anyway you just wanted to drunkenly defend farts i'll shut up , i just have found this intriguing in the past.

The Wreck of the Titan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wr...:_Or,_Futility

"The Wreck of the Titan: Or, Futility (originally called Futility) is an 1898 novella written by Morgan Robertson. The story features the fictional ocean liner Titan, which sinks in the North Atlantic after striking an iceberg. Titan and its sinking have been noted to be very similar to the real-life passenger ship RMS Titanic, which sank fourteen years later. Following the sinking of the Titanic, the novel was reissued with some changes, particularly in the ship's gross tonnage.

Plot:

The first half of Futility introduces the hero John Rowland. Rowland is a disgraced former US Navy officer. Now an alcoholic fallen to the lowest levels of society, he has been dismissed from the Navy and works as a deckhand on the Titan. One April night the ship hits an iceberg, sinking somewhat before the halfway point of the novel.

The second half follows Rowland. He saves the young daughter of a former lover by jumping onto the iceberg with her. The pair find a lifeboat washed up on the iceberg, and are eventually rescued by a passing ship. But the girl is recovered by her mother and Rowland is arrested for her kidnapping. A sympathetic magistrate discharges him and rebukes the mother for being unsympathetic to her daughter's savior. Rowland disappears from the world.

In a brief final chapter covering several years, Rowland works his way up from homeless and anonymous fisherman to a desk job and finally, two years after passing his civil service exam, to "a lucrative position under the Government, and as he seated himself at the desk in his office, could have been heard to remark: 'Now John Rowland, your future is your own. You have merely suffered in the past from a mistaken estimate of the importance of women and whisky.' THE END" (1898 edition at Google Books).

A later edition includes a coda. Rowland receives a letter from the mother, who congratulates him and pleads for him to visit her, and the girl who begs for him.

Similarities to the Titanic:

Although the novel was written before the RMS Titanic was even conceptualized, there are some uncanny similarities between both the fictional and real-life versions. Like the Titanic, the fictional ship sank in April in the North Atlantic, and there were not enough lifeboats for all the passengers. There are also similarities between the size (800 ft (244 m) long for Titan versus 882 ft 9 in (269 m) long for the Titanic), speed (25 knots for Titan, 22.5 knots for Titanic) and life-saving equipment. Similarities between the Titanic and the fictional Titan include:
  • Similar names of the ships
  • Both were described as the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men
    • The Titan was 800 feet long, displacing 75,000 tons (up from 45,000 in the 1898 edition).
    • The Titanic was 882 feet long, displacing 46,000 tons.
  • Described as "unsinkable"
  • Had triple screw (propeller)
  • Shortage of lifeboats
    • The Titan carried "as few as the law allowed", 24 lifeboats, which could carry "less than half" of her total complement of 3,000.
    • The Titanic carried only 16 lifeboats (plus 4 Engelhardt folding lifeboats).
  • Struck an iceberg
    • The Titan, moving at 25 knots, struck an iceberg on the starboard side on a night of April, in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) from Newfoundland (Terranova).
    • The Titanic, moving at 22½ knots, struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912, in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) from Newfoundland (Terranova).
  • Sinking
    • The Titan sank, and the majority of her 2,500 passengers and crew died; only 13 survived.
    • The Titanic sank, and 1,523 of her 2,200 passengers and crew died; 705 survived.
    • The Titan and Titanic both sank on a night in the month of April.
After the Titanic's sinking, some people credited Robertson with clairvoyance. Robertson denied this, claiming the similarities were explained by his extensive knowledge of shipbuilding and maritime trends."

[size=5]
After the Titanic's sinking, some people credited Robertson with clairvoyance. Robertson denied this, claiming the similarities were explained by his extensive knowledge of shipbuilding and maritime trends."
Some of them aren't that weird and that's without the knowledge the author says he has which could include certain engineering/structural things that makes sense.

Similar Names: Not that odd, both the story ship and the actual ones claim to fame was they were the biggest ship so they were always going to pick a name to highlight this. It is curious that they landed on the same one but consider how many choices they had that sounded grand and majestic and not silly/dumb, while clearly spelling out "big" to even layman.

Both were described as the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men: They were the largest crafts afloat and were huge engineering efforts for their time.

Sizes: My guess is in the 17 years before those sizes seemed HUGE and then unattainable since things were always getting larger, by the time the Titanic came around that gap had been cut down alot and thus became kinda close. I would say a tenth of its length longer and nearly half of its weight isn't that close, granted the 45K/46K is pretty incredible.

Described as "unsinkable": Remember reading this was to quell passenger fears, their size made people nervous that they'd not be able to function. The Titanic's sister ship (Olympia i think?) and others before it were described the same, i'm guessing the author knew this.

Lifeboats: Think the "few as the law allowed" line makes it seem like he knew the minimum and he wanted to paint the people in charge of the ship as penny pinching villains, makes it kinda ironic that they'd spend so much on this ship then refuse to open their wallets for rubber dinghy's. Obviously he didn't count on those Scrooge's being real.

Sinking: Yeah that is the only one i think is truly incredible, amazing coincidence. And that's one he couldn't use his knowledge for i don't think unless that area is known for icebergs, but even if that's the case getting it exact is astonishing.

Crew: That's not very close at all, not even sure why that's mentioned. Nearly a third of the Titanic survived, 13/2500 of the Titan survived.

April: Curious if he gave an exact date like April 29th or whatever and that's ommitted because it wouldn't seem that weird in that case. The Lincoln/Kennedy one left out or outright lied about stuff that would have made it much more mundane. If it was just it happened in April then that's a 1/12 chance which while odd isn't that out there.

Thanks for posting, always like those coincidence comparison things.

Some of them aren't that weird and that's without the knowledge the author says he has which could include certain engineering/structural things that makes sense.

Similar Names: Not that odd, both the story ship and the actual ones claim to fame was they were the biggest ship so they were always going to pick a name to highlight this. It is curious that they landed on the same one but consider how many choices they had that sounded grand and majestic and not silly/dumb, while clearly spelling out "big" to even layman.

Both were described as the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men: They were the largest crafts afloat and were huge engineering efforts for their time.

Sizes: My guess is in the 17 years before those sizes seemed HUGE and then unattainable since things were always getting larger, by the time the Titanic came around that gap had been cut down alot and thus became kinda close. I would say a tenth of its length longer and nearly half of its weight isn't that close, granted the 45K/46K is pretty incredible.

Described as "unsinkable": Remember reading this was to quell passenger fears, their size made people nervous that they'd not be able to function. The Titanic's sister ship (Olympia i think?) and others before it were described the same, i'm guessing the author knew this.

Lifeboats: Think the "few as the law allowed" line makes it seem like he knew the minimum and he wanted to paint the people in charge of the ship as penny pinching villains, makes it kinda ironic that they'd spend so much on this ship then refuse to open their wallets for rubber dinghy's. Obviously he didn't count on those Scrooge's being real.

Sinking: Yeah that is the only one i think is truly incredible, amazing coincidence. And that's one he couldn't use his knowledge for i don't think unless that area is known for icebergs, but even if that's the case getting it exact is astonishing.

Crew: That's not very close at all, not even sure why that's mentioned. Nearly a third of the Titanic survived, 13/2500 of the Titan survived.

April: Curious if he gave an exact date like April 29th or whatever and that's ommitted because it wouldn't seem that weird in that case. The Lincoln/Kennedy one left out or outright lied about stuff that would have made it much more mundane. If it was just it happened in April then that's a 1/12 chance which while odd isn't that out there.

Thanks for posting, always like those coincidence comparison things.

Yeah, it's something to pass the time. The coincidence builds up just enough intrigue.

Mysterious deaths in the Dominican Republic
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dominic...on-2019-06-14/

"Another American tourist died this week at a resort in the Dominican Republic. Leyla Cox, 53, came to the island on June 5 to celebrate her birthday.

Her family said she was supposed to return home two days ago, but now, they're planning her funeral. Cox died on June 10, and according to her son, U.S. officials said she died of a heart attack.

At least six other Americans have died since January, some under questionable circumstances. Miranda Schaup-Werner and a couple from Maryland, Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day all died at Bahia Principe hotels.

Preliminary autopsies released by Dominican authorities said they all had fluid in their lungs and respiratory failure. The FBI is conducting toxicology reports on those three deaths.

The series of fatalities are causing concern among Americans thinking of coming to the island. According to the State Department, 13 Americans died there all of last year and three were considered homicides."

Leah Broussard and The Mirrorverse
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ht-ncna1023206

"At Oak Ridge National Laboratory in eastern Tennessee, physicist Leah Broussard is trying to open a portal to a parallel universe.

She calls it an “oscillation” that would lead her to “mirror matter,” but the idea is fundamentally the same. In a series of experiments she plans to run at Oak Ridge this summer, Broussard will send a beam of subatomic particles down a 50-foot tunnel, past a powerful magnet and into an impenetrable wall. If the setup is just right — and if the universe cooperates — some of those particles will transform into mirror-image versions of themselves, allowing them to tunnel right through the wall. And if that happens, Broussard will have uncovered the first evidence of a mirror world right alongside our own.

It’s pretty wacky,” Broussard says of her mind-bending exploration.

The mirror world, assuming it exists, would have its own laws of mirror-physics and its own mirror-history. You wouldn’t find a mirror version of yourself there (and no evil Spock with a goatee — sorry "Star Trek" fans). But current theory allows that you might find mirror atoms and mirror rocks, maybe even mirror planets and stars. Collectively, they could form an entire shadow world, just as real as our own but almost completely cut off from us.

Broussard says her initial search for the mirror world won’t be especially difficult. “This is a pretty straightforward experiment that we cobbled together with parts we found lying around, using equipment and resources we already had available at Oak Ridge,” she says. But if she unequivocally detects even a single mirror particle, it would prove that the visible universe is only half of what is out there — and that the known laws of physics are only half of a much broader set of rules."

More in the linked article above.

"A group of U.S. government workers potentially exposed to unexplained phenomena in Cuba have less white matter in their brains and less connectivity in the areas that control vision and hearing than similar healthy people, doctors have found.

The findings from University of Pennsylvania researchers are the most specific to date about the neurological condition of the U.S. diplomats, spies and their families who reported strange sounds and sensations while serving in Havana between 2016 and 2018.

Yet while doctors found "significant differences" in their brains compared to a control group, they couldn't say whether they were caused by whatever may have happened in Cuba, nor whether those differences account for the Americans' symptoms.

The medical findings, revealed Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association, come as U.S. national security officials tell NBC News that more than two years into the mystery, the government still has not determined who or what is responsible for what transpired in Havana.

The FBI, enlisted in 2017 to investigate what the U.S. has called "targeted attacks," paid multiple trips to Havana but has exhausted its leads in the case, individuals briefed on the investigation say. While the investigation hasn't been formally closed, no external energy source in Cuba has yet been identified that could have caused the injuries, they said. The FBI declined to comment.

Although the Trump administration has not retreated from its assertions that its workers in Cuba were attacked, officials at the FBI, the CIA and the State Department are also examining the possibility that mass psychogenic illness, or psychosomatic symptoms that spread through a community, may be to blame in at least some of the cases, officials said.

The Cuban Embassy in Washington didn't respond to a request for comment. But Dr. Mitchell Joseph Valdés-Sosa, the Cuban Neuroscience Center chief who has been investigating the U.S. claims, said there were major "causes for concern" in the study's methodology, including the makeup of the control group and assertions about brain changes that he said could have resulted from "many factors, including psychological states."

"The most worrisome aspect is the attempt to link these findings with an unspecified 'directional phenomenon,'" Valdés-Sosa said. "The research in this area has been cloaked in secrecy, and driven by cold war paranoia."

Twenty-six Americans who served in Cuba were "medically confirmed" by the State Department to have been affected. The Penn study included most of those workers, their relatives who lived with them and other U.S. workers referred to Penn for potential exposure, bringing the total to 40."

More in linked article above.

Attempt to connect to Sushant Singh Rajput by Steve Huff at the request of Indian fans . Sushant was a famous Bollywood actor who committed suicide by hanging himself to a ceiling fan few weeks ago . At 4.06 he says " Dosti Kay name pey , they murdered me" meaning 'They murdered me in name of friendship' . People are commenting in comments section on YouTube below the video . Of course Steve does not understand this as he does not know hindi language

Mysterious Brain Disorder in Canada
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/w...e-mystery.html

"Six years after they were first reported, debilitating neurological symptoms have shaken the province of New Brunswick and still have doctors in Canada stumped.

Forty-eight people from the same small Canadian province struck with a baffling mix of symptoms including insomnia, impaired motor function and hallucinations such as nightmarish visions of the dead

A quixotic neurologist working 12-hour days to decipher the clues.

Swirling conspiracy theories blaming the illness on cellphone towers, fracking or even Covid-19 vaccines.

These are just some plot lines of a mystery that has stumped Canada’s medical establishment, attracted the attention of some of the world’s top neurologists and fanned fears among residents of New Brunswick, a picturesque province of about 770,000 on Canada’s Atlantic coast. In the past six years, dozens of people have fallen ill from the disease and six people have died.

People are alarmed,” said Yvon Godin, the mayor of Bertrand, a village in the Acadian Peninsula in northeastern New Brunswick where residents have been afflicted. “They are asking, ‘Is it environmental? Is it genetic? Is it fish or deer meat? Is it something else?’ Everyone wants answers.

Medical experts said the murkiness surrounding the illness also reflected how, despite extraordinary advances in medical science, some conditions, in particular neurological diseases involving dementia, can puzzle even the world’s best scientific brains.

The mystery, however, could also fizzle, if it turns out that a variety of pre-existing conditions have been prematurely ascribed to a strange new disease.

Among the youngest victims of the Canadian syndrome is Gabrielle Cormier, 20, once a straight-A student who participated in figure skating competitions and aspired to become a pathologist.

But as she began university two years ago, Ms. Cormier said she was suddenly and inexplicably overcome by fatigue, started bumping into things and had visions that looked like static from a television. No longer able to read easily or walk to class, she was forced to drop out of school.

Not understanding what was wrong amplified the illness’s horror. After being misdiagnosed with mononucleosis, Ms. Cormier said emergency room doctors then told her there was nothing wrong with her. A battery of tests yielded no diagnosis. She was eventually referred to a neurologist as her health deteriorated and she experienced involuntary jerking movements, memory lapses and hallucinations. She was among the first to be included in the cluster of those suffering from the unidentified syndrome.

Dr. Neil Cashman, a neurologist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, who is investigating the illness, said it was a medical whodunit of the type seen only a couple of times a century.

From the standpoint of a mystery, there is usually something horrible like a murder — in this case it is rapidly progressive dementia, and psychiatric manifestations, losing everything at once that is controlled by the brain and the spinal cord,” he said. “It is terrifying.

But other medical experts questioned the condition’s novelty.

Dr. Michael D. Geschwind, a professor of neurology at the University of California, San Francisco, who is one of the world’s leading experts on rare neurological outbreaks, hasn’t studied the cases or autopsies of those affected. But he cautioned that what can seem like a new illness sometimes turns out to be a known disease that hasn’t been diagnosed. Those affected, he added, could end up suffering from a “grab bag” of disparate neurodegenerative diseases that were being linked together.

The disease was first observed in 2015 when a New Brunswick neurologist, Dr. Alier Marrero, saw a patient who presented a bizarre mix of symptoms including anxiety, depression, rapidly progressive dementia, muscle pains and frightening visual disturbances.

Three years later, he had eight total cases. The next year the total was 20. Then 38. Then 48.

The patients range in age from 18 to 84 and live primarily in two areas of New Brunswick: Moncton and the Acadian Peninsula.

In April, six years after the first cases emerged, health authorities in New Brunswick and Ottawa, Canada’s capital, assembled a team of neurologists, epidemiologists, environmentalists and veterinarians to investigate. Brain autopsies of the six victims are being analyzed at a federal laboratory in Ottawa, while a team of neurologists and pathologists from across Canada is reviewing the evidence.

Of the three autopsies done so far, all have been negative for known forms of prion disease, according to Dr. Michael Coulthart, a neurologist who is leading the investigation.

Medical investigators said the list of potential causes had been winnowed down to four or five.

Dr. Cashman, the University of British Columbia neurologist, said one line of inquiry was that the disease could be caused by a toxin known as beta-methylamino-L-alanine, or BMAA, which is produced by blue-green algae and has been linked to diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. Another potential culprit, he said, is chronic exposure to Domoic acid, a neurotoxin found in shellfish from off the coast of New Brunswick. He said the team was not ruling out that it could be a new prion disease or a syndrome caused by an infectious agent such as bacteria, a virus or a fungus."

More in linked article above.

I imagine a lot of these stories are a mixture of police incompetence, lack of many actual facts, and a large helping of the media making stuff up.

A guy goes into a bar with some friends and then disappears. I think it's fair to assume that he didn't actually disappear, so the cctv footage that covers all exits had to show him leaving. Some cop was probably watching it looking for a white male between 20 and 30 years old wearing a dark coat. Maybe he took the coat off and loaned it to a girl he picked up.

Another was the deep sleeper. I can tell you what happened. The thief was dressed up like a prostitute, so she obviously spiked that lady's drink and then robbed her of everything she could find. After waking up and calling the cops, she couldn't tell them she had picked up a prostitute and brought her home, so she had to pretend that she knew nothing.

The old guy wandering around England at night ends up dead with a sock in his mouth. Probably just out there tweaking looking for a prostitute to satisfy some weird fetish that involves stuffing a sock in his mouth and kicking his ass.

Fresno cops after this guy. Yeah, cops will do that. They hate it when people start calling them out. The cctv footage is all there, so there isn't much of a mystery with his death.

There are also a lot involving "bizarre behavior". Meth addicts who have been up for a week, crackheads tweaking, and of course fentanyl junkies can spend hours stooped over like they're looking for something on the ground.

This is not to say that I don't love a good mystery like the rest of you guys. It's just that Occam's razor can explain quite a lot of them.

A great example of that is the rather bizarre Epstein case. A lot of high profile people probably high fived each other when he ended up dead after supposedly strangling himself with a couple jail issue towels and a two foot drop. The cctv cameras didn't work, the guards were asleep, didn't make their rounds as they were supposed to, and now he's dead.

Stuff not working in a county jail isn't exactly new news, nor are lazy correctional officers with nothing to do all day, so why not catch a few winks. then there's the murder/suicide/wtf itself. All I can say about that is he won't be the first suspected pedophile to end up mysteriously dead in jail.

It's all suspicious as hell, until you realize that none of it by itself is in any way suspicious.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sorry, the only kind of ghosts I'm into are Chinese ghosts of beautiful girls.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.