The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Paprika was on my list! I had it at #24. I don't like it as much as one of Satoshi Kon's other films (people who know me probably already know about which movie I'm speaking), but it still has many of the imaginative qualities that I like so much about the director. It's a wild film about the subconscious that slowly unravels into a dramatically satisfying story. Nolan fans who watch it will also notice that some of the dream sequences were obvious influences for Nolan's Inception.

A must watch for fans of animation!

I haven't seen 5 Centimeters Per Second yet, but I plan to in the future.

Here come the gongs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Paprika was really good, I loved it, but still it fell just short of my list. It would've been in the space between 25 and 30 probably...

5 Centimeters Per Second was one of the most beautiful animes and probably animation in general I've ever seen. But story-wise it kind of went down, and overall it wasn't good enough to make my list or even come close.

Paprika is a film that I wanted to see before I sent in my list, but I didn't. 101 Dalmations is a decent film, I thought it was okay as a kid but didn't love it, Cuella de Vil is a great villain though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, I gave Paprika
although on a strictly-visual level, it deserves much higher. I couldn't find anything substantial I'd written about it here, but here is a review my brother wrote for it that would make JayDee jealous. I haven't seen 5 Centimeters Per Second.

Lord High Filmquisitor
This has got to be one of the most disturbing visuals that I have ever seen in my life, which only makes me want to watch this movie all the more.

I have seen neither of the two most recent film, and haven't even heard of 5 Centimeters Per Second. It looks like I just found two more films that I need to track down and see.

The first 2 movies from my list.

5CM per seconds was very high on my list. Probably #5 or 6 I don't remember. I usually don't like romance movies, but this one is just perfect. the drawings, the characters, but specially the music are fantastic. You should all watch it!!!

Paprika was my #25, beautiful stylized animated film. I clearly see the inspiration Nolan used for Inception. Great film.

101 Dalmatians is indeed a classic, but I didn't vote for it as in my opinion wasn't enough to be in a list of 25 of the best animated films ever made.
I don't know why, but when I was putting together my list, I'm pretty sure 101 Dalmatians didn't even enter my thought process.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
5cm per second was on my list, quite low down, but it was there. Shinkai films have the most beautiful animation of any films, but the stories are, as others have pointed out, frequently lacking. The first segment of this film could stand on its own maybe better than the film as a whole. The story in 5 cm is more palatable than in Garden of Words which has already shown up, and this is the Shinkai film I'd most recommend of the three I've seen (I didn't get round to watching everything on my watchlist).

I've seen Paprika, it's very well done in some ways but I'm not mad on it as a film. I voted for one Satoshi Kon film but it wasn't this one.

Paprika should probably be on my list. I omitted it because i havent seen it in 7 years or so...

I havent seen the other one. The only Makoto Shinkai film i have seen was Garden of Words which i found overly sentimental, especially the climax.

Master of My Domain

These kind of horrific/brilliant visuals is only possible in an animated film... which makes them awesome. I wish more people would stop thinking animation is for kids and watch them as much as live-action films.

Where's Guapo when you need him?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Where's Guapo when you need him?

Don't know, don't care.

I can tell you, however, that he did not vote for any of the films that have appeared so far, though one of his choices will be appearing very soon.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
but here is a review my brother wrote for it that would make JayDee jealous. I haven't seen 5 Centimeters Per Second.
Pfft. I'm not impressed. I've written reviews longer than that. Or are you talking its quality will make me jealous?

And that's quite the movie loving family you've got. Both your brother and daughter have wrote reviews at one time or another