Carey Mulligan, AN EDUCATION
6.25%
1 votes
Gabourey Sidibe, PRECIOUS
31.25%
5 votes
Meryl Streep, JULIE & JULIA
16 votes. You may not vote on this poll

But, you know, to each their own. If you want to endow Meryl Streep with Sharon Stone's personality, more power to you, I guess.
lol... I was going to say that I could see where he was coming from if Sharon Stone or Reese Witherspoon had that kind of talent and universal acclaim. Now those two I could definately see thinking of themselves that way.

I've enjoyed watching Streep over and over. I think she is a powerful actress and does an amazing job no matter what role she takes on. Hands down she is the number one actress in the world and this is the reason she has sixteen nominations.

...Hands down she is the number one actress in the world and this is the reason she has sixteen nominations.
Helen Mirren? Judi Dench? Jodie Foster? Glenn Close? Jennifer Jason Leigh? Holly Hunter? Cate Blanchett? I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I'm not saying Meryl's not better than those actresses (I don't think she is, btw.) Neither am I saying your not entitled to your opinion. It was just the "hands down she is the number one actress" bit.

I like Bullock. She's sweet.
But is this a joke?
I can now say I have seen it all.

And I've seen Meryl Streep give the same performance too many times.

I love Helen Mirren but The Queen was a bore.

Nominating Gabby Sidibe is like nominating Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump.

Not much of a lineup.

I would say Carey Mulligan should have got it. For being cute.

I love Helen Mirren but The Queen was a bore.
Good thing Helen Mirren wasn't nominated this year for The Queen. Besides, she alread won for that one. This was for The Last Station.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't think there's any way you can say that Meryl Streep ever played a character as eccentric as Julia Child; at least not one as popularly-eccentric.

I try to look at the peformance in mind, not the actor's history other than the film in question. Looking back I think all of these wonderful women did a great job and Bullock actually seems to be the most engrossed in her part.

On a side note and just a basic triva question I guess: Can a single person be nominated for the same award more than once in the same year if it was for two different films, therefore comepeting against themselves?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As far as acting goes, it's only happened at some of the earliest Oscars, like Janet Gaynor winning Best Actress for three roles the first year, but I believe she won more for being cumulative Best Actress of the year than for beating herself. More recently, Bernard Herrmann was nominated twice for Best Musical Score of 1976 (for Taxi Driver and Obsession) and this may well have caused him to lose the award that year to Jerry Goldsmith and his The Omen score. One weird trivia note is that Barry Fitzgerald was nominated in two different categories in the same year for the same role, Father Fitzgibbons in Going My Way. He was nominated Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, winning the latter. This cannot happen anymore due to a rule change.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I don't think there's any way you can say that Meryl Streep ever played a character as eccentric as Julia Child; at least not one as popularly-eccentric.

Not even the classics, Death Becomes Her and She Devil?

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

On a side note and just a basic trivia question I guess: Can a single person be nominated for the same award more than once in the same year if it was for two different films, therefore competing against themselves?
Yes.

In the Best Director category back at the 2001 ceremony, Steven Soderbergh was double-nominated for both Traffic and Erin Brockovich. He won for Traffic (the other nominees were Ang Lee, Ridley Scott and Stephen Daldry).

Another Best Director double, Michael Curtiz was two of the five nominees in 1939 for Angels with Dirty Faces and Four Daughters. He lost to Frank Capra and You Can't Take It with You.

At the 2008 ceremony in the Best Cinematography category, Roger Deakins was double-nominated for his work on No Country for Old Men and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. He didn't win, Robert Elswit did for There Will Be Blood. Deakins has eight nominations to date, still hasn't won one yet.

Another cinematographer, it happened to Robert Surtees twice. Back in 1972 for The Last Picture Show and The Summer of '42, and at the 1968 Oscars for The Graduate and Doctor Dolittle. He didn't win for any of those four films. It was Oswald Morris and Fiddler on the Roof in '72, and Burnett Guffey for Bonnie & Clyde in '68. Those were four of Bob Surtees' sixteen Oscar noms, having won three times for Ben-Hur (1959), The Bad and the Beautiful (1953) and King Solomon's Mines (1950). His son, Bruce, was also a D.P. and had one Oscar nom in his career - Lenny (1974).

So, yeah, it happens.