2010 Best Actor Oscar

Tools    

Which of the Best Actor nominees gets your vote?
58.82%
10 votes
Jeff Bridges, CRAZY HEART
11.76%
2 votes
George Clooney, UP IN THE AIR
0%
0 votes
Colin Firth, A SINGLE MAN
0%
0 votes
Morgan Freeman, INVICTUS
29.41%
5 votes
Jeremy Renner, THE HURT LOCKER
17 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five Oscar nominated performances for Best Actor. Which would you vote for?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Haven't seen Crazy Heart, but see the above post for why I'm voting for Bridges. Renner was real good, though.

Also liked Michael Stuhlbarg in A Serious Man, Patton Oswalt in Big Fan, and Sam Rockwell in Moon.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

This is Morgan Freeman's fifth Oscar nomination, and he does have the one win in the Supporting category for his work in Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. He was very good as Nelson Mandela, not trying to play a large arc of the man's remarkable life but rather one year basically as he took power as the newly elected President after Apartheid was ended, and even more specifically mostly as it related to the Rugby team's quest for a World Cup. Considering Mandela is so well known, both physically and vocally, it's remarkable how well Freeman - who doesn't look a whole lot like him - really embodied him in his performance, capturing the man's essence. All that aside, Eastwood's film Invictus is solid but doesn't ever hit that highest level, which doesn't help Freeman's cause. Don't think he'll win his second trophy this year, but even at the age of seventy-two he's so good and so beloved in the business I'm sure he'll get other bites at the Academy apple before it's all done.

Colin Firth earned his first Oscar nom for A Single Man. He's been very good for quite a while now, and though he's probably best known for his work in comedy or as Mr. Darcy in the 1996 TV mini-series of "Pride & Prejudice", I think this is easily his most challenging role and he nailed it, following a closeted Gay man in early 1960 Los Angeles for a single day as he tries to deal with the sudden death of his longtime partner. But he has little chance of winning this first time in the Oscar arena. Hopefully he'll be back again.

At the age of thirty-nine Jeremy Renner is one of those fifteen-year overnight success stories. After toiling in small parts for over a decade, his big break seemed to have come in April of 2009 when he got the starring role in ABC's bizarre and cool cop series "The Unusuals". Unfortunately for him (and the audience), that show was quickly canceled before it had a chance to catch on. Luckily for him, though, he had a movie already in the can: Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker. The apolitical Iraq movie is essentially a suspense piece that happens to take place disarming explosives on the streets of a warzone. That he was basically an unknown face to audiences probably helped them get caught up in the story and characters rather than watching a known commodity of movie star. Well, he's known now, and an Oscar nominee. It would of course be a huge upset if his name were actually called on Oscar night, but he'll have other good directors sending scripts his way now.

I think George Clooney is the closest thing to an old fashioned movie star we have going this era. He's so damn good looking and had so much success that my natural, jealous inclination would be to hate the guy. But he seems so genuinely cool, so honestly self-deprecating, so generous, so loyal, so frickin' awesome that instead I find myself rooting for a guy who already has absolutely everything. Cary Grant had that same quality for me. Clooney's work in Up in the Air was not the kind where the actor disappears deep into character in a chameleon-like way, rather it's using his persona and looks to service this melancholy story about job loss and finding one's purpose. And boy does it work. This is George's third Oscar nom as an actor, having made the cut two years ago for Michael Clayton and winning four years ago for Syriana (in the Supporting category). Since he already has a win it may actually lose him a few votes this time around, but frankly I'd love to see that sexy, famous millionaire get up there and get another statue.

Jeff Bridges has a few things working in his favor: he's a second generation actor who has paid his dues and survived for decades, he's never won an Oscar before in four previous career nominations, and he's already won most of the other major awards leading up to the Oscar. Oh, yeah, and one more thing: he's perfect in the role of Bad Blake in Crazy Heart, an aging Country singer/songwriter who has never quite hit it big or managed to keep a decent relationship going for very long. It's a sort of Tender Mercies for the new millennium (it even has an appearance by Bobby Duvall). The sixty-year-old Bridges earned his first Oscar nom for The Last Picture Show at the age of twenty-three, something his beloved father Lloyd and brother Beau never managed. For any of the old guard Hollywood still around and voting this is a chance to honor the son of an honorable colleague. Oh, yeah, and don't forget: he's really, really good in the movie.

I wouldn't say Jeff Bridges is an absolute lock the way Daniel Day-Lewis was a couple years back in this category, but he's got as much of a pre-show handicap as say Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland and Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Now I wouldn't be totally shocked if George Clooney got the upset come Oscar night, but if he does it will indeed be an upset. This is Jeff's trophy to lose at this point.

As for some other good candidates who didn't make the Oscar final five, I thought Sam Rockwell was flat-out amazing in Moon, Michael Stuhlbarg went through the trials of a modern Job in The Coen Brothers' A Serious Man, Matt Damon did better work in the lead of Soderbergh's The Informant! than his Supporting-nom in Eastwood's Invictus, Peter Sarsgaard was very effective and understated as a charming creep in An Education, Lluís Homar was wonderful as a once great film director dealing with his blindness and grief in Almodóvar's Broken Embraces, Ben Foster was good as the soldier dealing with other people's grief and his own battlefield guilt in The Messenger, stand-up comedian Patton Oswalt was surprisingly excellent and deep as the obsessive Big Fan, untrained actor Algenis Perez Soto was nothing but empathetic realism as a struggling would-be Baseball pitcher in Sugar, Michael Shannon was terrific as an alcoholic modern gumshoe running from a tragedy in The Missing Person, and Johannes Krisch was mesmerizing at the center of Revanche.

my vote for Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)

Congrats Jeff...u deserve it !

Jeff Bridges gets an Oscar.

'Bout time, is all I have to say. He's a standard. Like sliced bread.

Why was George Clooney nominated, anyway? For playing George Clooney in a movie, like normal?

I'm not sure we should be penalizing actors for playing characters like them. Otherwise we've got to throw out all the acting in pretty much every neo-realistic Italian film.

I tend to think of it more as a plus for the casting director than a minus for the actor. I don't take anything away from Clooney for playing someone like him just as I don't take away from Lamberto Maggiorani's performance in The Bicycle Thief because he really was a normal person.

Anyway, setting all that aside, Up in the Air was a fantastic film and despite the similarities Clooney had with Ryan Bingham, there was still plenty of room to flex his acting muscles in there.

I wanted to say Clooney always plays Clooney. Unless it's a Coen brother's film. Then he plays his retarded cousin.
But I like Clooney. He can be funny.

My prediction was right. Jeff Bridges deserved it. I like this Gentle man.